Reload this Page >

Bringing 2 cats to UK from Canada

Bringing 2 cats to UK from Canada

Old Feb 29th 2020, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

VickyUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing 2 cats to UK from Canada

Originally Posted by angie_329 View Post
I have read on the forum that people have used Air Transat for their pets. if you do a search on this site or a search engine you will find the posts.
I have put some other info here you might find useful from my own experience with cats travelling.

For shipping cats, UK border inspection posts accepts these carriers.

Often called petmate sky/ vari kennel.

I have brought cats in them myself and these are shown on the HARC video.

If you quote the size and weight to shipper you get a more accurate freight fee.

If you buy carrier in USA/ Canada ensure that the version is the one with air holes on the back panel There are some made in USA for domestic flights that do not require air holes on back panel, which is solid. This is not acceptable at UK border inspection posts ( Heathrow Gatwick Manchester) and you or airline would be fined.

As the other posters have said, correct paperwork is very important.

Fit to fly certificate needs to be done no more than 5 days before travel.

First ensure the cats are microchipped with an ISO standard chip BEFORE the rabies Vaccine. This can be done on one vet visit but Microchip in first.

In US Canada they often use different microchips. In which case you have to strap the reader onto the carriers so it can be used on arrival .

You can scan and pre email the airway bill ( 3 days before) and pet passport/ fit to fly certificate, etc to the arrival point in the UK and freight company can and check if it's been pre cleared. This can be done for journeys from Europe so may be possible from Canada. This picks up any errors prior to arrival so you have a chance for vet to amend data.

If you have to pay in the UK to the handling company you just take a copy of your air waybill to their offices at the airport, pay and then they give you clearance documents to pick up your cats at the animal reception centre. From Europe it's not more than £200 for two cats as one shipment. I would think its similar from Canada as its just the fee for unloading the cats.

Travelling in Cargo (a separate section is used) is a lot less stressful for animals as it's quiet, air pressure and temperature controlled. The crates are secured by straps. Put a dog nappy inside the crate in case of peeing and do last feed of cat 10 hours before departure, advice from vet.

However I believe air canada are trialling pets in cabin. You will probably need a softer carrier that fits under the seat in front. So not great for the animal and they will probably meow as they know you are there to let them out!

Cats seem to recover very quickly from air journeys. You can get Feliway plug in for your new home to help them settle in.
That's very useful, thank you.

Just to clarify a few things:

1. I was under the assumption the fit to fly certificate had to be issued within 10 days of travel, not 5. Has this changed?
2. Can you provide any more info about Air Canada allowing pets in cabin to the UK?

I am flying air transat but it's their recommended freight company that's making me a little nervous hence me asking for other recommendations.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ilovedymchurch View Post
I did all the vet appts myself, which were no more expensive than l would normally pay for their annual vaccinations and just got Embark to fill out the forms, which l took to my vet to get signed. If you can go to CFIA yourself to get the docs stamped it's $20 and customs charges for my 2 dogs were £45. I booked my own flights and Embark charged @$400 to do a bit of paperwork and take my pups to the airport, which was worth it due to the size of their crates.
My advice is to do as much leg work as you can. You don't need overnight boarding and someone else to do the Vet checks and health certificates - use your own vet. You do need someone to check that you docs are in order to avoid problems - money well spent. Good luck.
This is really interesting. I am doing vets appointments and CFIA myself. Didn't know I could do customs myself? Can you elaborate further?

Company is charging me over 400 pounds to do this (freight charges separate and at least another $1k CAD).
Old Feb 29th 2020, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brokenhearted. View Post
You have my sympathy and empathy on this! I brought my min pin from Alaska to UK and it was extremely stressful.... I ended up doing it myself but had a last minute panic when i spotted the Vet had failed to sign one of the many declarations required. Spotted it at 6pm the Saturday before i started my journey on the Sunday - Vet ended coming into her premises late Saturday evening. I followed all the guidelines about using specific certified Vets.

The paperwork is important especially when you get to HARC (Heathrow Anial Reception Centre). When i was there I saw a lady being refused her cat because her Vet had used an in house code for the rabies vaccination- luckily I was required to have the State Vet look at the paperwork the Vet had completed and he picked up that they needed to make sure the vaccine compound name was on it as well as ensiruing the chip number and vaccine information . I am presuming your agent will do all this and if i had to do it again I think I would and should have passed it on to a shipping agent! As for crate sizes - HARC do some youtubes specifically addressing that issue

I was able to fly her on the same flight as myself via Virgin - but i think my return ticket was cheaper than my dog's! Wishing you all the best - ad despite it all I am glad I brought her with me!
Scenarios like the one you describe are what worries me...at the moment the company I am paying to sort out customs have said they will check over paperwork once it's complete. I will triple check the vaccine compound name is on the rabies certificates now!

Many thanks.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

I found a thread from 2015 that might be useful. A number of posters have used Air Transat for pets so the freight company should be fine.

I have to pay cash in EU to freight company. Maybe their systems are not set otherwise. If you can provide them with weight and volume the quote will be more precise. you could contact the UK end of tthe freight company in Gatwick and get landing fees. ( again date flight AWB ./ or dimensions may be needed).They may want data in lbs or kilos, Cat carrier I mentioned is 2.9KG. Most cats 5KG so book 8 or 9 KG x 2 (will not make much difference to price as its overall volume and anything under 25KG I was told. Carrier dimensions are on the doggiesolutions website maybe in cm ( or inches) .
https://britishexpats.com/forum/movi...ada-uk-862843/
re number of days, my vet is EU says no more than 5 but email HARC or Gatwick reception centre.-
Air canada - in cabin trial. I read it but cant find it now, will keep looking.

