Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BRIT married to USC wants to return family to UK

BRIT married to USC wants to return family to UK

Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

CRABBY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BRIT married to USC wants to return family to UK

Hi all! I came here with my kids and married a USC. My paperwork is in the hands of a lawyer and getting done. Once its completed, how do we go about getting my USC spouse to move back to UK with us? Will UK accept my USC spouse or must we fill in loads of UK immigration paperwork? Ideally, we would want dual citizenship for us all so that we can travel to and fro between relatives without problems. Help appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:30 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRIT married to USC wants to return family to UK

Originally Posted by CRABBY
Hi all! I came here with my kids and married a USC. My paperwork is in the hands of a lawyer and getting done. Once its completed, how do we go about getting my USC spouse to move back to UK with us? Will UK accept my USC spouse or must we fill in loads of UK immigration paperwork? Ideally, we would want dual citizenship for us all so that we can travel to and fro between relatives without problems. Help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Crabby. For your spouse it's an easy process. Go to www.britainusa.com and download the spousal visa. Doesnt take very long.
As far as dual citizenship for you all, thats a more difficult issue. You need JAJ to fill you in on those details.
calle
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRIT married to USC wants to return family to UK

Originally Posted by CRABBY
If you mean your immigration paperwork, then you need to get your green cards and wait three years before applying to become a naturalised US citizen. Your children should get US citizenship the same time as you.

Then you need to undertake the process in reverse to get your spouse to the UK - a spouse visa, followed by three years living in the UK and an application for British citizenship (assuming you're a British citizen yourself).

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk is the place to start.

However, you can't run this process in parallel - if you want to have dual citizenship, wait out the time to get your US citizenship and then look at spouse visas for the UK.

Jeremy