Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing back cars you own from UAE

Bringing back cars you own from UAE

Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:59 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing back cars you own from UAE

I work in the trade of import/export of vehicles but it's completely differenct on a personal import level regarding taxes/importation/registration.

I have a client who's brother is moving back to the UK from UAE with 2 high end cars. Both of which he has owned for at least a year to 18 months.

What happens when he imports them with him when he returns to the UK using the UK personal import scheme?

My assumption is as he has owned it for longer than six months he would not be liable for any import duty or vat?

And would the vehicles need a MOT or a SVA test to gain UK registration?

Any help from someone with personal experience of doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by zel; Jan 19th 2009 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing back cars you own from UAE

Originally Posted by zel
I work in the trade of import/export of vehicles but it's completely differenct on a personal import level regarding taxes/importation/registration.

I have a client who's brother is moving back to the UK from UAE with 2 high end cars. Both of which he has owned for at least a year to 18 months.

What happens when he imports them with him when he returns to the UK using the UK personal import scheme?

My assumption is as he has owned it for longer than six months he would not be liable for any import duty or vat?

And would the vehicles need a MOT or a SVA test to gain UK registration?

Any help from someone with personal experience of doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
He would also need to meet the requirement of the time abroad too.

When I did it a while back, the SVA was applicable if the model wasn't sold in the EU and it was less than three years old. Cars over 3 years old only needed to do the MOT. The SVA is a nightmare and unfortunately I have a recollection that the requirement for the SVA test was going to be extended, but I didn't bother keeping up with it as I swore never to go through it again.

Some things can be easily fixed for the SVA, but others are a lot more difficult/near on impossible.

When I went through it, I was advised don't do anything to the car, take the test, fail and then you'll know what to fix.

If you have been through the SVA you'll know that it can mean a lot of adjustments to the cars.

Good luck and make sure that it's actually worth the hassle.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:12 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave,

Firstly thanks for the reply.

The vehicles are a Range Rover and a Porsche 911 so both are originally sold in the UK/EU and both were new when purchased so at the most are 18 months old.

I'd appreciate clarification on the tax aspect he has lived in UAE for over 3 years I believe so would I be right in assuming no VAT/Import duty in the UK?

Since the vehicles are less than 3 years old it will need an SVA test then and that's no problem as we're very experienced with getting those through, my worry was it would need an ESVA test which vehicles need that are bought in from UAE if you are a trader and if you think a SVA is a nightmare an ESVA is a complete no-no for the vast majority of cases. :curse:

I recall the rules regarding personal import being SVA only but the rules change on a monthly basis in the UK regarding importation of motor vehicles.

Any further help/guidance would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by zel; Jan 19th 2009 at 9:14 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Hi Dave,

Firstly thanks for the reply.

The vehicles are a Range Rover and a Porsche 911 so both are originally sold in the UK/EU and both were new when purchased so at the most are 18 months old.

I'd appreciate clarification on the tax aspect he has lived in UAE for over 3 years I believe so would I be right in assuming no VAT/Import duty in the UK?

Since the vehicles are less than 3 years old it will need an SVA test then and that's no problem as we're very experienced with getting those through, my worry was it would need an ESVA test which vehicles need that are bought in from UAE if you are a trader and if you think a SVA is a nightmare an ESVA is a complete no-no for the vast majority of cases. :curse:

I recall the rules regarding personal import being SVA only but the rules change on a monthly basis in the UK regarding importation of motor vehicles.

Any further help/guidance would be very much appreciated.
Apologies Zel for not replying sooner. I've had some issues, that have meant me not being online for a while. Apologies again.

My information is from a fair while back so I would definitely check it. However, there were some rules that said that if you had the vehicle for over a year and been out of the country for a year, then no tax or duty would be due. This was because it was seen as a personal importation during a relocation. I think that there's a similar rule for other effects but that the ownership period used to be six months.

So applying the rules as I remember them, as he as owned the vehicle for over a year and been out of the country for over a year too, he should be okay not having to pay tax or duty.

Also if they are owned personally rather than through a company he should be okay for the SVA only too.

One thing to note is that there used to be/is a stipulation that the vehicle cannot be sold in the first year after import, without paying additional tax.

The other thing is if the Range rover could be classed as a lights goods vehicle. I once saw the testing done on a sports truck that had been classed this way and the test was what appeared to be a cursory look.

Again I would definitely check this out but those are the rules as I remember them.

Good luck and please let me know if you find anything out. It might come in mightly handy for me in the future, though I did promise never to go through the SVA again.