Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British Government going down fast!!!

British Government going down fast!!!

Old May 20th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Government going down fast!!!

Once again I apologise for upsetting some people in here but it was not my own country - the UK - I was having a bash at - it was the politicians who are riddled with double standards and the stink of sleazy tactics borne out of an increasingly greedy and acquisitive society.

No political party is exempt here - the Conservatives lost out big time in May 1997 for this very same reason, and since then Labour MPs have shown themselves to be no better in the way they have used the Parliamentary rules vis a vis the Expenses issue to their own financial advantage - in a mighty big way in some cases.

One wonders how long this crazy expenses system would have gone on unchallenged before the unsavoury facts gradually came to light on a drip drip case by case basis which clearly showed an astonishing number of our elected representatives at Westminster, all calling themselves "honourable" for God's sake, feathering their cosy nests by submitting claims for recompense for all kinds of bizarre things which had absolutely nothing to do with the actual job they were elected to perform as MPs.

Why should the MPs and Ministers get refunded for horse manure, giant plasma TVs, dog and cat food, moat scouring, antique furnishings and God knows what else - the list is a mile long - while we, the equally hardworking British taxpayers, have to fund all this Parliamentary greed and yet still pay for all these kinds of supplementary goods and services out of our own basic salaries with no such recourse to expenses claims to anything like the same degree.

I know for a fact that absolutely no way would I get away with a submitted expenses claim for payments made on a mortgage that had long since been repaid and get refunded in full. If I did I would not only be dismissed on the spot but would most probably find myself in a court of law on a charge of fraud.

I wonder how many of you fellow Brits out there realise just how angry the British people are over this whole affair?

As for what life is like on a day to day basis out there in America and elsewhere, especially when it comes to issues like this, then you are dead right....bang on the button - I don't have a clue. All I have to go on is what I see you guys and girls post in this very interesting Forum.

I repeat - I was not criticising my own country the UK - I actually like much about it and am proud of it for a whole lot of reasons. It was this particular Parliamentary system, the hypocrisy and double standards involved, that I was slagging off - along with our politicians who right now are way, way, way down in the estimation of the British public at large.

The next electoral test for all political parties will be the European Parliamentary Elections to be held on 04 June 09. UK turnout for these are traditionally very low...usually around 30% at most and even less in some of the metropolitan areas.

That's all.

Last edited by Lothianlad; May 20th 2009 at 1:04 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Please stick to slagging off America, criticism of the UK is not welcome here.
Haha, truer words never spoken.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I wonder how many of you fellow Brits out there realise just how angry the British people are over this whole affair?
I didn't really know much about it but was chatting to my parents back home last night and they were saying the same thing. That it's a massive issue and everyone is really, really angry with the MP's.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
I didn't really know much about it but was chatting to my parents back home last night and they were saying the same thing. That it's a massive issue and everyone is really, really angry with the MP's.
I don't think we do; my parents were saying people were throwing stones at the Houses of Parliament!

Maybe I'm not that bothered because I've seen what some US politicians do
Old May 20th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not angry about it. I think it's amusing watching them squirm in their own hypocrisy. The tories making a big deal about labour MP expense claims whilst their own were just as egregious was classic. Schadenfreudetastic.

That said I find it frustrating that these are the kinds of things the "British public" (for which read the news editors) get so upset about. It's a distraction from the hard challenges and choices that the nation faces.

And to those who won't see Britain besmirched on these forums - there's just as much nonsense here as in the US and elsewhere. Same crap, different continent.

There's a lot that I'll be glad to see the back of when I leave these shores - insular media, 'lad' culture, constant discussions about the weather, blatant xenophobia, homophobia and sexism dressed up as 'taking the piss', and (probably most of all), intellectually lazy anti-americanism.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:36 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

A driver is stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway.

Nothing is moving.

Suddenly a man knocks on the window.

The driver rolls down his window and asks, 'What's going on?'

'Terrorists down the road have kidnapped Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling,
David Miliband and Jack Straw.
They're asking for a £10 million ransom.
Otherwise they're going to douse them with petrol and set them on fire.

We're going from car to car, taking up a collection.'

The driver asks, 'How much is everyone giving, on average?'

'Most people are giving about a gallon'

P.S. Ray please get rid of that avatar I keep whacking my screen
Old May 20th 2009, 8:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
P.S. Ray please get rid of that avatar I keep whacking my screen
Sorry~ I will attend to that straight away ...
Old May 20th 2009, 10:31 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notacrime
I'm not angry about it. I think it's amusing watching them squirm in their own hypocrisy. The tories making a big deal about labour MP expense claims whilst their own were just as egregious was classic. Schadenfreudetastic.
One of the better theories I've come across is that the "main parties" have intentionally pushed this forward, so as to take their hiding in the (essentially meaningless) Euro elections, then play the "We've learned our lesson" card before the general election.

