Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Britain - Worst country for expats

Britain - Worst country for expats

Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Britain - Worst country for expats

Originally Posted by iaink
Its in the study! (not the edited highlights in the Telegraph)
Found this in the study:

"Fewer expats from Canada return home regularly, with under half (44%) returning at
least every year. Globally, three-quarters (74%) return home at least every year."

But I think it's more about people going back to visit the UK rather than moving back. Think it's time for Google and chips.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
On this forum, there has also been references on what actually constitutes an expat and what constitutes an immigrant. Most who consider themselves immigrants on here, are unlikely to be queuing up and claiming benefits in the country of their choice. For this reason, the word immigrant covers a very wide range of people.
Yes, I agree, but I'm missing something here and I don't get your point. HSBC commissioned the survey and are probably using the commonly accepted business sense of expat, which usually refers to someone deploying to another country on contract or for a relatively short period, rather than moving there to settle permanently. I think the distinction is quite clear.

I simply cannot work out how this jumped to "Most who consider themselves immigrants on here, are unlikely to be queuing up and claiming benefits in the country of their choice. For this reason, the word immigrant covers a very wide range of people". Can you clarify this?

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Found this in the study:

"Fewer expats from Canada return home regularly, with under half (44%) returning at
least every year. Globally, three-quarters (74%) return home at least every year."

But I think it's more about people going back to visit the UK rather than moving back. Think it's time for Google and chips.
I was thinking about this bit, on the same page...

Over half of expats (58%) questioned in 2009 have lived abroad for more than
five years. The top three countries for settling down are South Africa, Thailand and
Canada, where 55%, 53% and 52% of expats respectively have lived there for more
than five years.

(39% have been abroad more than 10 years... once you make 5 years it seems most are then "permanent" expats)

The countries who produce the ‘expat-lifers’ (expats having lived abroad for more
than five years) include those originally from Thailand (82% of expats living abroad
more than five years), Bahrain (81%), South Africa (73%), Russia and the US
(both 70%).

From the graphs 4 % return in the first 6 months, another 16% between then and 2 years, so overall 1 on 5 in the first 2 years, and another 5th in the 2 to 5 year period.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
Yes, I agree, but I'm missing something here and I don't get your point. HSBC commissioned the survey and are probably using the commonly accepted business sense of expat, which usually refers to someone deploying to another country on contract or for a relatively short period, rather than moving there to settle permanently. I think the distinction is quite clear.

I simply cannot work out how this jumped to "Most who consider themselves immigrants on here, are unlikely to be queuing up and claiming benefits in the country of their choice. For this reason, the word immigrant covers a very wide range of people". Can you clarify this?

Thanks
Without doubt HSBC are using the business example of an expat abroad here.

The last paragraph is in reference to your earlier point, where you stated "on these forums" (Thread 27) I took this to mean forums like this one, I now see that you were referring to other types of immigration forums and not this one, my mistake and apologies.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

On this forum, there has also been references on what actually constitutes an expat and what constitutes an immigrant. Most who consider themselves immigrants on here, are unlikely to be queuing up and claiming benefits in the country of their choice. For this reason, the word immigrant covers a very wide range of people.
Immigrants are people who move to a new country. Not really a subjective term.

Expatriate is someone permanently or temporarily residing in a country other than that of their upbringing or legal residence.

One can be both, an immigrant to a new country, whilst being an expatriate of the country you originally came from.

It's not what you consider yourself, you either are or are not an immigrant and expatriate (that's the grown up word for expat) If you are living in your native country you are neither!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:05 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

How do immigrants get on in St.Albert?
they get on fine, probably because there is a real lack of spanish brick layers building dodgy houses and conning elderly people out of their life savings. how is business by the way?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
I was thinking about this bit, on the same page...

From the graphs 4 % return in the first 6 months, another 16% between then and 2 years, so overall 1 on 5 in the first 2 years, and another 5th in the 2 to 5 year period.
Appreciate the analysis- so a 20% return rate based on HSBC's figures -higher than I thought. Guessed it may have been around 10%. I'd agree with one of the other posters in that the report does seem to lean more towards people who move abroad as part of their job rather than those who emmigrate for lifestyle reasons. Having a good job is a major part of the whole emmigration thing so if that isn't going well it can have a serious impact on how you perceive your adopted home.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:09 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

The above phrases are rather like you then.
this from a spaniard who spent 3 weeks in the UK, then went back to spain after living off the state in England, paying no taxes and enjoying a free education. then comes onto a BRITISH expats site. this bit still seems to escape you, so i'll say it again, i understand it can be difficult for a knob like you to take it on board the first time, BRITISH expats site. that not spanish, not lived in the uk for a bit, not anything other than BRITISH
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:24 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
this from a spaniard who spent 3 weeks in the UK, then went back to spain after living off the state in England, paying no taxes and enjoying a free education. then comes onto a BRITISH expats site. this bit still seems to escape you, so i'll say it again, i understand it can be difficult for a knob like you to take it on board the first time, BRITISH expats site. that not spanish, not lived in the uk for a bit, not anything other than BRITISH
According to you before, I lived in the UK for 6 months.......Now its just 3 weeks According to you before, I worked in the UK.........Now I lived off the state and of course they paid for my 3 year degree which I managed to do in just 3 weeks!

