Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British by birth, married a non-Brit abroad, and now pregnant.

British by birth, married a non-Brit abroad, and now pregnant.

Old Feb 9th 2021, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Goldfish14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British by birth, married a non-Brit abroad, and now pregnant.

Hello,

I require some advice and guidance please.

I am 30. I was born abroad, but was British by birth, due to my mother being being British at the time I was born (she was born in the UK).

As I fell in love with someone not from the UK, I had to get married in their country in order for the UK to deem our marriage legal, and for the relevant visa application to be initiated. Our plan was to marry and return to the UK a week later, however, due to COVID, our flights got cancelled and we both got stuck abroad.

As I suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, I’ve been reluctant to move from where we are, as my immune system is weaker than the average person, and I personally know of people/family that contracted the virus more than once, and had a few deaths in the family from this disease. Subsequently, we’ve remained abroad.

Question 1: Do I need to inform the UK government or HMRC or any other agency of my whereabouts?

As my husband’s parents are based in Dubai, we are looking to shift to Dubai and start our lives in Dubai. This is because the climate seems precarious in the UK, and we do not wish to have our lives on hold any further.

Question 2: If I fall pregnant whilst in Dubai, what is my child’s nationality? Would they automatically be British? Would they be Emirati?

Question 3: If I’m shifting or have shifted to Dubai, what paperwork do I need to complete for the UK e.g HMRC, banks, etc? How do I legally “shift” there?

question 4: any other tips advice?

Note: I was living with my mother until I got married, so all my ID and information is registered to her address, however, we’re now estranged and so I don’t want her knowing my whereabouts or what I am doing. She was a controlling mother, who had and still has access to my bank accounts, credit cards, etc.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British by birth, married a non-Brit abroad, and now pregnant.

Does this post need to be moved to the UK section?

Questions on citizenship and odds and bods questions relating to UK......
Old Feb 9th 2021, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are "British by descent" and there are rules about passing on Citizenship to your children. I think Emiratis Citizenship will only be given to those born of Emirati parents. What is the nationality of your husabnad ? I am sure Brit in Paris or A,N.Other will be along to explain things better than I could
Old Feb 9th 2021, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You are "British by descent" and there are rules about passing on Citizenship to your children. I think Emiratis Citizenship will only be given to those born of Emirati parents. What is the nationality of your husabnad ? I am sure Brit in Paris or A,N.Other will be along to explain things better than I could

As this post is in the Welcome section we can't provide expansive answers......
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldfish14
Hello,

I require some advice and guidance please.

I am 30. I was born abroad, but was British by birth, due to my mother being being British at the time I was born (she was born in the UK).

As I fell in love with someone not from the UK, I had to get married in their country in order for the UK to deem our marriage legal, and for the relevant visa application to be initiated. Our plan was to marry and return to the UK a week later, however, due to COVID, our flights got cancelled and we both got stuck abroad.

As I suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, I’ve been reluctant to move from where we are, as my immune system is weaker than the average person, and I personally know of people/family that contracted the virus more than once, and had a few deaths in the family from this disease. Subsequently, we’ve remained abroad.

Question 1: Do I need to inform the UK government or HMRC or any other agency of my whereabouts?

As my husband’s parents are based in Dubai, we are looking to shift to Dubai and start our lives in Dubai. This is because the climate seems precarious in the UK, and we do not wish to have our lives on hold any further.

Question 2: If I fall pregnant whilst in Dubai, what is my child’s nationality? Would they automatically be British? Would they be Emirati?

Question 3: If I’m shifting or have shifted to Dubai, what paperwork do I need to complete for the UK e.g HMRC, banks, etc? How do I legally “shift” there?

question 4: any other tips advice?

Note: I was living with my mother until I got married, so all my ID and information is registered to her address, however, we’re now estranged and so I don’t want her knowing my whereabouts or what I am doing. She was a controlling mother, who had and still has access to my bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your post across to our UK forum. The regulars who hang out here will do their best to help you.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

1. If you have investments/income from the UK then informing the HRMC that you are no longer resident will save you tax
2. Sounds like you are a Brit by descent (born overseas to British parent) . So, no, child born in Dubai will not have British citizenship automatically. Don't know what Emirates requires for citizenship.
3. You don't need to do any legal/formal paper work to leave the UK. You just leave. Its paperwork for becoming resident in Dubai you need to be looking at

What nationality is husband?
Old Feb 26th 2021, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

I have moved your post across to our UK forum. The regulars who hang out here will do their best to help you.

My apologies - many thanks for assisting
Old Feb 26th 2021, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
1. If you have investments/income from the UK then informing the HRMC that you are no longer resident will save you tax
2. Sounds like you are a Brit by descent (born overseas to British parent) . So, no, child born in Dubai will not have British citizenship automatically. Don't know what Emirates requires for citizenship.
3. You don't need to do any legal/formal paper work to leave the UK. You just leave. Its paperwork for becoming resident in Dubai you need to be looking at

What nationality is husband?

Thank you for confirming.

So I have to give birth in the UK in order for my child to be automatically British? What is the process for making my child British if they’re born abroad, and if we decide to return back to the UK, what is the process for my child to enrol in school etc?

My husband is of Pakistani origin
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If child born abroad, I think you need to register child for British citizenship. Can't remember all the facts. Brit in Paris is our expert on this - they should be along soon.

You can't enrol in school in the UK until such time as you are resident there.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldfish14
Thank you for confirming.

So I have to give birth in the UK in order for my child to be automatically British? What is the process for making my child British if they’re born abroad, and if we decide to return back to the UK, what is the process for my child to enrol in school etc?

My husband is of Pakistani origin
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If child born abroad, I think you need to register child for British citizenship. Can't remember all the facts. Brit in Paris is our expert on this - they should be along soon.

You can't enrol in school in the UK until such time as you are resident there.

Agree, BIP will know.

Here is a handy page on Gov.uk for those not automatically entitled to British citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...er-1-july-2006

Old Feb 28th 2021, 1:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are British by descent yourself then your child will need to be born in the UK in order to be automatically British.

If they are born overseas then they will have no automatic entitlement to citizenship but may be eligible to be registered as a British citizen under certain circumstances. The main one would be if you have lived in the UK for at least three consecutive years prior to the child’s birth. Lion in Winter has provided the relevant link.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

And to answer your early question ...... no your child would not be Emirati if born in Dubai and never could be in your circumstances.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Your child will be Pakistani if born in Dubai