Incidentally, nobody has yet come up with a full reply to my challenge to list three problems solved by politicians that weren't caused by politicians in the first place.
Old May 21st 2009, 6:38 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Did I hear a 2 Labour peers is being booted out of the house of Lords now?

idiots, absolute idiots.

the lot of them.......

Last edited by Manc; May 21st 2009 at 6:46 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
I enjoyed your rant. I'm enjoying watching my Labour friends squirm even more. Especially the 'old labour' types whose heroes have been some of the worst offenders.

The fundamental issue here is that MPs are paid far too little. For years they've been scared to give themselves a raise (they vote on their own salary) because of how it would look to 'ordinary people' - and to compensate they have expanded the use of expenses to defray as many of the costs associated with being an MP as possible, (and often way beyond taking the piss.)

In a representative democracy you should demand the best and brightest to represent you. You're not going to get that if the pay isn't competitive. By paying too little what you end up with are either serial underachievers who are easy to corrupt (half of labour) or those who are already rich (all of the tories and the rest of labour.)

I'm moving back to the US in August. I will be very happy to get away from the self-referential london-centric insular auto-fellating British media. I really wish they'd just STFU and report on something that actually matters. Silly season appears to have gotten underway early this year.
I think 67k p.a. for a part-time job with a ridiculously generous retirement plan is not too shabby. Many MPs are raking it in with other jobs at the same time.

Besides, even if they were underpaid, in no other job would that justify taking money out of the till ... even if it was "within the rules"

It's a shame because I'm sure the many hardworking MPs are getting tarred with the same brush. And heck, if you have to maintain a second home for your job, you should be able to claim for maintenance (e.g., gardening), furniture, etc. But now it looks like they will throw the baby out with the bathwater. The greedy few are spoiling it for the honest majority.

Last edited by dunroving; May 21st 2009 at 3:37 pm.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Once again I apologise for upsetting some people in here but it was not my own country - the UK - I was having a bash at - it was the politicians who are riddled with double standards and the stink of sleazy tactics borne out of an increasingly greedy and acquisitive society.
In my idealistic youth I would sometimes rail in front of my mother about 'the government!'.
She was patient enough to point out that 'we' are the government. If there is anyone to blame, it's those of us who elected them to represent us.

There must be something to this megalomaniac personality thing that happens after election though. We're having a little trouble with our mayor here in Portland Oregon. He *seemed* normal. Right up to two weeks after the election...
Old May 25th 2009, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
In my idealistic youth I would sometimes rail in front of my mother about 'the government!'.
She was patient enough to point out that 'we' are the government. If there is anyone to blame, it's those of us who elected them to represent us.

There must be something to this megalomaniac personality thing that happens after election though. We're having a little trouble with our mayor here in Portland Oregon. He *seemed* normal. Right up to two weeks after the election...
I've been thinking about this and it seems to me that there's one big difference between then and now. Then, people went into politics after a successful career in other fields. Now, they are all so-called "professional politicians" - i.e. people who woke up one morning, aged 12 and thought "I know! I'll be the boss of everybody!!!!" I suspect there's a psychiatric term for that, incidentally (oh, you mentioned it - megalomania).

So while your mother's point was valid, back then, I suspect it's less so now that "professional politicians" appear to have taken over all the main parties. We are left voting for the lesser of two evils. And the problem with doing that is, we get evil.
Old May 25th 2009, 8:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I've been thinking about this and it seems to me that there's one big difference between then and now. Then, people went into politics after a successful career in other fields. Now, they are all so-called "professional politicians" - i.e. people who woke up one morning, aged 12 and thought "I know! I'll be the boss of everybody!!!!" I suspect there's a psychiatric term for that, incidentally (oh, you mentioned it - megalomania).

So while your mother's point was valid, back then, I suspect it's less so now that "professional politicians" appear to have taken over all the main parties. We are left voting for the lesser of two evils. And the problem with doing that is, we get evil.
Is that a long winded way of saying I'm OLD?!

Point taken.

PS: see 'Mayor Sam Adams'. I think that's his problem.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:00 pm

Is that a long winded way of saying I'm OLD?!
No, no, please don't kill me!

PS: see 'Mayor Sam Adams'. I think that's his problem.
I dunno, Churchill did a good job and he was permanently pissed. I'm really glad I googled it though. How else would I have learned that the kid he'd been knobbing was called Beau Breedlove?!!!
Old May 25th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Sanitation?
And the roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.