Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing gold jewellery into UK

Bringing gold jewellery into UK

Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:17 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing gold jewellery into UK

We have finally made the decision to come back to UK after 14 years overseas. I will be travelling into UK on 29th June, my wife will follow around 14th July.

I want to bring back a bag of her gold jewellery which my wife has accumulated over the years. probably around 50 items including necklaces, earrings, bracelets. Mainly 22 and 24 Carat. We don't have many receipts for them.

These have all been purchased at different times, and nothing in the last 2 years.

Can I just walk into UK with them if they are personal belongings and not merchandise?
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing gold jewellery into UK

first thing I would do is get a valuation (itemized appraisal certificate) done locally, you just never know, it could be worth pennies or up to a cool million hopefully?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._to_the_UK.pdf

then the following

The import duty rate for importing Jewelry into United Kingdom is 2.5%

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/a...outside-the-eu

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...side-the-ec-c3

Last edited by not2old; Jun 15th 2015 at 3:06 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:36 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that if it was personal items, and had not been bought specially to be taken to the UK, then it would attract no duty at all. they are really looing for people who go on holiday, but a couple of expensive items and then try to take them into the UK as if they had had them before they left for the holiday.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

mikelincs, the issue is the challenge from UK customs as to it being personal property & its value - the proof.

As suggested to the OP above, get a written appraisal from a local jeweller with the owners name and address on the appraisal.

Then for customs purposes fill in C3 below

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...side-the-ec-c3

Last edited by not2old; Jun 15th 2015 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mike. When I have been visiting the UK I have never been asked about my jewellery...same with watches, iPad, iPhone. I have a large leather zipped jewellery case which is in my hand luggage. The Immigration officer has no idea whether I am visiting or staying.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

From post #2 & post #4 just saying....the OP can make a decision

the following extract from notes that go with C3

People Moving or Returning to the UK

If you’re moving or returning to the UK (including British subjects) from outside the EU, you can import your belongings free of duty and tax provided you’ve lived at least 12 months outside the EU. Your possessions must have been used for at least six months outside the EU before being imported. Tax and duty must have been paid on all items being imported (this isn’t applicable to diplomats, members of officially recognised international organisations, members of NATO or British forces and their spouses, and any civilian staff accompanying them). Articles must be for your personal use, must be declared to customs, and you mustn’t sell, lend, hire out, or otherwise dispose of them in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU) within 12 months, without customs authorisation.

General information

A list of all items you’re bringing in is useful, although the customs officer may still want to examine your belongings. If you need to pay duty or tax, it must be paid at the time the goods are brought into the country. Customs accept cash (sterling only); personal cheques supported by a cheque guarantee card; MasterCard, Visa and, at some ports and airports, Switch debit cards. If you’re unable to pay on the spot, customs keep your belongings until you pay the sum due, which must be paid within the period noted on the back of your receipt. Postage or freight charges must be paid if you want the goods sent on to you.

Your belongings may be imported up to six months before, but no more than one year after your arrival, after transferring your residence. They mustn’t be sold, lent, hired out, or otherwise disposed of in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU) within one year of their importation, without first obtaining customs authorisation.

If you’re shipping your personal belongings (which includes anything for your family’s personal use – such as clothing, cameras, television and stereo, furniture and other household goods) – unaccompanied to the UK, you must complete (and sign) customs form C3, obtainable from your shipping agent, HM Customs and Excise (see address below) or www.hmce.gov.uk , and attach a detailed packing list. If you employ an international removal company, they handle the customs clearance and associated paperwork for you. Any items originally obtained in the UK or within the EU can be brought into the UK free of customs and excise duty or VAT, provided:
Old Jun 15th 2015, 5:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

also, folks moving back to the UK are not daft enough to carry over €10,000 with them & not declare it?

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk