British National returning from South Africa

Wikiposts

British National returning from South Africa

Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Anxious Brother is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British National returning from South Africa

Hi

New to site, but am hoping I might get some sensible advice here.

I have a 68 year old sister, who has lived in South Africa for the past 40 years or so. We are not close, but are in fairly regular contact. She has no children and is divorced and the rest of our family here is a dead loss. Like many in SA right now she is struggling to survive, my father (before he went into a nursing home) and I have been sending significant sums to help her, the last one of £5000 was to help her business expand, but I have learnt she used it to clear debts. I am not wealthy, and I had to cash in long held savings. I cannot, and will not send her any more cash.

She is now talking about coming back here for good. She has no money, unless she can get something for her house that won't be swallowed up in debts, no other family to help her, and I expect she thinks I will put her up. As I said, we are not close, and the strain on my family would be intolerable.

She gets some sort of reduced pension from the UK, what help, if any, would she qualify for if she returned home?

Please help.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British National returning from South Africa

Welcome to BE. I have moved your thread over to our MBTTUK Forum...I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Anxious Brother is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for that - fingers crossed!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anxious Brother
Hi

Thanks for that - fingers crossed!
The forums are usually a little quiet at the weekends...but you could take a look in the BE Wiki while you're waiting.

Category:Moving Back to the UK : British Expat Wiki