British Drivers License

Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Kiwis4Now is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Drivers License

Moving back to UK in Feb with New Zealand drivers license (been driving for 20 years already). What is the process for converting to a valid British drivers license?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Drivers License

Originally Posted by Kiwis4Now
Moving back to UK in Feb with New Zealand drivers license (been driving for 20 years already). What is the process for converting to a valid British drivers license?
For Great Britain:

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence
Exchange a foreign driving licence

For Northern Ireland:

Driving on licences from Great Britain, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle Of Man, Gibraltar or Designated Countries
Exchanging your foreign driving licence

The exact process may differ if you originally obtained your licence in the UK, but it's the same form you need to fill in.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:55 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwis4Now
You can drive in the UK for 12 months on your NZ license, before the 12 months is up you'll need to get a provisional license, you dont need to put the "L" plate on your car during this time then you need to take the UK driving test before the 12 months is up.

If you dont do that before the 12 months you'll essentially be treated as any provisional licensee.

Last edited by ldollard; Jan 14th 2013 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

If you still have your old British paper licence you may simply be able to renew it with your new address (you will need to submit a photo and you will get a photo licence). This does not apply if at any time you had a change residential address in the UK and failed to notify DVLC of change of address.
You might even have been moving back into the old family homestead without change of UK address, it is not unknown.

The DVLC does not even want to know about foreign addresses. It is renewing of licences that is prohibited by EU law to non-residents, not the holding of them.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldollard
You can drive in the UK for 12 months on your NZ license, before the 12 months is up you'll need to get a provisional license, you dont need to put the "L" plate on your car during this time then you need to take the UK driving test before the 12 months is up.

If you dont do that before the 12 months you'll essentially be treated as any provisional licensee.
New Zealand is a designated country, which means that it can be exchanged for a UK licence without passing a new driving test, even if no UK licence was previously held.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:46 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brioche
New Zealand is a designated country, which means that it can be exchanged for a UK licence without passing a new driving test, even if no UK licence was previously held.
good to know.

I think its pretty ridiculous that Zimbabwe is on there, you know you just slip the tester a $100 note and your passed. So strange.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:19 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
I think its pretty ridiculous that Zimbabwe is on there, you know you just slip the tester a $100 note and your passed. So strange.
I think it may have more to do with countries with driving on the left than how hard or easy that particular country's test is...? I know Japan & HK are countries with left-side driving.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:26 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I think it may have more to do with countries with driving on the left than how hard or easy that particular country's test is...? I know Japan & HK are countries with left-side driving.
Yeah probably, they should be more selective though, that's for sure.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of the driving test in Kuwait shortly after independence.
You had to demonstrates that you could reverse out of a designated parking space, stop, and go forward back into it. That was all.

When I asked about it they just said they wanted to be sure that you could handle an automatic. Many drivers from Europe had only ever driven manual transmission and did not know how to get an automatic out of "park" and brake with the right foot, not the left.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:57 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Reminds me of the driving test in Kuwait shortly after independence.
You had to demonstrates that you could reverse out of a designated parking space, stop, and go forward back into it. That was all.

When I asked about it they just said they wanted to be sure that you could handle an automatic. Many drivers from Europe had only ever driven manual transmission and did not know how to get an automatic out of "park" and brake with the right foot, not the left.
Incredible!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 8:55 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

I hear that the new British license has to be renewed every 10 years, yet another government scam. When I got my British license, Its expiry date is approx my 70 birthday, and I got that because I held a full Australian license and its also allows me to drive heavier vehicles, something I think now you have to be tested on.

Anyway driving is easy, its the rules people have trouble with
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
I hear that the new British license has to be renewed every 10 years, yet another government scam. When I got my British license, Its expiry date is approx my 70 birthday, and I got that because I held a full Australian license and its also allows me to drive heavier vehicles, something I think now you have to be tested on.

Anyway driving is easy, its the rules people have trouble with
The Licence remains valid - the photo part has to be renewed every 10 years.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:54 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:57 am
advocatus diaboli

Originally Posted by rebs
Im still using the old type, dont think I will be handing it in for the new type just yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.