British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Britain - Worst country for expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/britain-worst-country-expats-642577/)

Aviator Nov 28th 2009 11:46 pm

Britain - Worst country for expats

It seems it may be better than Russia, but not the most popular place to move to...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...or-expats.html

Sally Redux Nov 28th 2009 11:48 pm

Re: Britain - Worst country for expats

Nothing to do with it but I was good mates at university with the 'Majorcan Pearls' blogger in the next column over :lol:

mikelincs Nov 29th 2009 9:59 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8131976)
It seems it may be better than Russia, but not the most popular place to move to...

as they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I bet, given different wording and different questions, then the UK could finish in top spot and places like Australia in the bottom few. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. And yes, I have devised questions for a NOP survey in the UK, so I know how they can be slanted to get the result you want.

kporte Nov 29th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 8132648)
as they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I bet, given different wording and different questions, then the UK could finish in top spot and places like Australia in the bottom few. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. And yes, I have devised questions for a NOP survey in the UK, so I know how they can be slanted to get the result you want.

This stuff is a crock.

Fleaflyfloflum Nov 29th 2009 11:49 am

And if the UK is sooooooooo bad for all these people how come theres a queue thousands of miles long trying to get in here? Not to mention the illegals who trapse across several countries dismissing them because they prefer to come here than anywhere else? :rolleyes:

As the Australians are so fond of saying... if they dont like it that much they can leave :D

Bevm Nov 29th 2009 12:25 pm

It's certainly an odd survey.

"the study of 3,000 expats from 50 countries,"

Did they poll 3,000 immigrants to the UK, or expats around the world? If they're immigrants, why call them ex-pats?

If they were immigrants to the UK, how long had they been here? And where did they come from? I can certainly understand people from some countries finding the food less good. I like many UK foods, but I wouldn't claim it's a great place for it.Also, many countries have different social patterns, so adjusting to new ones is hard, and the new home country might seem worse and difficult to understand.

Also, how many are fluent in English? That's going to affect things. Also, if they are economic immigrants they might well have had starry-eyed ideas that have been dulled, especially in the current economic situation.

Are the votes in favor of other countries by these immigrants who are now looking to move on, or was that UK residents who'd like to emigrate?

Either a lousy study or a bit of lousy reporting, or both.

Bev

Nu-Shooz Nov 29th 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8131976)

I wish it was true, then it wouldn't be as jam packed as it is. If they are unhappy i hope they all emigrate to OZ:lol: and leave room for us happy people.

Jules Europe Nov 29th 2009 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 8132887)

"the study of 3,000 expats from 50 countries,"

Did they poll 3,000 immigrants to the UK, or expats around the world? If they're immigrants, why call them ex-pats?

If they were immigrants to the UK, how long had they been here? And where did they come from? I can certainly understand people from some countries finding the food less good. I like many UK foods, but I wouldn't claim it's a great place for it.Also, many countries have different social patterns, so adjusting to new ones is hard, and the new home country might seem worse and difficult to understand.

Also, how many are fluent in English? That's going to affect things. Also, if they are economic immigrants they might well have had starry-eyed ideas that have been dulled, especially in the current economic situation.

Are the votes in favor of other countries by these immigrants who are now looking to move on, or was that UK residents who'd like to emigrate?

Bev

Its a survey and report that is purposefully vague to say the least. It actually tells you very little and gives no indication of where the people surveyed actually came from and neither a hint of their personal situation either. This report could have easily been written by our illustrious pilot friend rather than a newspaper journalist.

MartynK Nov 29th 2009 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 8132820)
And if the UK is sooooooooo bad for all these people how come theres a queue thousands of miles long trying to get in here? Not to mention the illegals who trapse across several countries dismissing them because they prefer to come here than anywhere else? :rolleyes:

:D

"David Norton, head of customer propositions at HSBC Bank International, which commissioned the study of 3,000 expats from 50 countries, said it showed that migrants are driven by more than financial considerations".

I doubt if HSBC wanted to canvas the opinions of the teeming multitudes who stood in the queues until they got through the gates, or crept in hidden under a load of vegetables on a truck from the continent.

Aviator Nov 29th 2009 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 8133120)
Its a survey and report that is purposefully vague to say the least. It actually tells you very little and gives no indication of where the people surveyed actually came from and neither a hint of their personal situation either. This report could have easily been written by our illustrious pilot friend rather than a newspaper journalist.

The full 34 pages for your enjoyment!

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/PA_1_...Report2009.pdf

rae Nov 30th 2009 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 8132820)

As the Australians are so fond of saying... if they dont like it that much they can leave :D

no one is saying its soooooo bad, just that other countries, lots of other countries are better.
the argument over why immigrants come to the uk in the first place i would say is a separate issue, its once they get here that is being evaluated, rightly or wrongly.

rae Nov 30th 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 8132887)

Bev

not possibly accurate then no? not even a bit?

Jules Europe Nov 30th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by rae (Post 8134141)
the argument over why immigrants come to the uk in the first place i would say is a separate issue, its once they get here that is being evaluated, rightly or wrongly.

How do immigrants get on in St.Albert?

Jules Europe Nov 30th 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rae (Post 8134143)
not possibly accurate then no? not even a bit?

The above phrases are rather like you then.

Elvira Nov 30th 2009 9:06 am

I don't really care whether peeps from other countries like it here or not.

I like it just fine :)