Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British vacation for grandkids - custodial parent not traveling with them

British vacation for grandkids - custodial parent not traveling with them

Old Mar 4th 2018, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default British vacation for grandkids - custodial parent not traveling with them

Wasn't sure where to post this thread.

But my mum and dad (who live in London, England) and are British citizens with UK passports wants to take their granddaughters there for their summer vacation (June to July).

They are minor aged 6 and 3, they both have British and US passports.

Due to work I won't be able to go with them.

Their father and I are divorced and I have FULL CUSTODY of them.

What documentation(s) is needed for my mum to be allowed to travel with them?

Do they ENTER the UK with their British passports and re-enter the US with their US passports?
Old Mar 4th 2018, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British vacation for grandkids - custodial parent not traveling with them

US citizens are legally required to leave and enter the US using their US PPs. There are no such restrictions on entering and leaving the UK...therefore either PP may be used.

I would carry a copy of a letter of consent from your daughter allowing the children to travel with you to the UK...also a copy of her sole custody document. I would have them notorised by an attorney...as this would be the only form of notorised document recognized in the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British vacation for grandkids - custodial parent not traveling with them

A document proving your daughter has sole custody.

A document from your daughter saying that she wants them to travel to vacation with grandparents in England.

Notarized.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
A document proving your daughter has sole custody.

A document from your daughter saying that she wants them to travel to vacation with grandparents in England.

Notarized.
My mother used to travel every summer to the UK with my son when he was a minor, while I always gave her a letter with my signature notarized, she was never asked a question. I think grandmothers bothered less than fathers- travelling with my son as a minor a few times I was asked if I had permission to travel with him. Maybe things have changed now.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider sending the kids as unaccompanied minors. I did that with my son years ago and had no issues. Quite an adventure for kids, something to talk to their schoolchums about.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
You might consider sending the kids as unaccompanied minors. I did that with my son years ago and had no issues. Quite an adventure for kids, something to talk to their schoolchums about.
6 and 3 years old?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
6 and 3 years old?
You piqued my curiosity, so I checked just now.
And, amazing!, for all practical purposes British Airways does not do unaccompanied minor anymore, from 1 May 2018 onwards.
American Airlines still does though. Minimum age for unaccompanied minors on AA is still 5 years. A whopping $150 fee though! It was $25 twelve years ago. Wow, inflation!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 8:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Carry both sets of passports and use the British ones at the UK border. Provide your parents with a notarised permission letter. If you have full custody and it’s only for a short visit then you don’t need to consult the father.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 8:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

.. and, for completeness, I'll state the obvious: make sure they're (the kids) are travelling with a return ticket.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 8:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
.. and, for completeness, I'll state the obvious: make sure they're (the kids) are travelling with a return ticket.
Good point. Just print off the return flight reservations and attach to the letter. Stating the obvious but these documents should be carried on someone’s person or in carry-on luggage, not in checked baggage.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 10:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Just want to emphasis that the notary should be a practicing attorney. In the US anyone and his dog can become a notary...this is not acceptable in UK.