British Drivers License

Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Drivers License

Originally Posted by Panhandle
Im still using the old type, dont think I will be handing it in for the new type just yet.
In many countries. like the EU, you have to haave a photo license as they don't recognise the paper one, the are not aware just what it is. You still have to carry the paper one as well as that one is the license, not the photocard.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:31 pm
--

Dave242 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Driving Licence

This might be useful to someone in a similar situation:

I wanted to know what would be a proper, legal way to deal with the following situation: I am moving to The Bahamas for about 6-8 years, and didn't want my UK Driving Licence to become invalid, lapse etc, etc.
As I already have a full Bahamas licence, I do not need to exchange the UK one for it.
During my stay in Nassau I will not be resident in the UK (50% tax? Yeah, right!), so won't have an address in my name. My current UK licence is due for a photograph renewal in 5 years.

Called DVLA and had a long detailed conversation ... Here's what I was told by DVLA:

1. Renew the licence now, before leaving for Nassau, so it'll have a fresh 10 yrs validity, taking care of my time away from the UK.
2. No need to notify them of me leaving the UK, as they are not interested in overseas address.
3. UK Licence will remain valid and the fact that it'll have my old address in a few years time, when I'm back in the UK will not subject me to a lovely £1,000 fine, as long as I notify them of a new address, once I'm here.

So, rather pleased with the situation, as I didn't want to do anything even slightly dodgy (friend/relative's address, etc), but on the other hand, certainly didn't fancy taking a driving test on my return (Bahamas DL can not be exchanged for a UK one).

Cheers,
Dave
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is crucial, as soon as you move back to the UK you must tell them your new address right away. (Unless you move back into the same address you left).
You must not drive around for a year on your foreign licence without telling them you new address and (at least) the number on your old licence.
If you are unable to renew a ten year old photo (because you are not allowed to if still abroad) you still get to keep the licence and can notify the new address on return. You may be fined for not renewing photo but you will still not lose the licence and can renew it immediately after moving back.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 4:07 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Yes, that is crucial, as soon as you move back to the UK you must tell them your new address right away. (Unless you move back into the same address you left).
You must not drive around for a year on your foreign licence without telling them you new address and (at least) the number on your old licence.
If you are unable to renew a ten year old photo (because you are not allowed to if still abroad) you still get to keep the licence and can notify the new address on return. You may be fined for not renewing photo but you will still not lose the licence and can renew it immediately after moving back.
What happens if you never had a license in the UK, I only ever had one in the USA.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
What happens if you never had a license in the UK, I only ever had one in the USA.
Then you can drive up to one year on your American license and during that time you must obtain a provisional licence and pass the road test.
For some foreign countries you can obtain a British licence on a reciprocal basis without doing the road test; USA is not one of those countries.
Most people in that situation will take a few formal paid driving lessons. To learn test technique as much as anything.

Last edited by holly_1948; Jan 20th 2013 at 5:46 am.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Then you can drive up to one year on your American license and during that time you must obtain a provisional licence and pass the road test.
For some foreign countries you can obtain a British licence on a reciprocal basis without doing the road test; USA is not one of those countries.
Most people in that situation will take a few formal paid driving lessons. To learn test technique as much as anything.
What a handy thread, thanks all! When I exchange my Australian licence for a UK one, does anyone know if my Aus licence is sent back to me along with the new, UK one? I did look on the relevent links but couldn't find that info. I would like to keep my Aus licence current as well if possible, so I can drive while back in Australia on visits.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:50 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What a handy thread, thanks all! When I exchange my Australian licence for a UK one, does anyone know if my Aus licence is sent back to me along with the new, UK one? I did look on the relevent links but couldn't find that info. I would like to keep my Aus licence current as well if possible, so I can drive while back in Australia on visits.
Yes you will get everything back except the fee
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
Yes you will get everything back except the fee
Bugger, that was my next question Thanks for the info Panhandle.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

What a handy thread, thanks all! When I exchange my Australian licence for a UK one, does anyone know if my Aus licence is sent back to me along with the new, UK one?
According to INF1D - How to fill in your application for a driving licence (D1):

If you exchange your non-UK licence you must send us your current one. We cannot return it to you.

I would like to keep my Aus licence current as well if possible, so I can drive while back in Australia on visits.
As a visitor, you can drive in Australia with a UK licence.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

I can see why they want to snatch a (for example) French licence when you exchange. But it makes no sense to me for an Aussie.

So I guess it comes down for Aussies to either (1) Exchange and give up the Aussie licence or (2) Get a UK provisional licence, pass the test and keep the Aussie licence. Your choice.

Who said the law is an ass?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brioche
According to INF1D - How to fill in your application for a driving licence (D1):

If you exchange your non-UK licence you must send us your current one. We cannot return it to you.

As a visitor, you can drive in Australia with a UK licence.

Yes, that is correct. The DVLA does not return your foreign licence to you.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 22nd 2013 at 9:54 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:58 am
Concierge

Ta for the info everyone. I wonder what they do with all the old ones.
Ok, stopped wondering now.

I'll exchange mine for the UK one and use it on visits to the UK as Brioche suggests. Heee-hawww!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok, stopped wondering now. ...
They probably send them, in batches, to Oz. Where they check you are not banned (and you are for the high jump if you are banned in Oz and fail to go the provisional+on the road test route).
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yes, that is correct. The DVLA does not return your foreign licence to you.
Which isn't a major problem, as if you move back to Australia you can easily swap the UK licence for a licence from whichever state you go to (and certainly in the case for Victoria, they give back your UK licence).
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Which isn't a major problem, as if you move back to Australia you can easily swap the UK licence for a licence from whichever state you go to (and certainly in the case for Victoria, they give back your UK licence).
Yep, same in QLD. We have all ours still.

Ok, stopped wondering now.

I'll exchange mine for the UK one and use it on visits to the UK as Brioche suggests. Heee-hawww!
They probably send them, in batches, to Oz. Where they check you are not banned (and you are for the high jump if you are banned in Oz and fail to go the provisional+on the road test route).
They send it back to the country that issued it.

www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/leaflets/INF38.ashx

"You must send us your non-GB licence, which we will return to the authority that issued it."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.