Britain Day ??

Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:24 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain Day ??

Originally Posted by mackinnon
EXACTLY.

However, and this is no excuse for it, you get brought up with it. It seems the norm.

In my case it just happens that I woke up & realised that it is indeed pathetic.

I can't talk for the East coast of Scotland, but in my experience in Glasgow when ambivalence is displayed towards anything English it usually has roots based in Irish Nationalism.

I've met a lot of people from Scotland, Ireland & Australia that blame all their country's problems on the English.

But then, these people have usually been inadequate in some way themselves.
I do find the scottish character sometimes confusing as an example i was at an old firm game here in aussie the other week with a few scottish mates who are great blokes BUT arnt backwards at coming forwards when voicing their opinions of anything english and i dont mean in a good way either but at the end of the game they were singing God save the Queen .
Now i know the old firm game is a bit sectarian at times and this must be the only reason 300 scots men would sing what is fundamentaly an english song dressed up as the British national anthem .
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:44 am
Just Joined

nelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nice

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
To be fair, JAJ did go on to mention that this was probably a noisy minority. And i do have to agree. Scots walking around in Trinidad/Argentina/whomever england are playing, football shirts (or whatever), is a bit childish, dont you agree? If i thought that they felt the same way about my home country (england) then i wouldn't have a problem supporting Scotland against other teams (esp Rangers when they play in Europe!)
It certainly wasn't a noisy minority who refused to support England in the World Cup.I know-Iwas there.
A comment that I heard made by a relative (who lives in England) was that the English "are bad losers and even worse winners".

The whole Britishness Day nonsense has been brought up by the Labour Party who are about to elect ANOTHER Scottish Prime Minister.This time it is more obvious because he (Gorden Brown) has a Scottish accent(how common) and he is trying to prove his "Britishness" to make him popular with the English voters.
What would the English do if Gorden Brown was black, Jewish and homosexual as well as Scottish.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:57 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsie
It certainly wasn't a noisy minority who refused to support England in the World Cup.I know-Iwas there.
A comment that I heard made by a relative (who lives in England) was that the English "are bad losers and even worse winners".

The whole Britishness Day nonsense has been brought up by the Labour Party who are about to elect ANOTHER Scottish Prime Minister.This time it is more obvious because he (Gorden Brown) has a Scottish accent(how common) and he is trying to prove his "Britishness" to make him popular with the English voters.
What would the English do if Gorden Brown was black, Jewish and homosexual as well as Scottish.
Well i dont know about ''bad losers'' i think the english are quite good at losing after all they have been doing it in just about every sport for years and do it very convincingly.
Inregards to ''winning '' well they havent won anything since ''66 so there are a few english ,scots,welsh etc who have never experienced the joys of a winning englishman .
I do seem to remember the scots used to get their sporrans in a twist at the home internationals ,pinching turf and taking it back north of the border etc etc

Last edited by king kong; Jun 8th 2007 at 10:00 am.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Once again. No-one should expect Scots to support England. It is the cheering for third countries against England that is pathetic behaviour.

The whole Britishness Day nonsense has been brought up by the Labour Party who are about to elect ANOTHER Scottish Prime Minister.
Tony Blair (for all his failings) may have been born in Scotland but is effectively English. And when was the last time there was a Scottish Prime Minister? Not since 1935 (Ramsay MacDonald).
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

nelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nicenelsie is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. No-one should expect Scots to support England. It is the cheering for third countries against England that is pathetic behaviour.

Tony Blair (for all his failings) may have been born in Scotland but is effectively English. And when was the last time there was a Scottish Prime Minister? Not since 1935 (Ramsay MacDonald).
What is the definition of a 3rd country?
The Aussies don't automatically support New Zealand just because they are neighbours.The US isn't expected to support Mexico because the are geographically north of them.I'm sure the Danish don't support the Germans.

Is there a sporting rule that I am unaware of that states that a country that is geographically north of another must support its Southern neighbour?

I actually sat and watched an England v ? game with my English friend and Irish husband.She knew I wouldn't support England(being OZ/Scottish) but I bought her an "English supporters kit" from the supermarket-flags and other red and white things-and some French wine and she was happy.

I think what annoys most Scots is the biased TV coverage.Because England has the major population the BBC favour England.Whenever a Scottish Team or individual is winning they are adopted as British but return to being Scottish when they lose.

Last edited by nelsie; Jun 8th 2007 at 10:13 pm. Reason: thought of something to add
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What is the definition of a 3rd country?
The Aussies don't automatically support New Zealand just because they are neighbours.The US isn't expected to support Mexico because the are geographically north of them.I'm sure the Danish don't support the Germans.

Is there a sporting rule that I am unaware of that states that a country that is geographically north of another must support its Southern neighbour?
Absolutely none. And if you actually read my posts I was not suggesting anything otherwise.

What I was suggesting that it is pathetic for some Scots to support other countries simply because they are playing against England.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Inregards to ''winning '' well they havent won anything since ''66 so there are a few english ,scots,welsh etc who have never experienced the joys of a winning englishman .
ERRR, doesnt being current rugby world champions count??

