Bournemouth or Weymouth

Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

steviee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bournemouth or Weymouth

My parents are currently living abroad, but are in the process of moving back to the UK. They would love to move to the Doset area, but have never lived there previosly. Only visited for holidays in the past

My father loves Bournemouth (Westbourne, Canford Cliffs, Lower Parkstone, Branksome park etc) and my mother likes Weymouth. I'm sorry, I don't know the areas she likes..

They are both in their mid 60's, retired and would be looking for a nice apartment in the region of £280k.. He loves his golf, while she would like to be near the shopping.

As I live near London I'm not clued up on the area's mentioned, so was wondering what the opinions on each place

Thanks alot
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bournemouth or Weymouth

Bournemouth would be a better area in terms of shopping - plenty of big stores in Bournemouth/Poole and near to Southampton/Portsmouth for larger malls/shopping village type places.

Bournemouth would also be that bit nearer to you in/near London.

Not sure on prices - I would imagine that Weymouth would be a bit cheaper - check out rightmove or similar to see what's available.

Those areas you have mentioned in Bournemouth are lovely areas, I don't really know Weymouth, but I should imagine there are nice areas there too.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens I grew up in Weymouth, lovely place with beautiful scenery and a relaxed pace. Of course the shopping is much better in Bournemouth and you're generally better connected there. Housing should be cheaper in Weymouth although the Olympic coverage may be changing that. Bournemouth can get a bit lively at night or did when I was a teenager. There were lots of clubs then. Weymouth on the other hand has some lovely old fashioned pubs for a quiet pint.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:03 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I lived in Bournemouth for about 5 years. I can recommend Southbourne - lovely beaches and much less crowded than Bournemouth. There's some nice pubs and restaurants and they come without the stag/hen parties that litter Bournemouth town centre! Christchurch is also a nice area for the same reasons. If you wanted to go shopping you can drive to Bournemouth really easily. Also I would avoid Boscombe, Pokesdown and Springbourne. I lived in Boscombe and although some areas are OK there are plenty that aren't!

Not sure on Weymouth as I have only ever visited a couple of times.

Good luck with your search!
Old Dec 14th 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

steviee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. They seem to be leaning more towards Bournemouth.

Regarding Southbourne. Does it have a town centre like Westbourne has?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch View Post
Also I would avoid Boscombe, Pokesdown and Springbourne. I lived in Boscombe and although some areas are OK there are plenty that aren't!
+1
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:36 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviee View Post
Thanks for the replies. They seem to be leaning more towards Bournemouth.

Regarding Southbourne. Does it have a town centre like Westbourne has?
There is a town centre but not on the same scale as Bournemouth or Westbourne. The beaches are lovely in Southbourne and much less crowded. I would prefer to live there and then take a short car journey to Bournemouth or Poole to shop.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:17 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Westbourne for a couple of years back in the late 1990s. There used to be a good selection of local shops that you could walk to if living in the right part, plus you are smack bang in the middle of the bus routes for both Bournemouth and Poole town centers. I remember that on-street parking was like gold dust though so try to find somewhere that has off-street parking.

Some of the areas you mentioned fall under Poole rather than Bournemouth - might be worth checking other bits of Poole out too, although I think prices are considerably higher since I was there!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72 View Post
As it happens I grew up in Weymouth, lovely place with beautiful scenery and a relaxed pace. Of course the shopping is much better in Bournemouth and you're generally better connected there. Housing should be cheaper in Weymouth although the Olympic coverage may be changing that. Bournemouth can get a bit lively at night or did when I was a teenager. There were lots of clubs then. Weymouth on the other hand has some lovely old fashioned pubs for a quiet pint.
Have been looking at Weymouth because of kid's possible attendance at Weymouth College - a real sailing enthusiast so the National Sailing Academy adds value. Us grown-ups seem to be well-covered as well with relatively decent rail connections to Bristol (First Great Western) and London (South West Trains) via Southampton and good access to the Jurassic Coast and Chesil Beach for walks with or without pub stops. A Sainsbury's superstore is apparently on the way in North Weymouth. Condor cross channel fast cat ferry service has moved back to Weymouth from Poole for this summer season.

Have checked out areas for possible renting and sense that Wyke Regis and Rodwell are particularly attractive as well as parts of Portland. Rents are reasonable and post-Olympics there seems to be a glut of property to look at because of apartment new-builds. Indeed both Weymouth and Portland seem to have a good range of pubs - am a real fan of the Red Lion in Hope Square. Also plenty of decent fish & chip shops what with Weymouth a major offshore angling centre - but not sure there is an actual correlation as there is apparently no deep fried wild sea-bass on offer .

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 17th 2013 at 7:59 pm. Reason: parts of Portland
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Have been looking at Weymouth because of kid's possible attendance at Weymouth College - a real sailing enthusiast so the National Sailing Academy adds value. Us grown-ups seem to be well-covered as well with relatively decent rail connections to Bristol (First Great Western) and London (South West Trains) via Southampton and good access to the Jurassic Coast and Chesil Beach for walks with or without pub stops. A Sainsbury's superstore is apparently on the way in North Weymouth. Condor cross channel fast cat ferry service has moved back to Weymouth from Poole for this summer season.

