BREXIT

Old May 27th 2019, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

phoenix3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BREXIT

Hi, I know none of us have a crystal ball, but...I would appreciate all thoughts / weigh ins.
We are in the process of moving back and are house hunting.
I am concerned that a hard Brexit will crash house prices and the economy, but that this will take be a gradual process after October.
Would you rent in the interim (Between July and October) or plunge in and purchase the house (cash)
All thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot

Old May 27th 2019, 11:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BREXIT

House prices have already been suppressed for the last three years by the uncertainty. If we do actually leave on 31 October - deal or no deal - then expect them to start to rise again, all things being equal. If you want to move back then buy now.
Old May 27th 2019, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving from the USA then the current extremely favorable exchange rates are a big plus. We bought a house in 2017 and the low exchange rate meant that we saved $100k if we had bought in 2015.

House prices may or may not go down after leaving the EU but if the UK stays in the exchange rate may well strengthen meaning a lot fewer £s to the $.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Durham lad
thank you very much for the feedback.
Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If you are moving from the USA then the current extremely favorable exchange rates are a big plus. We bought a house in 2017 and the low exchange rate meant that we saved $100k if we had bought in 2015.

House prices may or may not go down after leaving the EU but if the UK stays in the exchange rate may well strengthen meaning a lot fewer £s to the $.
Old May 27th 2019, 5:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... if the UK stays in the exchange rate may well strengthen meaning a lot fewer £s to the $.
The pound is likely to strengthen either way, stay or leave, it is uncertainty that has pushed the pound downwards.
Old May 27th 2019, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The pound is likely to strengthen either way, stay or leave, it is uncertainty that has pushed the pound downwards.
Exactly. I have transferred lots of money from US to UK this year and we still have lots of months on uncertainty ahead of us.
Old May 28th 2019, 6:51 am
Just Joined

dragonfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly. I have transferred lots of money from US to UK this year and we still have lots of months on uncertainty ahead of us.
Do we have to pay the tax on the money transferred from oversea?
Old May 28th 2019, 7:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dragonfruit
Do we have to pay the tax on the money transferred from oversea?
No.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:15 am
Just Joined

I am very confused with the tax. I've been searching on the government site and it says we have to pay the tax on the money which brought from oversea if you are resident in the UK.
some people say I do not need...
Old May 28th 2019, 8:06 am

I am very confused with the tax. I've been searching on the government site and it says we have to pay the tax on the money which brought from oversea if you are resident in the UK.
some people say I do not need...
Income, yes. Transfer of savings, no.
Old May 28th 2019, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Income? savings? so working abroad and transferring of the saving is no problem?
Old May 28th 2019, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Income? savings? so working abroad and transferring of the saving is no problem?
Correct.

I live in the UK and receive a US pension plus interest from savings. I pay UK income tax on the interest and pension. My US pension and interest are paid into my US savings accounts. When I transfer money from my savings to the UK there is no tax due at all.
Old May 28th 2019, 10:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
+1

I am not sure what arcane tax information Dragonfruit has been reading, because generally if you are "ordinarily resident" in the UK you pay tax on your worldwide income irrespective of whether you remit it to the UK or not, but there is something known as, IIRC, the "remittance basis", which means you pay tax on income remitted to the UK, but that only applies in a very narrow set of circumstances, i.e. you are "resident but not ordinarily resident" in the UK.

In any case remitting money you earned, paid tax on, and saved while you were overseas, is not taxed (again) when you send it to the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 28th 2019 at 10:13 am.