Bradford, UK?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

derek10rr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bradford, UK?

Hello,

My Wife is an EU passport holder, and we are moving to the UK in the next 1-2 years.

I was interested in getting a MSC in Finance, and was interested in a few programs from the University of Bradford.

Can anyone tell me anything about this city?

All I have found in my searches is that it is fairly affordable, and has many ethnic backgrounds.

Is it a safe place? How is the area for Finance related work?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:02 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bradford, UK?

Originally Posted by derek10rr3
Hello,

My Wife is an EU passport holder, and we are moving to the UK in the next 1-2 years.

I was interested in getting a MSC in Finance, and was interested in a few programs from the University of Bradford.

All I have found in my searches is that it is fairly affordable, and has many ethnic backgrounds.

Thanks!
Try googling for Bradford newspapers - Judge for yourself if you think it is "safe" - each persons experience is influenced by formerly living there/visited. It might make more sense to find a forum in the UK and ask there. www.uk-yankee.com might be helpful too.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt be my pick of places to live although if you go just outside the city it isnt half bad. LOL The last 3 times I have tried to drive through it the Tom Tom gives me utterly contradictory directions which have seen me go round and round - not the place I really want to go round and round in!!!! I am sure there are some nice parts though.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:39 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks!
Personally not a favourite. I find it quite a soul-less place but it might just be one of those places that you really have to know to get (I defer to the more knowledgeable on this).

I
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:48 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know Bradford, but I bet there are lots of better university cities. OTOH, if it has exactly the courses you want, you'll make it work for you.

Bev
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was in the film "East is East" where the sign 'Welcome to Bradford' had been changed to read 'Welcome to Bradistan'.

Bradford not only has huge ethnic areas but it also has a well known red light district around Manningham and Lumb Lane - unless it has been 'cleaned up' in recent years.

Although Bradford has some redeeming qualities like the Film and Photography Museum and The Alahambra Theatre, I wouldn't live there.

I'd prefer to live in Shelf, Norwood Green, Bailiff Bridge or Brighouse - all within easy travelling distance - but probably all more expensive these days with regards to house prices.

According to my Uncle who does still live in Bailiff Bridge - Bradford is the best place to go for a curry.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:30 am
fidge

fidge is on a distinguished road

hi bradford is the best place for curry cant get 1 here cant wait till im back in yorkshire for a good curry!!!! (perth how can asians not make a curry here)
bradford is very colourfull place yes east is east was filmed there and manchester i ersonally wouldnt live tyhere but the suburbs out side like shipley baildon and if you can afford ilkley then there, bradford is safe red light area has all been cleaned uop i think they did a tv documentry on it
we are thinking of also going back and moving possible to baildon ilkley area
in the next 12 /18 months
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks!
I've lived in many places in the UK (Wirral, West Mildlands, Greater Manchester, W.Yorkshire (Bradford), W. Sussex and Cheshire) and Bradford was my favourite place by far, BUT I was a student at the time, so I think the atmosphere and friendships (and curries!) were a large part of that.

I loved the size of the city (much more compact than Manchester, where I'd spent most time before going to uni), I loved the surroundings (the amazing countryside and villages), I loved the night-life (probably not so relevant for you, and likely to have changed considerably since the early 1990s), but most of all, Bradford University was a fantastic place to study. I'm not sure how much that might have changed? I know there were a lot fewer staff in our department (Elec.Eng) when I went back for a visit in 2001, and the SU was attracting a much less impressive line-up of bands...LOL!

Safe? Ermmm, no, not particularly... Bradford has a lot of poverty and more than its share of racial tension. Now that I have a family I certainly wouldn't choose to live in the city of Bradford, but somewhere quaint nearby, like Hebden Bridge, about 35 mins drive away (http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/) - absolutely!

Last edited by AlexInBC; Jul 11th 2009 at 5:47 am.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I've lived in many places in the UK (Wirral, West Mildlands, Greater Manchester, W.Yorkshire (Bradford), W. Sussex and Cheshire) and Bradford was my favourite place by far, BUT I was a student at the time, so I think the atmosphere and friendships (and curries!) were a large part of that.

I loved the size of the city (much more compact than Manchester, where I'd spent most time before going to uni), I loved the surroundings (the amazing countryside and villages), I loved the night-life (probably not so relevant for you, and likely to have changed considerably since the early 1990s), but most of all, Bradford University was a fantastic place to study. I'm not sure how much that might have changed? I know there were a lot fewer staff in our department (Elec.Eng) when I went back for a visit in 2001, and the SU was attracting a much less impressive line-up of bands...LOL!

Safe? Ermmm, no, not particularly... Bradford has a lot of poverty and more than its share of racial tension. Now that I have a family I certainly wouldn't choose to live in the city of Bradford, but somewhere quaint nearby, like Hebden Bridge, about 35 mins drive away (http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/) - absolutely!
I once went on a school trip to Hebden Bridge for a week of sport and orienteering etc.

I found out last Christmas that it is now lesbian central and has the highest number of lesbians per head in the UK .......... not that I give a damn of course but I just thought you might like to know. It is a beautifully quaint place I agree and that school trip was fab.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Bradford has the most laid-back people in Britain. Don't go to Glasgow, as it has the glummest: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-stress-league

[That's if you believe that Twitter is a good source of research evidence, of course ]
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I was brought up in Bradford and yes it isn't such a good place right now. I actually mean the city centre, it is dire.
I live near Halifax now which is great..the outskirts of Bradford are lovely too. Just avoid living near the city centre.
Leeds is right next door and the shops there make up for the crap you get in Bradford centre lol.
But the currys are to die for in Bradford..OMG they are fab
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC Bradford Uni does have some well-respected Masters courses.

As others have said - you can live in some fantastic rural areas and commute to Bradford, but the city centre itself is a bit lawless.

Oh Nu-Shooz, send decent curry...fast...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

There are many nice surrounding towns which are commutable to Bradford. As for living in Bradford itself, it's quite a run down city with a lot of racial tension. I've heard good things about the University, but it's not a place many people would choose to live in. As others have said, look at baildon, ilkley, bingley & surrounding villages.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fidge
hi bradford is the best place for curry cant get 1 here cant wait till im back in yorkshire for a good curry!!!! (perth how can asians not make a curry here)
bradford is very colourfull place yes east is east was filmed there and manchester i ersonally wouldnt live tyhere but the suburbs out side like shipley baildon and if you can afford ilkley then there, bradford is safe red light area has all been cleaned uop i think they did a tv documentry on it

Now living back in Huddersfield, near the curry capital of the world (Bradford), I can tell you the very best curry we have every had was in Anghiti on Scarborough Beach Road, Innaloo. We found it by chance through the Entertainment Book and after visiting it once we never went anywhere else. None of the curry's on our return here, have matched up to Anghiti. You must try it if you are still in Perth. The food was absolutely fabulous.

Kathryn
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fidge
We come from burley in wharfadale which is on the train line to bradford (bout 15 mins). Bradford is a run down dump of a city which has been said before lots of racial tension, high crime, poverty, city centre living - crap, even the great curry's they offer does not make up for it!! There are lots of nice areas around Bradford which have been mentioned - try those i really wouldn't go to Bradford. If you can go to uni in leeds - FAB city!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.