Animal Reception Centre,

Cargo Forecourt Road, Gatwick Airport, West Sussex, RH6 9SQ ( [email protected])

0208 759 7002
Opening Hours: All other times on officer standby 24 hrs/ 7 days per week
www.animalaircare.co.uk

Old Mar 1st 2020, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

I found a thread from 2015 that might be useful. A number of posters have used Air Transat for pets so the freight company should be fine.

I have to pay cash in EU to freight company. Maybe their systems are not set otherwise. If you can provide them with weight and volume the quote will be more precise. you could contact the UK end of tthe freight company in Gatwick and get landing fees. ( again date flight AWB ./ or dimensions may be needed).They may want data in lbs or kilos, Cat carrier I mentioned is 2.9KG. Most cats 5KG so book 8 or 9 KG x 2 (will not make much difference to price as its overall volume and anything under 25KG I was told. Carrier dimensions are on the doggiesolutions website maybe in cm ( or inches) .
https://britishexpats.com/forum/movi...ada-uk-862843/
re number of days, my vet is EU says no more than 5 but email HARC or Gatwick reception centre.-
Air canada - in cabin trial. I read it but cant find it now, will keep looking.

Animal Reception Centre,

Cargo Forecourt Road, Gatwick Airport, West Sussex, RH6 9SQ ( [email protected])

0208 759 7002
Opening Hours: All other times on officer standby 24 hrs/ 7 days per week
www.animalaircare.co.uk

Last edited by angie_329; Mar 1st 2020 at 9:54 am. Reason: double post
Old Mar 1st 2020, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VickyUK View Post
That's very useful, thank you.

Just to clarify a few things:

1. I was under the assumption the fit to fly certificate had to be issued within 10 days of travel, not 5. Has this changed?
2. Can you provide any more info about Air Canada allowing pets in cabin to the UK?

I am flying air transat but it's their recommended freight company that's making me a little nervous hence me asking for other recommendations.

re your concern re AT's recommended freight company- are you sure you can choose another one? Usually airlines have a nominated one.

The other poster suggested Embark - but cant recall if she mentionted airline she was with

Why not visit the offices of the freight company and check it out or pay there? that will set your mind at rest.

Last edited by angie_329; Mar 1st 2020 at 9:38 am. Reason: error
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I found this re Air Canada. It seems although they now allow pets to fly OUT of UK in Cabin , which they did not before, they are still not allowed on incoming to UK.

https://www.pettravel.com/airline_pe.../aircanada.cfm

Air Canada will not transport pets in the cabin to the following destinations: Australia, Barbados, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom. Air Canada will fly pets out of the UK and Hawaii in the cabin.

re the Fit to fly certificate - I have found a reference saying up to 10 days before.

I think the 5 days my EU vet says, is to do with the local airline requirements, I ll check this.

https://www.pbspettravel.co.uk/pet-passport-scheme/

However, if your pet is flying, you will need to visit your vet for a ‘fit to fly’ letter (sometimes known as a General Health Certificate) no more than 10 days prior to travel. It must be dated and on the veterinary surgery’s headed paper.

For non-EU countries, you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Just to update - I was able to get both cats to the UK but it was expensive and stressful.

I used company recommended by Air Transat for freight and another UK based company to get them through customs. Former was 1k CDN latter was almost 500 GBP.

I had to ensure that both cats rabies vaccinations were up to date, microchips were ISO compliant and the required paperwork was filled out correctly. The paperwork was a killer and my vet filled it out incorrectly 10 times - including 7 times the day I was due to fly which was insanely stressful.

Area cats had to be dropped off at, at airport was very loud and poor cats were stressed. At the other end it took almost 4 hours for them to get through customs. Between freight, customs and fees for vet appointments and vaccinations it probably cost me close to 2k GBP to bring them over.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VickyUK View Post
Just to update - I was able to get both cats to the UK but it was expensive and stressful.

I used company recommended by Air Transat for freight and another UK based company to get them through customs. Former was 1k CDN latter was almost 500 GBP.

I had to ensure that both cats rabies vaccinations were up to date, microchips were ISO compliant and the required paperwork was filled out correctly. The paperwork was a killer and my vet filled it out incorrectly 10 times - including 7 times the day I was due to fly which was insanely stressful.

Area cats had to be dropped off at, at airport was very loud and poor cats were stressed. At the other end it took almost 4 hours for them to get through customs. Between freight, customs and fees for vet appointments and vaccinations it probably cost me close to 2k GBP to bring them over.
I am glad you all made it! The vet paperwork souunds dreadful... its not unusual , they dont all know what they are supposed to be doing. I have had to check passports and paper work myself to avoid last minute erros.

I do hope you all settle qickly and put the stressful journey behind you. . I am sure your cats are very pleased that they will be with you in your new home.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Gloriajean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ilovedymchurch View Post
Where I your travelling from? I just brought 2 dogs back to the UK and would be happy to share any info.
I’d love some advice I’m hoping to take my two little dogs from Canada to UK. In September please
Old Jun 15th 2020, 6:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gloriajean View Post
I’d love some advice I’m hoping to take my two little dogs from Canada to UK. In September please
Hi, welcome to BE.

Ilovedymchurch posted another couple of times sharing his/her experience, did you see those posts? You’ll find loads of useful threads if you do a search - post 6 on this thread is particularly pertinent as I see from your other thread you want your pets in the cabin, which it seems isn’t possible.

I’m not sure whereabouts in Canada you are but look in to the QMII as well if you don’t want your pets flying as cargo. May not be possible for Sept as the kennels book up so far in advance (that’s if they’re even sailing again by then), but something to look at maybe?

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 15th 2020 at 6:52 am.