Brits are a happy lot.

Old Dec 15th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits are a happy lot.

Originally Posted by chris955
I would guess they would ask people if they were happy, if they answer yes then they go in column A and if they say No then they go in column B. It really doesnt seem very hard to me.
Very scientific research.

You could ask the same people the same question the following week and get a totally different result.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course but what are you supposed to do, ask them if they are going to be happy next week or next month ? If you are doing a survey on whether people are happy you get the result by asking them.

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Very scientific research.

You could ask the same people the same question the following week and get a totally different result.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course but what are you supposed to do, ask them if they are going to be happy next week or next month ? If you are doing a survey on whether people are happy you get the result by asking them.
Therefore the results of the survey are only valid on the day the question is asked. Or to be more precise, the moment the question is asked i.e. happiness is in the moment.

If the thread was titled " In general Brits are content with their life.", it would perhaps give a more rounded result. I would suspect that most Brits who have returned to the UK after living abroad would fit into that category due to the fact that they have a new appreciation of their home country.

A link from the original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11765401
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

I remember Ken Dodd singing about Happiness: 'Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I pocess. I thank the lord that I've been blessed with more than my share of happiness.' Funny how you remember old lyrics. Ah, those were the days when life was more of a Doddle

Last edited by Returnee; Dec 16th 2011 at 2:10 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:14 am
Banned

Hang on, you didn't link to some story about why the UK is going to rack and ruin and why it would be crazy to go back because everyone is living in poverty
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Returnee
I remember Ken Dodd singing about Happiness: 'Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I pocess. I thank the lord that I've been blessed with more than my share of happiness.' Funny how you remember old lyrics. Ah, those were the days when life was more of a Doddle

Did you grow up in the 70s like me, perhaps? I remember those times fondly too, BECAUSE I WAS A KID! I'm not a kid now so don't have a child's sense of thrill in life, but I wouldn't say my life is worse now than then. I think you are looking back to the 'old days' with rose tinted specs!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

The English love to moan and carry on but I think deep down we are more content and happier with our lot than most.

Good book : "Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour"
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Englishman43
The English love to moan and carry on but I think deep down we are more content and happier with our lot than most.

Good book : "Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour"
Ah indeed, get that cuppa on and sit down and have a laugh about nothing ...listen to Brits talking and so much of the conversation is punctuated with laughter ...about nothing !!!
Yipee, it's cos we know who we are if you ask me .
Sue
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:51 pm
Banned

Yes, very true.

Originally Posted by ramblingsue
Ah indeed, get that cuppa on and sit down and have a laugh about nothing ...listen to Brits talking and so much of the conversation is punctuated with laughter ...about nothing !!!
Yipee, it's cos we know who we are if you ask me .
Sue
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tsk! tsk!

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon.

Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Did you grow up in the 70s like me, perhaps? I remember those times fondly too, BECAUSE I WAS A KID! I'm not a kid now so don't have a child's sense of thrill in life, but I wouldn't say my life is worse now than then. I think you are looking back to the 'old days' with rose tinted specs!
Yes, I should take my rose tinted glasses off, I guess. But, they have sentimental value, as I bought them for two bob at a market stall in London form a very jolly stallholder. Anyway, what I find somewhat interesting is how new vocabulary has entered the British language over the last few years or so, to describe people's status, condition. For example: 'my partner.' In the good old days a partner was not someone you were shacked-up with. Another interesting phrase is Binge Drinker. In the good old days a binge drinker was a pi**pot. Oh, I quite like the phrase 'their an item.' Still, there are lots of other interesting, enjoyable new phrases to help describe happy, contented people. Times change, as they say.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Did you grow up in the 70s like me, perhaps? I remember those times fondly too, BECAUSE I WAS A KID!
Same here. What I do remember was power cuts, rubbish piling up and having no pocket money for a few months. Reason for that? My dad had to go away for work and the Post Office was on strike. He had no way of sending money to my mum and the trip from London to Kirkcaldy was too expensive to do more than once a month. The 50p a week me and my brother got obviously made a difference.
Black and white telly, no car, bare floors because we couldn't afford carpet. Constant strikes. the 3 day week, etc. Do I look back and think I was deprived or something? Of course not. I was a kid / teenager growing up. I would go back to that in a flash. For my parents though, it must of been a horrible and stressful time.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 11:47 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Same here. What I do remember was power cuts, rubbish piling up and having no pocket money for a few months. Reason for that? My dad had to go away for work and the Post Office was on strike. He had no way of sending money to my mum and the trip from London to Kirkcaldy was too expensive to do more than once a month. The 50p a week me and my brother got obviously made a difference.
Black and white telly, no car, bare floors because we couldn't afford carpet. Constant strikes. the 3 day week, etc. Do I look back and think I was deprived or something? Of course not. I was a kid / teenager growing up. I would go back to that in a flash. For my parents though, it must of been a horrible and stressful time.
Yes, I remember those times too and Britain is so much better off now. When people long for the good old days, I always wonder which days they're talking about. In general, the world has moved steadily forward and Britain is no different.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, I remember those times too and Britain is so much better off now. When people long for the good old days, I always wonder which days they're talking about. In general, the world has moved steadily forward and Britain is no different.
Just read about Fuel poverty. The proportion of homes in fuel poverty in England and Wales has risen from 18% to 24% in two years, estimates suggest. Nearly 5.7 million households are in fuel poverty - when more than 10% of their disposable income is spent on fuel.
Also, Falling incomes will mean the biggest drop for middle-income families in the U.K. since the 1970s, says a report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies. The IFS forecasts two years "dominated by a large decline" in incomes, pushing 600,000 more children into poverty, By 2013 there will be 3.1 million children in poverty in the UK, according to the IFS projections.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.