Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British citizens moving back to UK from Canada to retire

British citizens moving back to UK from Canada to retire

Old Apr 9th 2021, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizens moving back to UK from Canada to retire

Originally Posted by MrCheeky
My wife and I will be retiring to the UK next year as well. It's been exciting and stressful at the same time planning everything. Our house is sold and are now renting until the move. Couldn't resist selling in this inflated market and as you say, who knows what tax implication there will be in the future?

Regarding this point: 5) You can keep Canadian Registered Savings plans open but withdrawals will be subject to a 25% withholding tax in Canada. Cash in your Canadian TFSA before you go which would be subject to UK tax.While I am not a tax expert, my understanding it

We plan to keep both our RRSPs in Canada. They continue to grow tax free (in Canada) but there is no longer any contribution room. We will be converting our RRSPs to RRIFs after age 65 and receiving the minimum monthly amount which should be considered a "periodic payment" and not subject to any Canadian withholding taxes. These monthly payments will be considered as income at the UK end. (see https://taxca.com/blog-2016-35/ ) or HERE for the Gov of Canada source (TIP: search the page for "United Kingdom" to find the info more quickly. It should also answer your query regarding point #6,

We have already converted our TFSAs to cash given the rise in the markets. This money will be transferred to the UK and invested in a Stock & Shares ISA to grow tax free in the UK. The UK ISA annual limit is £20,000 ($34,000) compared with Canada's £3,500 ($6,000) yearly TFSA limit.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the response.
Just to confirm my understanding. For registered pensions payments from Canada we will not have to pay tax in Canada but will at our marginal rate in the UK? https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...#_Toc301246865
We plan to cash in our TFSA before we go. We intend to keep our RRSP's for the foreseeable future.
Boy it's stressful but we are really looking forward to returning home. We hope to put our property on the market in early May - we have been delayed for a couple of weeks because we are all self isolating. My son contracted COVID at school.
I have been looking at removal companies and are getting a quote from Crown. Initial estimates from Vancouver Island to Plymouth, UK is $10-14k for a 20ft container and some between $16-23k for a 40ft.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

MrCheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Thanks for the response.
Just to confirm my understanding. For registered pensions payments from Canada we will not have to pay tax in Canada but will at our marginal rate in the UK? https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...#_Toc301246865
While I am certainly not an expert in this area, that appears to be what is laid out on the Gov of Canada webpage. The issue that may arise from my research is that you need to make sure that the financial institution where your RRSPs are located are aware of the tax treaty and the resulting lack of witholding taxes on periodic payments. My view is that we both have substantial RRSPs and given our income, certainly do not want to take a 25% hit by withdrawing funds prior to our move. Our income should be less after 65 and the corresponding tax liability will be less as well.

I have been looking at removal companies and are getting a quote from Crown. Initial estimates from Vancouver Island to Plymouth, UK is $10-14k for a 20ft container and some between $16-23k for a 40ft.
My wife and I are committed to downsizing significantly and will probably do a door-to-door service such as Move Cube etc. Estimates are around $3,500 for a large cube which is probably the same if not more on a per sqft basis as a container.

Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Diane Rowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the Movecube suggestion. I will most likely sell my house in Toronto. Rent in Buxton in the Uk for 6 months. Then move a minimal amount of possessions if I want to stay in the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally, I sent the forms for my wife and I back in January to pay voluntary contributions but not heard anything as yet. I also requested a current statement of NI contribution years for us both online. I received the notification receiving my request, but again no further correspondence. Not sure if this has something to do with delays caused by COVID but I thought we would have heard something by now.
We are bringing our plans to return to the UK forward and will be putting our property on the market asap for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the current hot property market here in Victoria. The UK seems to be doing far better than Canada with the vaccine roll out. My wife and daughter have received their first vaccine being front line health care workers but my son and I will be lucky to get the vaccine by the Fall. This has been a really tough decision for us because our son is just completing grade 11 and we had hoped for him to complete grade 12 before we returned to the UK. We had to weigh up the risks of moving back now or waiting another year. The property market is currently insane in Victoria and starting to overheat, with the UK getting its economy firing again I think there is there is a real financial risk with exchange rates. There are also a few other major concerns with waiting until next year so we have decided to go this year all being well.
It takes DWP in the Uk about six months to initiate the request for AVC's once its in the system then they remind you each year.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
It takes DWP in the Uk about six months to initiate the request for AVC's once its in the system then they remind you each year.
They did say it would take some time. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