You don`t seem to like foreigners or immigrants do you? They make you cringe-especially if they`re Spanish. What happened Rae? Did you go on a package holiday to Benidorm for a week and it rained everyday? Did a Spanish restaurant forget to put ketchup on your chips? Did a Spanish waiter spill wine over your cheap Tesco trousers? Did a Spanish stallion nick your woman or perhaps a Spanish person once poked fun at you!

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 30th 2009 at 7:27 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Appreciate the analysis- so a 20% return rate based on HSBC's figures -higher than I thought. Guessed it may have been around 10%. I'd agree with one of the other posters in that the report does seem to lean more towards people who move abroad as part of their job rather than those who emmigrate for lifestyle reasons. Having a good job is a major part of the whole emmigration thing so if that isn't going well it can have a serious impact on how you perceive your adopted home.
Thats the achillies heel of the study. For all we know those surveyed were only ever assigned to an overseas office for a couple of years or whatever before being moved again by their multinational employer.

Its interesting reading none the less, and certainly as far as the comparative strengths and weaknesses of Canada and the UK, the two countries I am familiar with, I dont think its far off the mark.

As a wise mans signature here once said "Happily Employed Immigrant = Happy Immigrant" (or something like that... I changed that sig a while ago now, so Im parapharisng)

Last edited by iaink; Nov 30th 2009 at 7:45 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:37 pm
rae
Settled.

According to you before, I lived in the UK for 6 months.......Now its just 3 weeks According to you before, I worked in the UK.........Now I lived off the state and of course they paid for my 3 year degree which I managed to do in just 3 weeks!

You don`t seem to like foreigners or immigrants do you? They make you cringe-especially if they`re Spanish. What happened Rae? Did you go on a package holiday to Benidorm for a week and it rained everyday? Did a Spanish restaurant forget to put ketchup on your chips? Did a Spanish waiter spill wine over your cheap Tesco trousers? Did a Spanish stallion nick your woman or perhaps a Spanish person once poked fun at you!
nope, i just deliberately write whatever i feel at the moment to sum and wind you up. it works every time. now away and bring me some greasy food spanish person on a BRITISH expats site.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Well, dont the two of you look mature

Chillax folks...remember the slightly offensive special olympics / internet "joke"
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:51 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by rae
nope, i just deliberately write whatever i feel at the moment to sum and wind you up. it works every time. now away and bring me some greasy food spanish person on a BRITISH expats site.
Have you been drinking again? Because what you`ve attempted to write sounds quite illiterate. Lets see if we can make any sense of what you`ve written and tidy it up a bit ok, we`ll also put in some missing words as well, here we go:

Nope, I just deliberately write whatever I feel at the moment to sum and wind you up. It works every time, now away with you young man and bring me some greasy Spanish food, while I sit here typing on a British expats site.

Now that`s better, people will know what you`re trying to say.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 30th 2009 at 8:12 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:57 pm
rae
Settled.

Have you been drinking again? Because what you`ve attempted to write sounds quite illiterate. Lets see if we can make any sense of what you`ve written and tidy it up a bit ok, we`ll also put in some missing words words as well, here we go:

Nope, I just deliberately write whatever I feel at the moment to sum and wind you up. It works every time, now away with you young man and bring me some greasy Spanish food, while I sit here typing on a British expats site.

Now that`s better, people will know what you`re trying to say.
no, you are not patronizing at all are you. i refer you to iains post above, which i WAS going to abide by.

i type it on here as if in conversation. i care not to pour over every word and sentence for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes as i have no need or interest for your observations or correction. this says far more about you than it does about me, pity you can't see it. then again with your head up your arse all the time what could one expect.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:03 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by rae
no, you are not patronizing at all are you. i refer you to iains post above, which i WAS going to abide by.

i type it on here as if in conversation. i care not to pour over every word and sentence for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes as i have no need or interest for your observations or correction. this says far more about you than it does about me, pity you can't see it. then again with your head up your arse all the time what could one expect.
At least make some attempt to spell the moderator`s name correctly, it`s iaink not iains

I guess a conversation with you, must be, very rewarding to say the least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.