Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing US partner back to England with me

Wikiposts

Bringing US partner back to England with me

Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:38 am
Banned

brindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bringing US partner back to England with me

Maybe the wrong section, hell maybe I'm on the wrong forum, but a little guidance or help would be greatly appreciated in what is being a very hard time for me.

I came to the US as a conditional permanent resident after marrying an American citizen back in England. After many years of marriage, everything fell apart early last year and we spent the last two years apart. We are in the middle of divorce proceedings.

I am now contemplating returning to England with my current partner and would like to know what options I have as far as bringing her with me. What is the best course of action? Is there a particular visa or course of action that I could take that would allow her to stay in the UK longer than the six months visitor visa?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you friends.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing US partner back to England with me

Originally Posted by brindlebrundle
I came to the US as a conditional permanent resident after marrying an American citizen back in England. After many years of marriage, everything fell apart early last year and we spent the last two years apart. We are in the middle of divorce proceedings.
Are you going to wait until your divorce proceedings are final?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:41 am
Banned

brindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Are you going to wait until your divorce proceedings are final?
Yes. The divorce process, when each person is working mutually, should only take a total of 4-6 months, so that works out fine.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The divorce process, when each person is working mutually, should only take a total of 4-6 months, so that works out fine.
Hmmm.

Is marriage to your current partner not an option?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Hmmm.

Is marriage to your current partner not an option?
It's a possibility, but I don't want to rush into the same mistake twice. My original plan was t bring her over on the 6 months visitor visa, and if things continue to work out as wonderfully as they have been, then propose. However, I read on the UK Govt site that it is illegal now to marry on a visitor visa. Not sure if this is true or not.

I appreciate the help so far, snowbunny.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 7:47 am
Lapine Member

It's a possibility, but I don't want to rush into the same mistake twice. My original plan was t bring her over on the 6 months visitor visa, and if things continue to work out as wonderfully as they have been, then propose. However, I read on the UK Govt site that it is illegal now to marry on a visitor visa. Not sure if this is true or not.
Yes, I stumbled across that one a week or so ago.

She would have to have a fiancee visa to marry in the UK; no visa, no licence. She must be out of the country to apply for one.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe the wrong section, hell maybe I'm on the wrong forum, but a little guidance or help would be greatly appreciated in what is being a very hard time for me.

I am now contemplating returning to England with my current partner and would like to know what options I have as far as bringing her with me. What is the best course of action? Is there a particular visa or course of action that I could take that would allow her to stay in the UK longer than the six months visitor visa?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you friends.

If u don’t want to marry her you could always get her the 'unmarried partners visa' but you have to prove you've lived together for 2 years (like a common law spouse) and you cant count the time you lived together when you were still married to your wife….. How old is ur wife? She might qualify for a working holiday visa but for US citizens its only valid for 6 months I think, best option is to either live together 2 years or marry, only way really
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:24 am
Lapine Member

Did you complete either the AOS process to become an LPR, or get citizenship?

That of course affects your ability to stay in the US with your partner.

Oh, and um, there is a marriage-based visa forum here. It's primarily for US Marriage Based Visas but some know the reverse situation. You may wish to try your question in that forum.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:24 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Go to britainusa.com for information on the visas available.

If your partner comes to visit the UK for up to six months, (with no visa this is not a guaranteed length of time, just the upper limit) then she will be unable to work or look for work.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the wrong section, hell maybe I'm on the wrong forum,
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/