Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Brighton/Eastbourne - nice areas?

Brighton/Eastbourne - nice areas?

Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:12 am
Just Joined

jaybee2711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Brighton/Eastbourne - nice areas?

We are thinking of leaving Vancouver and going to live somewhere along the south coast of England, as would like to be near to the sea and still have good access into either Gatwick or Heathrow. We are going over soon to have a look around and would appreciate any comments as to areas perhaps worth checking out while we are there. Thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brighton/Eastbourne - nice areas?

Originally Posted by jaybee2711
We are thinking of leaving Vancouver and going to live somewhere along the south coast of England, as would like to be near to the sea and still have good access into either Gatwick or Heathrow. We are going over soon to have a look around and would appreciate any comments as to areas perhaps worth checking out while we are there. Thanks.
Brighton is very nice but the prices are not so much lower than London. It would be high up in my choice of places if I did return to live and had any money left.
Hove just up the road or a short walk along the beach is more reserved but would be a great place to live as well.
Brighton is rather diverse in population in being open and tolerant.
Afraid never been to Eastbourne but it is far lower key than Brighton but then a cheaper housing market as well.
Check out Worthing as well. Lived there as a youngster and pretty nice to be there as a kid as far as things to do..but was 12-13 and only had a year plus there.
But close enough to Brighton and a little more on offer than perhaps Eastbourne?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I thought Brighton might be a better choice. As far as prices go, from what we have seen on Zoopla, it's a good time to go back as seems more affordable than Vancouver right now. Will definitely check out Hove and Worthing as you suggested!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

In weather terms statistics constantly show Eastbourne to be the sunniest spot in the entire UK.....in almost every year Eastbourne enjoys more hours of bright sunshine annually..sometimes exceeding 2,000 hours of sunshine, which works out at an average of 5.5 hours per day. The "Daily Telegraph" today 06/09/11 has printed an article indicating the sunniest street in the UK is Burton Road, in Eastbourne where a weather station recorded 1,934.5 hours of bright sunshine in 2010.

The next sunniest street in the UK was Upper Hill Park in Tenby, Pembrokeshire. Followed by, in descending order of sunny hours:

Polmear Park, Par, Cornwall
Golden Crescent, Everton, Hampshire
Maudlin Drive, Teignmouth, Devon

Eastbourne also has the distinction of having more people of retirement age among its population than anywhere else in the UK, as well had having the most elegant of seafronts, its closest rival in that respect being Llandudno, on the North Wales coast.

Just west of the town of Eastbourne is one of the most immediately recognisable features on the entire British coastline - the chalk white Beachy Head. Sadly it holds the tragic record of being a "favoured" spot for suicides or potential suicides, followed by the Clifton suspension bridge over the river Avon at Bristol.

EASTBOURNE East Sussex

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored...e-getaway.html

BRIGHTON East Sussex

Depending on what floats your boat Brighton is much more of a fun place to be than Eastbourne in that it is considerably more diverse in the sense that it is a base for so many alternative lifestyles. If you happen to be gay then Brighton is the perfect place in which to live - you'd be over the moon in Brighton Kemptown (sometimes dubbed "Camptown"). If you are in anyway homophobic, or of a narrow mindset of any kind, then I would suggest you go elsewhere - Brighton is not for you.

The Parliamentary constituency of Brighton Pavilion is held by the UK's only Green Party Member of Parliament - the bright and breezy Caroline Lucas MP -not only a cool looker but highly intelligent and articulate as well.

Brighton Pride 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3rOCMphRE
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:41 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an observation:

Went to Brighton last Saturday and the traffic/parking was an absolute nightmare. And we live in Greater London, so it's not like we don't know about traffic/parking problems.

The last time we had been in Brighton was 8 years ago and there was definitely not the amount of TRAFFIC and PEOPLE that we experienced on Saturday. It truly was chaotic.

The traffic queue in and out of town was miles long, and it took us one hour to find parking. We almost turned around and came back home.

Once we finally found parking (in a dumpy NCP garage) we had a lovely walk down the pier; afternoon tea at the Mock Turtle Tea Shop; and did some window shopping in The Lanes - but we promised ourselves that the next time we visit (and we will, because we want to revisit the Pavilion) we will either try during the week, or use the Park-and-Ride shuttle from the station.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Brighton a few months ago visiting my brother. I love the vibe there...it's very studenty and has bit of a continental feel due to many Europeans working in the cages and bars. Also, without fail I'll leave London and its raining, crappy weather but the sun always seems to be shining in Brighton! Not sure why that would be. It can be a bit crazy at times though with some interesting antics going on so it's not for someone very conservative. Hove is nice and quiet and the walking on the downs is gorgeous. I always feel young in Brighton!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My parents live in Eastbourne and I think it's got more trendy over the years, yes there are a lot of retired people there but it has a reasonable vibe and is way, way cheaper than Brighton but close enough to visit easily. I agree that parking in Brighton is difficult.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all for the replies. Certainly, the weather would seem to be ideal. My biggest problem with this move will be the availability of parking, simply put, downtown Brighton and even Eastbourne are going to be next to impossible to park, unless it is in a new block with integrated parking for residents. Living now in Vancouver as I do, we have a very large gay community, with which we have absolutely no problem, they tolerate me and I reciprocate the sentiment. Thanks again.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

For years now, they have been talking about a rejuvenation of Hastings /Bexhill -on-sea.

We thought about moving there about 9 years ago ,it *might* be worth looking in to what things are like these days.

It does have a nice vibe , much cheaper housing and is on the coast.

Train links were also meant to be improving ...

Can't take responsibility if it is still a bit of a mess though lol

Good Luck!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
For years now, they have been talking about a rejuvenation of Hastings /Bexhill -on-sea.

We thought about moving there about 9 years ago ,it *might* be worth looking in to what things are like these days.

It does have a nice vibe , much cheaper housing and is on the coast.

Train links were also meant to be improving ...

Can't take responsibility if it is still a bit of a mess though lol

Good Luck!
Hastings does seem somewhat rejuvenated - it really has some nice buildings if they were to be done up properly. I think you're right about the trains, they are certainly much better out of Eastbourne these days.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hastings does seem somewhat rejuvenated - it really has some nice buildings if they were to be done up properly. I think you're right about the trains, they are certainly much better out of Eastbourne these days.
Thats good news ...as it is very easy link to Gatwick from Hastings (if I remember correctly?)
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Thats good news ...as it is very easy link to Gatwick from Hastings (if I remember correctly?)
The bit I don't like is working out which half of the train you have to be on...especially when they say 'the first 6 carriages' which could mean either end...but I'm sure you get to know the right way when you live there.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Eastbourne is getting quite a modern vibe these but is still full of oldies. Don't rule out Lewes. It's not by the sea but very close and has a lovely atmosphere. You can get some amazing properties in St Leonards but it is hard to get to Gatwick/Heathrow in less than an hour.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:17 am
Just Joined

We have St. Leonards on our list as well. Saw a property program on TV recently that showed places in Deal, Kent, although not really familiar with that part of the coast either. Anyway, we are going to the UK on Friday so hopefully we’ll be able to explore the area, weather permitting! We appreciate all your input, thanks again
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My parents live in Eastbourne and I think it's got more trendy over the years, yes there are a lot of retired people there but it has a reasonable vibe and is way, way cheaper than Brighton but close enough to visit easily. I agree that parking in Brighton is difficult.
I wonder why it is that Eastbourne has above average stats for violence and yet below average for breakins?

Surely not the older folk whacking one another?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.