Bournemouth or Weymouth

Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:42 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bournemouth or Weymouth

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Thanks! I guess that food shopping that is not covered in Weymouth at the farmer's market and fishmongers or vendors can be had online or from the market and shops in Dorchester. When I was last there there was, I think, an M&S Food which was very dire and seems to have closed. Not sure how long away the supposedly planning-approved Sainsbury's will be.
Food shopping is fine. There's a Morrisons and a big Asda, as well as plenty of Tesco express shops. As you say, a Sainsbury's is due at some point.

There is a regular farmers market on Westham bridge on Sundays and plenty of local farms selling eggs, jams, fruit etc.
Fresh fish is obviously available and Crab House Cafe are famous for their seafood www.crabhousecafe.co.uk

It's clothes shopping that is poor. There is a small M&S, Debenhams and some other high street shops but the stock isn't great. I do most of my clothes shopping online or wait until I happen to be in a big city.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Food shopping is fine. There's a Morrisons and a big Asda, as well as plenty of Tesco express shops. As you say, a Sainsbury's is due at some point.

There is a regular farmers market on Westham bridge on Sundays and plenty of local farms selling eggs, jams, fruit etc.
Fresh fish is obviously available and Crab House Cafe are famous for their seafood www.crabhousecafe.co.uk

It's clothes shopping that is poor. There is a small M&S, Debenhams and some other high street shops but the stock isn't great. I do most of my clothes shopping online or wait until I happen to be in a big city.
Lovely! Thanks! Haven't tried the Crab House Cafe yet but am pleased that the area is well covered for quality seafood.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...sh-restaurants
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am off to Australia but if we return to the UK it will be to Weymouth. It's great for kids and teens - lots to do and great schools. Wyke is ok but parts are to be avoided and the road through can get congested. I personally wouldn't live on Portland due to the social deprivation and antisocial behaviour, however I know people who live there and love it.
Preston, Sutton Poyntz and Upwey are good areas. Chickerell is a good family area. Avoid Littlemoor and the park district.
The climate is mild - a few light frosts a year but its rare to get heavy frost or snow.
There are plenty of good pubs and restaurants but the clubs are dire if that is your thing.
I've been drilling down on the Environment Agency flood and severe flood alerts in the Weymouth and South Dorset area looking at the parts that seem to be most impacted.

These include parts of Upwey and around Littlemead, the Wey itself, Preston/Lodmoor, Wareham and the River Frome and at Charminster and up towards Maiden Newton.

All of these areas were originally on our search list in some fashion as they provide decent access to Weymouth College and for our needs as parents but also retired ones. That is not to say that they still aren't but the main housing roads are often aligned with the rivers, limiting other choices.

This seems to leave the area around Old Castle Road in Rodwell, the good?? parts of Wyke Regis which I'm not sure about (Westhill Road, Marlborough Ave, new estates by SW Coast Path??), Dorchester and Poundbury and higher ground above Charminster. Plus the Old Brewery area south of the Weymouth marina (Newberry, Barrack). Need input I think.

Seems yobs like to hang out and at the very least harass minorities along the north element of the Rodwell Trail around Knightsdale Road. I wonder where and what else .

In passing, the course related to our son's interests is not quite the same at Budmouth, which is unfortunate as the college is well-rated at the sixth form level, but Weymouth College is rated (ofsted) outstanding in Sports at level 3 and has a more serious connection with the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 5th 2014 at 11:40 am.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:18 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviee
My parents are currently living abroad, but are in the process of moving back to the UK. They would love to move to the Doset area, but have never lived there previosly. Only visited for holidays in the past

My father loves Bournemouth (Westbourne, Canford Cliffs, Lower Parkstone, Branksome park etc) and my mother likes Weymouth. I'm sorry, I don't know the areas she likes..

They are both in their mid 60's, retired and would be looking for a nice apartment in the region of £280k.. He loves his golf, while she would like to be near the shopping.

