Bought a house in Devon

Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought a house in Devon

Hi david, I know you have probably posted over on 50s thread but it moves so fast wont be able to find it after two days away! I am so glad to hear it is all going ahead now.........just remind me though, do you have to go back to Canada to get your stuff shipped and tie up any lose ends or are your friends shipping it for you? Best of luck!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi david, I know you have probably posted over on 50s thread but it moves so fast wont be able to find it after two days away! I am so glad to hear it is all going ahead now.........just remind me though, do you have to go back to Canada to get your stuff shipped and tie up any lose ends or are your friends shipping it for you? Best of luck!
Hi charleygirl.....yes I have to go back once the house is finalized . I wish I did not have to but the shipping has to be organized and must sell the car and tie up some lose ends. Wish I could just stay here now. My partner will stay and do all the renos while I'm gone. I wish !!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Gosh, all this Devon talk is making me really homesick. David, you must be on the edge of your seat waiting for the reports. Fingers crossed!
Well no phone call yet and it's now 9:50 pm. Will be patient and wait till the morning.
Really starting to feel at home again here in Devon. It really is a lovely part of the world. The one thing that hasn't changed here are the wonderful coastal and country walks......just brilliant.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Dawlish sounds great! Our daughter may be going to uni at Exeter and we might be looking for property in the area in 2012.

Hopefully the budget will be quite good if the exchange rate doesn't change too much!

What other areas would you recommend around Exeter and how would Dawlish compare to other alternatives?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:36 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
Dawlish sounds great! Our daughter may be going to uni at Exeter and we might be looking for property in the area in 2012.

Hopefully the budget will be quite good if the exchange rate doesn't change too much!

What other areas would you recommend around Exeter and how would Dawlish compare to other alternatives?
It really depends what you want. Exmouth is bigger than Dawlish with a few more amenities and still close to Exeter with easy transport. We don't so much like the layout though, because there isn't much property facing the sea. Lovely places down the river, though.

Going east from there you have Buddleigh Salterton, Sidmouth, Seaton, Lyme Regis, but you're off the train line, which does make a difference.

Teignmouth's a bit further down the coast than Dawlish and again, has a bit more, but not that much and it's an easy bus ride from Dawlish so I think of them as almost one thing.

Dawlish is quiet and even a bit run down, but they're working hard at it. It has the potential to be an upscale seaside spot. There's green area and the stream down to the sea, plus some nice old buildings. The people are friendly. Heavy proportion of retired people, but that's true of most coastal towns in Devon. We have to keep reminding ourselves not to complain about that, being over 60s ourselves!

We like it. It's easy to walk into town from almost anywhere, though mostly down and up hills. There are some horribly steep streets on the east side. Lots of houses there with fabulous views but we decided the steepness was too much of a problem for people like us who prefer to walk into town for shopping, library, doctor, etc etc. A bit of ice and those streets would be lethal, leaving us having to get out the car and drive aways, plus Dawlish isn't a great place for parking!

A bit further and you're into Torquay and Paignton, which is getting toward city size. Lots more there, of course, but we didn't care for it. There are some nice small places along the coast between Teignmouth and Torbay, but they don't have much there because they seem to be more like suburbs. See above about us liking to walk to most things.

We've been up and down the Devon and Dorset coast and in the end we decided Dawlish suited us. Dead easy to pop into Exeter for a bit of city, plus pretty easy to take a train to a number of places, including London. It's an easy bus or drive to Newton Abbot (about 10 miles, I think) where there are a lot of big box stores. But for day to day we shop on the high street in Dawlish.

Bev
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dunstable Diva
Lovely reading stories of people returning "home." I would love to go back myself. I have been here 5 years. Out of interest does anyone know what % of Brits return from Canada???
Does anyone know the answer the this question. I really dont know. Might be a good idea to pop over to the Canadian forum.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bevm
It really depends what you want. Exmouth is bigger than Dawlish with a few more amenities and still close to Exeter with easy transport. We don't so much like the layout though, because there isn't much property facing the sea. Lovely places down the river, though.