You can set up a direct debit for ACV's so you don't have to go through an annual process, and cancel it in x years when you have sufficient contributions for a full pension.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker
You can set up a direct debit for ACV's so you don't have to go through an annual process, and cancel it in x years when you have sufficient contributions for a full pension.
This is what we did. I believe it will automatically stop taking contributions once you get to 35 years, or stop taking contributions the tax year before you are due to receive the OAP, that is certainly what it did for us.

I started drawing my OAP this year and my wife will start drawing hers in November. Since we both will be claiming US SS then the question of WEP comes into play. The amount of OAP applied to WEP depends on the number of years NI contributions are made as a result of paid employment. If you log onto your HMRC account and navigate to the State Pension you can get a list of your NI contributions by year and save this as a PDF as it shows quite clearly the source of each year's contribution. The folks at the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy told me that when we apply for SS we should have that data on hand. I just saved a PDF copy of my wife's record as she will be applying for SS this year. Her record shows 15 years of voluntary contributions, 6 years from being a stay-at-home parent of a child under school age and 9 years of contributions from paid employment. So for the purposes of the WEP calculation her OAP from employment will be £176.60 * 9/35 per week.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Durham Lad,

Can you not get a bus pass if you don't get British pension? Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
You can estimate your taxes with this calculator

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

I don’t know how healthcare works in Canada but remember that you will not be paying anything for doctor and hospital visits in the UK. Over age 60 and things like prescriptions and eye tests are also free. Free bus pass also for those receiving their British State pension (OAP) - just got mine this year, works great.
Hi Durham Lad,

Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Hi Durham Lad,

It depends where you live. In Wales and Scotland a free bus pass comes at age 60, in England it comes when you are eligible for the OAP. Not sure of the rules in NI
Old May 1st 2021, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in a London borough, at age 60 you get free transport on buses, trains, trams & tube across London, including the few tube stations that extend beyond London's border. At retirement age do you get the pass that also includes free national bus travel.

The 60+ free London transport travel is incredibly generous.
Old May 1st 2021, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

If you live in a London borough, at age 60 you get free transport on buses, trains, trams & tube across London, including the few tube stations that extend beyond London's border. At retirement age do you get the pass that also includes free national bus travel.

The 60+ free London transport travel is incredibly generous.
That is indeed generous. I don’t know about free National Bus travel, not something I have ever looked into. I do use the Senior Rail pass which gets you something like 33% discount after an initial fee for the pass. I believe that is available from age 60.

Old May 1st 2021, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

My understanding is that everyone can get a bus pass that works nationally from retirement age. I wasn't aware of / had forgotten about the senior railcard - given the cost of train tickets, it could be very worthwhile.
Old May 1st 2021, 3:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that everyone can get a bus pass that works nationally from retirement age. I wasn't aware of / had forgotten about the senior railcard - given the cost of train tickets, it could be very worthwhile.
Yes I’ve had the senior rail card for many years. It pays for itself easily, even if you’re only an occasional user of trains. For instance, my wife and I took the train from Norwich to Liverpool, return, full price would have been about £95 I think, so that one journey paid for the senior rail card.

I think I’m right in saying that the bus pass gives you free bus travel anywhere in England, if you live in England. Not in Scotland, as their scheme is separate. I think a bus pass (for someone who lives in England, outside London) works on some London buses but not others. Complicated. Also, you can supposedly associate it online with your Oystercard, to give cheaper tube travel. I tried to do that but didn’t succeed. (I believe more people now simply use their debit cards to travel on the tube, rather than hold an Oystercard.)

Old May 1st 2021, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Diane Rowe is an unknown quantity at this point

What proof do you need to get a bus pass or a rail card. I am planning to move back to the UK around Christmas. I will be renting for 6 months. Also I need to request that
my British Pension be paid to me in the UK and not into my bank in Canada. Should I call them ahead of time and give them a contact address. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.