As I live near London I'm not clued up on the area's mentioned, so was wondering what the opinions on each place

Thanks alot
Weymouth is a shit hole, and the poorest part of Dorset. Stay well away.
Live in Bournemouth or Poole.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:14 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Weymouth is a shit hole, and the poorest part of Dorset. Stay well away.
Live in Bournemouth or Poole.
What rubbish! Parts of Bournemouth are total holes too. Like anywhere, Weymouth has good and bad. However; there is very little crime, despite there being some low socio-economic suburbs.
I like parts of Bournemouth but Poole is ugly once you're away from the harbour.

All seaside towns tend to have some poor areas with drug use etc. But Weymouth comes up trumps in a lot of areas such as education (the secondary schools are ofsted outstanding), scenery (more houses have access to great views, unlike Poole and Bournemouth) and there are,of course, some great pubs.
Judging by your post, your use of language and lack of anything worthwhile to say, I'd worry about the standard of education in Bournemouth and Poole

Some people choose to live just outside of Weymouth, in West Dorset, which is far from a poor or deprived area! I lived in West Dorset and it's beautiful.

Last edited by Kapri; Jan 6th 2014 at 6:19 am.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:23 am
Happy migrant

I've been drilling down on the Environment Agency flood and severe flood alerts in the Weymouth and South Dorset area looking at the parts that seem to be most impacted.

These include parts of Upwey and around Littlemead, the Wey itself, Preston/Lodmoor, Wareham and the River Frome and at Charminster and up towards Maiden Newton.

All of these areas were originally on our search list in some fashion as they provide decent access to Weymouth College and for our needs as parents but also retired ones. That is not to say that they still aren't but the main housing roads are often aligned with the rivers, limiting other choices.

This seems to leave the area around Old Castle Road in Rodwell, the good?? parts of Wyke Regis which I'm not sure about (Westhill Road, Marlborough Ave, new estates by SW Coast Path??), Dorchester and Poundbury and higher ground above Charminster. Plus the Old Brewery area south of the Weymouth marina (Newberry, Barrack). Need input I think.

Seems yobs like to hang out and at the very least harass minorities along the north element of the Rodwell Trail around Knightsdale Road. I wonder where and what else .

In passing, the course related to our son's interests is not quite the same at Budmouth, which is unfortunate as the college is well-rated at the sixth form level, but Weymouth College is rated (ofsted) outstanding in Sports at level 3 and has a more serious connection with the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy.
There are plenty of parts that don't flood - live there!
Budmouth is an outstanding school and I would personally recommend it. Thomas Hardye in Dorchester is one of the top 6th forms in the country.

Yes, the area near knightsdale / abbots bury road is low socio economic. The big old Victorian B&B's are now bedsits, so avoid.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

You mention my old neighborhood, Old Castle Rd, can definitely recommend it as having gorgeous houses, amazing views and not a yob in sight. Although the area does border some large estates. Budmouth had a terrible reputation when I attended it back in the 80's but now it's really good apparent and my friends recommend it.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:49 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

What rubbish! Parts of Bournemouth are total holes too. Like anywhere, Weymouth has good and bad. However; there is very little crime, despite there being some low socio-economic suburbs.
I like parts of Bournemouth but Poole is ugly once you're away from the harbour.

All seaside towns tend to have some poor areas with drug use etc. But Weymouth comes up trumps in a lot of areas such as education (the secondary schools are ofsted outstanding), scenery (more houses have access to great views, unlike Poole and Bournemouth) and there are,of course, some great pubs.
Judging by your post, your use of language and lack of anything worthwhile to say, I'd worry about the standard of education in Bournemouth and Poole

Some people choose to live just outside of Weymouth, in West Dorset, which is far from a poor or deprived area! I lived in West Dorset and it's beautiful.
Weymouth is statistically the poorest part of Dorset. The schools, employment levels, opportunities and so forth are all less than Bmouth/Poole and as for crime, well funnily enough that's far higher too!

I agree with you re west Dorset being beautiful, there's no doubt about that. But Weymouth? No. Not a chance.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Weymouth is statistically the poorest part of Dorset. The schools, employment levels, opportunities and so forth are all less than Bmouth/Poole and as for crime, well funnily enough that's far higher too!