Going east from there you have Buddleigh Salterton, Sidmouth, Seaton, Lyme Regis, but you're off the train line, which does make a difference.

Teignmouth's a bit further down the coast than Dawlish and again, has a bit more, but not that much and it's an easy bus ride from Dawlish so I think of them as almost one thing.

Dawlish is quiet and even a bit run down, but they're working hard at it. It has the potential to be an upscale seaside spot. There's green area and the stream down to the sea, plus some nice old buildings. The people are friendly. Heavy proportion of retired people, but that's true of most coastal towns in Devon. We have to keep reminding ourselves not to complain about that, being over 60s ourselves!

We like it. It's easy to walk into town from almost anywhere, though mostly down and up hills. There are some horribly steep streets on the east side. Lots of houses there with fabulous views but we decided the steepness was too much of a problem for people like us who prefer to walk into town for shopping, library, doctor, etc etc. A bit of ice and those streets would be lethal, leaving us having to get out the car and drive aways, plus Dawlish isn't a great place for parking!

A bit further and you're into Torquay and Paignton, which is getting toward city size. Lots more there, of course, but we didn't care for it. There are some nice small places along the coast between Teignmouth and Torbay, but they don't have much there because they seem to be more like suburbs. See above about us liking to walk to most things.

We've been up and down the Devon and Dorset coast and in the end we decided Dawlish suited us. Dead easy to pop into Exeter for a bit of city, plus pretty easy to take a train to a number of places, including London. It's an easy bus or drive to Newton Abbot (about 10 miles, I think) where there are a lot of big box stores. But for day to day we shop on the high street in Dawlish.

Bev
So I totally love South Devon - My mum lives there and we would love to relocate there from sunny, hot hot hot Perth - however, I do worry where we would find work?
I do hear of a few BE moving to the South West but do you struggle to find work?
My husband is a jeweller and I have an office based job.

Be interested to hear what the job market is like in Devonia.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:41 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

conrats Bev, it must be really exciting. I think I may have a look down that way myself next week. If there are good networks to Exeter etc that would be perfect as my OH is an electrican and would be able to commute. My 18 year old would be able to access Exeter too to do his thing so it sound perfect. I'm going to check out Kent too as I know they have great weather down there and I have a friend who can show me around.
Anyway really happy for you and that you have really found you place to settle.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bevm,
have been watching your posts,so pleased that you have found your dream place. Dawlish is beautiful, spent a week there 5 years ago and loved it Also Dawilsh Warren,and it's so close to Exeter. all the very best in your new home.
cheers I.G.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

workhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Few pics of the amazing Jurassic Coast taken at the weekend during spring low tide on a walk from Sidmouth to Ladram Bay.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a house in Devon-sidmouth.jpg   Bought a house in Devon-ladrum-bay.jpg   Bought a house in Devon-ladrum-bay2.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

beautiful photos thanks workhouse. I will be there again in August on holidays,can't wait
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by workhouse
Few pics of the amazing Jurassic Coast taken at the weekend during spring low tide on a walk from Sidmouth to Ladram Bay.
Thanks for the photos.

Here are a few from around here. The beach is at Teignmouth last week, and the trees line an open area near our rental in Dawlish.

Bev
Attached Thumbnails Bought a house in Devon-tmouthbeach.jpg   Bought a house in Devon-trees.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oh dear. This is making me really homesick now. Beautiful photos of a beautiful place.

As someone else asked, is finding work hard right now? My husband is a time served plumber and gasfitter.

What are house prices like . I just wonder if we'd even be able to afford a property.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:52 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

heading over your way Bev tomorrow for a couple of days staying at Potters Mooring in Teignmouth. We are in Ilfracombe today then making our way to your area for a reccy.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:02 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by fatcat65
heading over your way Bev tomorrow for a couple of days staying at Potters Mooring in Teignmouth. We are in Ilfracombe today then making our way to your area for a reccy.
Hope you like it here. We've been really socked in with sea mist on and off for days. Last night we could hardly see the house across the street. It's clearer now, but damp and chilly. It was much better weather this time last year.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.