(though, prob not for not much longer!!)

And though got hammered last time (5-0!), 2005 ashes series was a GREAT victory

Last edited by adiestubbs; Jun 9th 2007 at 1:50 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

I think what annoys most Scots is the biased TV coverage.Because England has the major population the BBC favour England.Whenever a Scottish Team or individual is winning they are adopted as British but return to being Scottish when they lose.
This is one of the biggest myths thats been sent round by bitter Scots for years.

Can you think of an example?

For the record

Andy Murray is almost always referred to as "Scotlands Andy Murray" by the BBC, but they will mention that he is Britains number 1 ( which he is and who he plays for in the Davis Cup)

Celtic fans are not shy at reminding people that they were the first "British" team to win the European cup.

Scots who do well at the Oympics (both summer and winter) are adopted as British because Britain is the team they represent. Commentators usually clarify that the Scot, Welshman or whatever is in lane 1 for example.

There probably is more coverage about England than Scotland, but purely because we are a much larger nation in both demographic and monetary terms. Besides, English licence payers probably pay for 80-90% of the BBC's budget anyway!!

In fact, watch/listen to the BBC for a day. Scots weather presenters, newsreaders, commentators, programme presenters, continuaty announcers etc dominate the BBC despite being only about 10% of the UK population.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:23 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Northern Ireland is part of "Britain" in exactly the same way as Hawaii is part of "America", or Tasmania part of "Australia".

You may want to note that the Isle of Wight, Scilly Isles, Shetland Islands and Hebrides are not part of the island called "Great Britain" either.
Shetland and the Hebrides are part of Scotland, therefore part of Great Britain
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:18 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
In a geographic context, Great Britain is the island itself and does not include offshore islands.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:19 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
In a geographic context, Great Britain is the island itself and does not include offshore islands.
Someone had a good Venn diagram for these matters on here once.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:15 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

I think it must be an english-speaking nation thing. Im sure the Aussies wouldnt support the Kiwis, or the Canadians support the Americans. Prob quite the opposite in fact. But one only has to watch eurovision song contest to see that in Europe, neighbours stick together!!
Many Australians, myself included, certainly would and do support New Zealand. Personally, I would support them against almost everyone else (not against Britain, England or Scotland in my case, but any other country that I can think of).

To support anyone but your neighbouring country simply because they are playing against your neighbour seems to be rather pathetic to me.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:17 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Geographically, these islands are a part of the British Isles but not a part of Great Britain, which is itself the island on which mainland England, Scotland and Wales are situated.

Politically, they are of course part of Scotland and part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). They are also part of what is loosely termed "Britain".
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:36 am
Just Joined

This is one of the biggest myths thats been sent round by bitter Scots for years.

Can you think of an example?

For the record

Andy Murray is almost always referred to as "Scotlands Andy Murray" by the BBC, but they will mention that he is Britains number 1 ( which he is and who he plays for in the Davis Cup)

Celtic fans are not shy at reminding people that they were the first "British" team to win the European cup.

Scots who do well at the Oympics (both summer and winter) are adopted as British because Britain is the team they represent. Commentators usually clarify that the Scot, Welshman or whatever is in lane 1 for example.

There probably is more coverage about England than Scotland, but purely because we are a much larger nation in both demographic and monetary terms. Besides, English licence payers probably pay for 80-90% of the BBC's budget anyway!!

In fact, watch/listen to the BBC for a day. Scots weather presenters, newsreaders, commentators, programme presenters, continuaty announcers etc dominate the BBC despite being only about 10% of the UK population.
The womens curling team (all Scots) were descrbed as English by the BBC during the winter olympics a few years ago.I doubt any English would know what curling is.

Back to the topic-I doubt you would find many Scots interested in a Britain Day as they know it just means "England Day" to the English.
Most English don't know the difference between the words England and Britain.Maybe the money would better spent educating the English on the geography,culture and history of the rest of Britain(ie Wales and Scotland) and then they could sit a British citizenship test.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The womens curling team (all Scots) were descrbed as English by the BBC during the winter olympics a few years ago.I doubt any English would know what curling is.

Back to the topic-I doubt you would find many Scots interested in a Britain Day as they know it just means "England Day" to the English.
Most English don't know the difference between the words England and Britain.Maybe the money would better spent educating the English on the geography,culture and history of the rest of Britain(ie Wales and Scotland) and then they could sit a British citizenship test.
I remember the team being described as the "British" team.

Scots will prob not be interested in Britain day because a majority of them do not consider themselves to be British, but scottish and scottish only.Except for Rangers games, you will find few Union flags north of the border.Perhaps the English are narrow-minded and consider England/Britain to be the same thing. However, England is 90% of the population and has also pretty much all the wealth.

I also think that many Scots like to critisize England and the English and think that we think the same about them and that they are the "auld enemy". In fact, the english used to think that Scots were pretty decent until this "anti-english" mentallity has emerged, esp after devolution. In fact, most english couldn't care less about Scotland, whether in political or sporting terms. There is certainly a growing "let em go their own way, and pay for it themselves" attitude emerging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.