I agree with you re west Dorset being beautiful, there's no doubt about that. But Weymouth? No. Not a chance.
I have to disagree with you, Weymouth may be poorer but it's still a beautiful place. Have you ever strolled along the Harbour or gone for a walk in the Nothe Gardens? Portland also has a stark beauty. On a sunny day you feel like your on Crete. Last time I walked through the park and along the pier in Bournemouth, I noticed lots of druggy looking people. Generally I thought Bournemouth had gone to seed. It used to be on par with Brighton but not anymore.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I have to disagree with you, Weymouth may be poorer but it's still a beautiful place. Have you ever strolled along the Harbour or gone for a walk in the Nothe Gardens? Portland also has a stark beauty. On a sunny day you feel like your on Crete. Last time I walked through the park and along the pier in Bournemouth, I noticed lots of druggy looking people. Generally I thought Bournemouth had gone to seed. It used to be on par with Brighton but not anymore.
I agree with your sentiments re how Bournemouth has changed, for the worse. However, it's still not remotely approaching Weymouth in terms of overall poverty levels. Bournemouth, generally, is wealthy with the Poole and outside areas area being very well to do. You simply cannot say the same about Weymouth. This is reflected in the socio-economic make up of the people there, as well as school standards, crime levels, housing prices, and so forth.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:25 am
Happy migrant

I agree with your sentiments re how Bournemouth has changed, for the worse. However, it's still not remotely approaching Weymouth in terms of overall poverty levels. Bournemouth, generally, is wealthy with the Poole and outside areas area being very well to do. You simply cannot say the same about Weymouth. This is reflected in the socio-economic make up of the people there, as well as school standards, crime levels, housing prices, and so forth.
School standards?
Two out of the three secondary schools are rated ofsted outstanding. A reasonable proportion of Students from them go to Oxbridge and Medical school.
It just goes to show why nobody should listen to you.
You are speaking from your own prejudice rather than fact.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:42 am
Banned

School standards?
Two out of the three secondary schools are rated ofsted outstanding. A reasonable proportion of Students from them go to Oxbridge and Medical school.
It just goes to show why nobody should listen to you.
You are speaking from your own prejudice rather than fact.
You want your kids attending school with those from parents of Weymouth / Portland? Eurgh. No thanks. I'd stick to Canford or one of the top grammar schools in Poole.

You continue to send your kids to those type schools and live in scummy areas, fine by me. Just don't expect me to ever wish to do the same.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:24 am
Happy migrant

You want your kids attending school with those from parents of Weymouth / Portland? Eurgh. No thanks. I'd stick to Canford or one of the top grammar schools in Poole.

You continue to send your kids to those type schools and live in scummy areas, fine by me. Just don't expect me to ever wish to do the same.

Grammar school clearly didn't teach you much!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

There are plenty of parts that don't flood - live there!
Budmouth is an outstanding school and I would personally recommend it. Thomas Hardye in Dorchester is one of the top 6th forms in the country.

Yes, the area near knightsdale / abbots bury road is low socio economic. The big old Victorian B&B's are now bedsits, so avoid.
I've spent some time looking at the areas with the worst deprivation in the Weymouth / Portland area and beyond in light of concerns relating to localised crime levels and there is still plenty left that is above ground, such as Upwey/Radipole/Preston/East Wyke Regis/East Rodwell/south towards Portland Bill but not Fortuneswell.

Can't go with Thomas Hardye because of specific course needs but will keep Budmouth in the loop just in case, as revamped facility looks superb particularly sixth form, as do the results in general.

This is the enlarged map that I've been using:

https://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.j...9&filetype=pdf

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 8th 2014 at 10:44 am. Reason: This is the enlarged map that I've been using:
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I've spent some time looking at the areas with the worst deprivation in the Weymouth / Portland area and beyond in light of concerns relating to localised crime levels and there is still plenty left that is above ground, such as Upwey/Radipole/Preston/East Wyke Regis/East Rodwell/south towards Portland Bill but not Fortuneswell.

Can't go with Thomas Hardye because of specific course needs but will keep Budmouth in the loop just in case, as revamped facility looks superb particularly sixth form, as do the results in general.
What about Chickerell? That's a nice area and in the vicinity of Budmouth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.