Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British citizen but born in Germany, want to move to UK

British citizen but born in Germany, want to move to UK

Old Mar 30th 2022, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

ECFirefly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen but born in Germany, want to move to UK

Hi, I’m new here and since my situation seems to be very specific I thought I’d ask here in this forum.
So I currently live and have lived in Germany since birth, but want to move to Wales because my girlfriend lives there and I’ve always wanted to move to the UK one day regardless, so that gave me the push I needed. Now my biggest issues is finding a job. I’m a currently still a student but will drop out soon, so I want to do an apprenticeship. The thing is, the government website on apprenticeships tells me to be eligible I have to be living in the UK. Is it possible to apply for apprenticeships while still living in Germany? I assume it would also be an issue that companies would probably want to see me in person for the job interview…so does that mean I have to move to the UK first and then apply? That would mean I’d have to work full time as something else until my apprenticeship starts, might be hard on my wallet considering I also have to find housing then. And then also in the meantime would I pay my rent from my german bank? I just have a lot of questions still in general and if someone could at least help me with the issue regarding an apprenticeship I’d much appreciate it. (I have completed the equivalent of A-Levels here in Germany)
Old Mar 31st 2022, 12:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen but born in Germany, want to move to UK

How long do you have to go on your degree?
Old Mar 31st 2022, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How long do you have to go on your degree?
I’m not sure what you’re asking, if you mean my bachelor’s degree I’d need another three years, but that’s irrelevant since I’m going to drop out.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ECFirefly
I’m not sure what you’re asking, if you mean my bachelor’s degree I’d need another three years, but that’s irrelevant since I’m going to drop out.
I don't know whether you can apply for an apprenticeship from Germany but why don't you try? What type of apprenticeship are you looking at?
Old Mar 31st 2022, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I don't know whether you can apply for an apprenticeship from Germany but why don't you try? What type of apprenticeship are you looking at?
I’m not quite sure yet, definitely something in the IT sector though with an emphasis on networking
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ECFirefly
I’m not quite sure yet, definitely something in the IT sector though with an emphasis on networking
Might be best to settle on what you think you want to do first and apply to see what they say. It’s quite a specific question for this forum and one where others are unlikely to have direct experience to help you. You say you’re a British citizen? So you have a British passport? If not, that should be something to do.
You’ve got a big advantage over many people who want to go to the Uk if you’re a citizen already but you may need to consider building up some funds where you are now to tide you over if /when you move.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 11:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be living in the UK when the apprenticeship starts but you don’t need to be living here in order to apply. You may need to fly over for an interview or they may be willing to interview you over Skype/Zoom. Presumably you will be living with your girlfriend so try putting her postcode in the search engine and see what’s available locally:

https://careerswales.gov.wales/apprenticeship-search