Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

bought the St Johns Wort or whatever

bought the St Johns Wort or whatever

Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bought the St Johns Wort or whatever

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am not a mod on this forum.
Oh sorry! Abuse away!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:16 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Come on please this arguing amongst yourselves is not helping the OP.

dozy muppet03 I have directed my comments to you on more than one occasion. It appears you are not moving back to the UK, and the posts you have made in the MBTTUK forum are neither helpful nor supportive so please refrain from posting in this forum.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:04 am
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=dozy_muppet03;4910589]It's all emotional not physical and thus created...Husband having an affair on you, losing your house, debt up to the eyeballs, screaming kids, being in a country miles from your family, losing a family member....St johns wort is useless...sorry to break the news to you but you would be better to watch what you eat, and excercise more, think positively.

There are only physical side affects to depression such as headaches, muscle aches etc as few examples...BTW, I'm not stigmatising anyone...just providing advice that is more accurate that simply running down to Holland & Barrett and speaking to a cashier about depression, who then recommends ST John's Wort, Perlleeaasse, is that what you do...

As someone who has been working in mental health for almost two years and about to sit an exam in psychotherapy, I have to say that I disagree with these comments. There are specific parts in your brain (The Limbic System) which include the amygdala, hippocampus and hypothalamus which deal exclusively with sensory messages relayed back through through the central nervous system - they deal with maintaining homeostasis. Yes, situations can lead individuals into depression,however, it has to be said that the majority of people do not have the luxury of controlling their lives as to whether they will be financially secure, have safe and loving relationships or loose someone close to them in grief/loss. That said although we are all predisposed to fear and anxiety through our genes, and it is the autonomic nervous system (fright and flight hormone) which normally controlls this. The body does have the ability to aquire fear and anxieties which are not held in our genes. If the individual does not seek help the untreated fear and anxieties often lead to depression. Yes, anxieties do bring about certain physical symptoms such as rapid heart rate (sympathetic nervous system), increased tension in muscles, sweating, dry mouth etc, however the parasympathetic nervous system should regulate this by returning the body to the normal regular state. For some people this does not happen and anxieties cause the symptoms to carry on each time, and in order to deal with it, many humans will either avoid the trigger, or ruminate (where they will carry on thinking about it over and over again, coming up with no solution, thus feeling depressed). Unfortunately if its not treated, people can and do suicide (very sad I know).

Medication is an option as treatment for depression, and often works in the interim (SSRI's as prescribed by a GP) - other forms of help are Cognitive Behaviour Therapy which is what I offer. It allows people to either work on changing their thinking patterns, by examining their core beliefs, or changing their behaviour patterns.

I hope the author of the comments made above clearly thinks hard about what he has said..... those comments allow people feeling depressed to carry on, often in the worst situations thinking that they 'should get a grip'. Very often, 'getting a grip' is not often within their situational controll. As a result, they can become more depressed and even suicidal. If it was your father, mother, daughter,friend in this situation how would you feel? Many people who are depressed are too scared to tell anyone how they feel, they bottle it up....... the UK culture is often seen as having a "stiff upper lip", keeping it all in, dont admit defeat.... its not the way to go. Depression is nothing to be ashamed about... there is help, and people with it, do need help.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I hope the author of the comments made above clearly thinks hard about what he has said..... those comments allow people feeling depressed to carry on, often in the worst situations thinking that they 'should get a grip'. Very often, 'getting a grip' is not often within their situational controll. As a result, they can become more depressed and even suicidal.
Thank you for a fabulous post scoobydoo. I am guessing the poster has not walked in these shoes before, hence his comments. Karma sent.