british passport advice

Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:31 am
Just Joined

minniemouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default british passport advice

hi there,

i am english and just waiting for my I129F fiance petition to arrive so that I can then apply for my K1 Visa to be able to move to the states to marry my fiance. so I am just trying to do as much homework as possible so that i know what to expect when the I129F arrives. I have heard that the embassy are very fussy about the state of our passports when they are arranging K1 visas. I travel a lot with work and obviosuly I am in the states as much as I can be visiting my fiance so, though my passport is not damaged at all, it is rather worn. The writing on the front page of my passport has rubbed off and it is a creased. Does anyone know if this will require me to apply for a new passport? If so I'll go ahead and apply for a new one now so I don't have any hold ups later on. has anyone been in a similar situation?

many thanks for any advice anyone can offer me.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british passport advice

I don't know about the passport question, but just thought I'd clarify that you won't be receiving an I-129F petition. That was sent in by the USC. What you are waiting for is a packet of K-1 visa application forms.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

how many pages are blank in the passport ?

If my passport is full I always get a new one if I'm getting a Visa that is to be used for long term. Saves getting it transferred to a new passport if required and if not saves having to carry 2 around all the time (the old one with the stamp / visa) and the new one without...

If no one has pulled you up for having a damaged passport then I'd say its not damaged - of course they embassy will reject it since you've asked the question.

My last one I had to damage (they wouldn't replace it as it wasn't damaged and not entirely full) so I could get it replaced - a washing machine does the trick.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minniemouse
hi there,

In the UK one can get a second (concurrent) passport without too much difficulty - the first one need not expire or even be close to expiry. Only issue is that the other passport will need submitting at the same time as the application. I have 2 UK passports - one is getting visas while I travel on the other (that's the justification that was used - my extensive travel). Not sure if this is helpful to you, but for what it's worth....

Last edited by AlanR; Aug 12th 2008 at 4:23 am. Reason: to 2 too
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minniemouse
hi there,

i am english and just waiting for my I129F fiance petition to arrive so that I can then apply for my K1 Visa to be able to move to the states to marry my fiance. so I am just trying to do as much homework as possible so that i know what to expect when the I129F arrives. I have heard that the embassy are very fussy about the state of our passports when they are arranging K1 visas. I travel a lot with work and obviosuly I am in the states as much as I can be visiting my fiance so, though my passport is not damaged at all, it is rather worn. The writing on the front page of my passport has rubbed off and it is a creased. Does anyone know if this will require me to apply for a new passport? If so I'll go ahead and apply for a new one now so I don't have any hold ups later on. has anyone been in a similar situation?

Before everyone goes off on a tangent, what's the source of your question? What did you read that leads you to think you need to replace your passport at all when by your own description it is 'worn' but 'not damaged at all'.

I would say apply for a new one now if it will be easier and less expensive/impactful to do it from where you are rather than where you will be when this one is due to expire.