Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing in restricted items

Bringing in restricted items

Old Mar 29th 2021, 12:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing in restricted items

No concrete plans to move to the UK yet, but hoping. To that end, trying to sort stuff out ahead of time so as to be able to get said stuff done relatively easily if/when the opp occurs.

So, knives. OH has a collection of khukris. They are all "old", but for the most part don't know how old and there is no documentation.

I think, from the Gov.UK site, that he is ok in that I don't think any of them have a blade over 50 centimeters, and I think they must be pre-1954 but there's nothing at all to prove that of course.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-c...ensive-weapons

Can/should these be shipped with household goods? Carried personally in hold baggage on a flight? Other?

Any experience anyone has would be good.

He also has a few antique items, also with no documentation, that may contain actual ivory in the handle etc. Just tiny bits of it for decoration, etc. And he has a walrus tooth scrimshaw that was the door handle of his grandfather's antiques shop in London, that has already travelled across the Atlantic once, coming this way. Due to the ivory, are they banned from returning?