Have checked out areas for possible renting and sense that Wyke Regis and Rodwell are particularly attractive as well as parts of Portland. Rents are reasonable and post-Olympics there seems to be a glut of property to look at because of apartment new-builds. Indeed both Weymouth and Portland seem to have a good range of pubs - am a real fan of the Red Lion in Hope Square.

Also plenty of decent fish & chip shops what with Weymouth a major offshore
angling centre - but not sure there is an actual correlation as there is
apparently no deep fried wild sea-bass on offer .
I am also a huge fan of the Red Lion and and spent many an hour of my misspent youth in there! I also grew up in a part of Rodwell that overlooked Portland Harbor and a gorgeous beach. I went to Weymouth College and really enjoyed that also. The entire area is wholesome, family friendly and absolutely beautiful. My friends that still live there say that Budmouth School is excellent. Weymouth can get very quiet in the winter and so it's good to get teens involved in activities other wise there can be a tendency to gather on the seafront and drink cider. Not that I would have any experience of that of course. It would be my first choice for a return if we could swing
jobs.
My parents lived on Portland for a few years. That is a beautiful and windswept place. Parts of Doctor Who were filmed there years and years ago.
The one thing I would say about Portland is that it's a bit clannish, with many
generations of island families. That could have changed over the years but it
did have that feel of everyone knowing you were an outsider if you weren't
From there.
born there.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am also a huge fan of the Red Lion and and spent many an hour of my misspent youth in there! I also grew up in a part of Rodwell that overlooked Portland Harbor and a gorgeous beach. I went to Weymouth College and really enjoyed that also. The entire area is wholesome, family friendly and absolutely beautiful. My friends that still live there say that Budmouth School is excellent. Weymouth can get very quiet in the winter and so it's good to get teens involved in activities other wise there can be a tendency to gather on the seafront and drink cider. Not that I would have any experience of that of course. It would be my first choice for a return if we could swing
jobs.
My parents lived on Portland for a few years. That is a beautiful and windswept place. Parts of Doctor Who were filmed there years and years ago.
From there.
born there.
I was thinking that one would more likely bump into prison warders when enjoying a pint, what with there being two of Her Majesty's establishments on the Bill. I will take on board your point though.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:33 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I currently live in Weymouth and it has lots to recommend it - beautiful coastline and scenery, mild climate, reasonable nightlife, safe with low crime (as long as you avoid a few areas). However, the shopping is very basic and it's a long trek to anywhere decent. If this is important to your mum then she should definitely go for Bournemouth. I do most of my shopping online.
Weymouth will probably give them more for their money though in terms of being able to have a decent apartment in a nice area .
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kapri View Post
I currently live in Weymouth and it has lots to recommend it - beautiful coastline and scenery, mild climate, reasonable nightlife, safe with low crime (as long as you avoid a few areas). However, the shopping is very basic and it's a long trek to anywhere decent. If this is important to your mum then she should definitely go for Bournemouth. I do most of my shopping online.
Weymouth will probably give them more for their money though in terms of being able to have a decent apartment in a nice area .
In your view, if you will, what are the nice residential areas and what are the not so nice, incl Upwey/Broadwey, Chickerell and Portland. Thanks!

Am also concerned about flooding, though the band seems to be slightly east of Commercial Road.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:51 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Have been looking at Weymouth because of kid's possible attendance at Weymouth college

Have checked out areas for possible renting and sense that Wyke Regis and Rodwell are particularly attractive as well as parts of Portland. Rents are reasonable and post-Olympics there seems to be a glut of property to look at because of apartment new-builds. Indeed both Weymouth and Portland seem to have a good range of pubs - am a real fan of the Red Lion in Hope Square. Also plenty of decent fish & chip shops what with Weymouth a major offshore angling centre - but not sure there is an actual correlation as there is apparently no deep fried wild sea-bass on offer .
jobs.
From there.
born there.
I am off to Australia but if we return to the UK it will be to Weymouth. It's great for kids and teens - lots to do and great schools. Wyke is ok but parts are to be avoided and the road through can get congested. I personally wouldn't live on Portland due to the social deprivation and antisocial behaviour, however I know people who live there and love it.
Preston, Sutton Poyntz and Upwey are good areas. Chickerell is a good family area. Avoid Littlemoor and the park district.
The climate is mild - a few light frosts a year but its rare to get heavy frost or snow.
There are plenty of good pubs and restaurants but the clubs are dire if that is your thing.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kapri View Post
I am off to Australia but if we return to the UK it will be to Weymouth. It's great for kids and teens - lots to do and great schools. Wyke is ok but parts are to be avoided and the road through can get congested. I personally wouldn't live on Portland due to the social deprivation and antisocial behaviour, however I know people who live there and love it.
Preston, Sutton Poyntz and Upwey are good areas. Chickerell is a good family area. Avoid Littlemoor and the park district.
The climate is mild - a few light frosts a year but its rare to get heavy frost or snow.
There are plenty of good pubs and restaurants but the clubs are dire if that is your thing.
Thanks! I guess that food shopping that is not covered in Weymouth at the farmer's market and fishmongers or vendors can be had online or from the market and shops in Dorchester. When I was last there there was, I think, an M&S Food which was very dire and seems to have closed. Not sure how long away the supposedly planning-approved Sainsbury's will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.