Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Britain - Worst country for expats

Britain - Worst country for expats

Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Britain - Worst country for expats

It seems it may be better than Russia, but not the most popular place to move to...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...or-expats.html
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain - Worst country for expats

Nothing to do with it but I was good mates at university with the 'Majorcan Pearls' blogger in the next column over
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It seems it may be better than Russia, but not the most popular place to move to...

as they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I bet, given different wording and different questions, then the UK could finish in top spot and places like Australia in the bottom few. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. And yes, I have devised questions for a NOP survey in the UK, so I know how they can be slanted to get the result you want.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:10 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
as they say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. I bet, given different wording and different questions, then the UK could finish in top spot and places like Australia in the bottom few. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. And yes, I have devised questions for a NOP survey in the UK, so I know how they can be slanted to get the result you want.
This stuff is a crock.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:49 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

And if the UK is sooooooooo bad for all these people how come theres a queue thousands of miles long trying to get in here? Not to mention the illegals who trapse across several countries dismissing them because they prefer to come here than anywhere else?

As the Australians are so fond of saying... if they dont like it that much they can leave
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly an odd survey.

"the study of 3,000 expats from 50 countries,"

Did they poll 3,000 immigrants to the UK, or expats around the world? If they're immigrants, why call them ex-pats?

If they were immigrants to the UK, how long had they been here? And where did they come from? I can certainly understand people from some countries finding the food less good. I like many UK foods, but I wouldn't claim it's a great place for it.Also, many countries have different social patterns, so adjusting to new ones is hard, and the new home country might seem worse and difficult to understand.

Also, how many are fluent in English? That's going to affect things. Also, if they are economic immigrants they might well have had starry-eyed ideas that have been dulled, especially in the current economic situation.

Are the votes in favor of other countries by these immigrants who are now looking to move on, or was that UK residents who'd like to emigrate?

Either a lousy study or a bit of lousy reporting, or both.

Bev
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator

I wish it was true, then it wouldn't be as jam packed as it is. If they are unhappy i hope they all emigrate to OZ and leave room for us happy people.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

"the study of 3,000 expats from 50 countries,"

Did they poll 3,000 immigrants to the UK, or expats around the world? If they're immigrants, why call them ex-pats?

If they were immigrants to the UK, how long had they been here? And where did they come from? I can certainly understand people from some countries finding the food less good. I like many UK foods, but I wouldn't claim it's a great place for it.Also, many countries have different social patterns, so adjusting to new ones is hard, and the new home country might seem worse and difficult to understand.

Also, how many are fluent in English? That's going to affect things. Also, if they are economic immigrants they might well have had starry-eyed ideas that have been dulled, especially in the current economic situation.

Are the votes in favor of other countries by these immigrants who are now looking to move on, or was that UK residents who'd like to emigrate?

Bev
Its a survey and report that is purposefully vague to say the least. It actually tells you very little and gives no indication of where the people surveyed actually came from and neither a hint of their personal situation either. This report could have easily been written by our illustrious pilot friend rather than a newspaper journalist.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And if the UK is sooooooooo bad for all these people how come theres a queue thousands of miles long trying to get in here? Not to mention the illegals who trapse across several countries dismissing them because they prefer to come here than anywhere else?

"David Norton, head of customer propositions at HSBC Bank International, which commissioned the study of 3,000 expats from 50 countries, said it showed that migrants are driven by more than financial considerations".

I doubt if HSBC wanted to canvas the opinions of the teeming multitudes who stood in the queues until they got through the gates, or crept in hidden under a load of vegetables on a truck from the continent.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Its a survey and report that is purposefully vague to say the least. It actually tells you very little and gives no indication of where the people surveyed actually came from and neither a hint of their personal situation either. This report could have easily been written by our illustrious pilot friend rather than a newspaper journalist.
The full 34 pages for your enjoyment!

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/PA_1_...Report2009.pdf
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:15 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

As the Australians are so fond of saying... if they dont like it that much they can leave
no one is saying its soooooo bad, just that other countries, lots of other countries are better.
the argument over why immigrants come to the uk in the first place i would say is a separate issue, its once they get here that is being evaluated, rightly or wrongly.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:16 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
not possibly accurate then no? not even a bit?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:00 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
the argument over why immigrants come to the uk in the first place i would say is a separate issue, its once they get here that is being evaluated, rightly or wrongly.
How do immigrants get on in St.Albert?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:06 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by rae
not possibly accurate then no? not even a bit?
The above phrases are rather like you then.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care whether peeps from other countries like it here or not.

I like it just fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.