Bought a house in Devon

Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice
Default Re: Bought a house in Devon

Originally Posted by workhouse
Congrats! Dawlish is lovely, nice golf course there too!

We spent a couple of weeks in last June scouting out Devon and Cornwall for our planned return later this month. We flew from Toronto straight into Exeter on Air Transat which was a real bonus, headed to Looe and worked our way westward along the south coast to Truro, north to coast and all the way along to Somerset and then south to the east Devon coast. We did 1500 miles in the two weeks - a lot of driving considering much of it was on A & B roads.

We thought where Cornwall edged it in terms of tranquility and its picturesque beauty - Fowey, St Mawes and Boscastle in particular and Truro is a perfect sized city, very nice feel about it and some beautiful architecture, Devon had more livable year-round communities and better access to transport links. We liked the Jurassic coastal area from Budleigh to Lyme Regis, though the lack of a direct train line might have us favouring Honiton or Axminster.

We've a Colyford holiday rental booked for 4 weeks in late January while we seek out an unfurnished place for a 12 month rental
Good luck with your trip this month sounds wonderful. I think we'll be following in your footsteps hopefully later this year. BYW what made you decide to go for an unfurnished rental, are you shipping your furniture?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

workhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll want the longer term rental in a specific area, far more likely to be an unfurnished rental, particularly with us needing pet space. We had no heirlooms nor assisted relocation! so all furniture was sold in Toronto, shipped 24 largish boxes with personal stuff such as clothes and the like which I guess is somewhere between mid-Atlantic and Liverpool.

Had the most fab expat 20 years: Germany/Munich, Canada/Toronto, US/San Fran and Canada/Toronto. We got the pull to return for something longer than a visit during a trip to the Lakes in 2009 and prior to that point had not much thought about going back. Our trip to the south west last summer just reinforced that urge

Last edited by workhouse; Jan 8th 2011 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

We'll want the longer term rental in a specific area, far more likely to be an unfurnished rental, particularly with us needing pet space. We had no heirlooms nor assisted relocation! so all furniture was sold in Toronto, shipped 24 largish boxes with personal stuff such as clothes and the like which I guess is somewhere between mid-Atlantic and Liverpool.

Had the most fab expat 20 years: Germany/Munich, Canada/Toronto, US/San Fran and Canada/Toronto. We got the pull to return for something longer than a visit during a trip to the Lakes in 2009 and prior to that point had not much thought about going back. Our trip to the south west last summer just reinforced that urge
That Lake District will do it every time!! I was lucky enough to live there for 6 months in 2009, what a place, we may have passed each other.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 9th 2011 at 12:42 am.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Hi Workhouse, That's very helpful info...thanks. We are planning on selling all our furniture too. First, though, we have to sell property. We've been in Canada for 30 years, lots of good times, but now we've both taken early retirement, we're looking for a new adventure with a touch of home thrown in!

Our plan is to research towns to live (Devon, Cornwall or Dorset) online plus input from the lovely people on this forum. Then narrow it down to 3 or 4 places. Once we've sold, move over there, rent for a month or so, and hope to buy asap. Sooo, we'll see how it goes.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Cheers, you too!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Do those of you moving to Devon have friends or family there?

That would be my chosen spot if I had absolute freedom, but all our friends and family are in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumbria and Scotland, so it just doesn't seem to make sense. I still toy with it though and am very envious.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

None in Devon. I've some in north Cornwall, the immediate being up in Manchester. The missus lot are in Wiltshire.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bevm
So perhaps our wanderings are over. We meant to settle on the south Devon coast, but when we came back from Canada we were tempted by the lovely north and rented in Whitby. Lovely place but too cold and harsh for us.

So we rented down here in Dawlish, and a house just turned up nearby. Lovely sea view, stuck in the late '70s so it needs work, but priced accordingly. And as we're renting we don't have to live in the middle of the unheaval!

We don't think property is a growth investment any more, and reckon prices could well go down, but this will be our home for quite a while, we hope.

Bev
We are almost neighbours. My partner and I have just relocated to Devon from Canada after 37 years there. Presently in Teignmouth but are in the process of buying a house in Brixham. Looked at a property in Dawlish also where I have quite a few relatives. Good luck with the house.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Do those of you moving to Devon have friends or family there?

That would be my chosen spot if I had absolute freedom, but all our friends and family are in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumbria and Scotland, so it just doesn't seem to make sense. I still toy with it though and am very envious.
Yes, my sister lives in Devon, and I have a few cousins, although am not really in touch them them. I woud still move there even without the family connection though. Growing up in Somerset, I spent many childhood holidays in Devon visiting my Grandma and other family. Also when my husband and I were first "going out" we used to go camping in Devon and Cornwall and always loved it. Of course, we couldn't live there then as we needed jobs.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Perhaps the secret is to live within walking distance of the daily necessities and driving distance of somewhere bigger to shop.
Denise, that works for us. Dawlish and Teignmouth have plenty for day to day shopping, and we can walk into Dawlish. It's pretty easy to find a house there in walking distance. In fact, if you're a walker, everywhere is!

Then Exeter and Newton Abbot for bigger things.

Bev
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
We are almost neighbours. My partner and I have just relocated to Devon from Canada after 37 years there. Presently in Teignmouth but are in the process of buying a house in Brixham. Looked at a property in Dawlish also where I have quite a few relatives. Good luck with the house.
Congrats David on finding a property. Spent several holidays in Brixham when I was a child. My dad loved to go down and watch the catch come in! I can remember watching the fisherman throwing the fish in different containers, and all the seagulls screaming around waiting for scraps!

Also, congrats to Bev on the house in Dawlish. I've spent loads of summers all along the south coast, and the train used to go through all of those places. Teignmouth, Paignton, Dawlish, etc.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad used to own a hotel in Paignton near Torquay and we spent many a vacation there. We often visited Brixham for the day and found it charming. We also spent many days on Dartmoor exploring the villages and hamlets up there, places like Widecomb and Badgers Holt where you can get the best Devon Cream Tea in the world. My dad is now retired and lives near Babbacombe. My brother has lived in several different towns in Devon but has finally put down roots in Tavistock. I haven't visited him there yet, but from his photo's it looks lovely.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mallory
Congrats David on finding a property. Spent several holidays in Brixham when I was a child. My dad loved to go down and watch the catch come in! I can remember watching the fisherman throwing the fish in different containers, and all the seagulls screaming around waiting for scraps!

Also, congrats to Bev on the house in Dawlish. I've spent loads of summers all along the south coast, and the train used to go through all of those places. Teignmouth, Paignton, Dawlish, etc.
Anxiously waiting for the surveyor's report now of which we should receive the verbal report this evening followed by a more in depth written report in a couple of days. Hoping it is good so we can move along with the process and exchange contracts. Really want to get settled again.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bevm
Denise, that works for us. Dawlish and Teignmouth have plenty for day to day shopping, and we can walk into Dawlish. It's pretty easy to find a house there in walking distance. In fact, if you're a walker, everywhere is!

Then Exeter and Newton Abbot for bigger things.

Bev
Yes, we are definitely walkers. That's one of the things we are sooo looking forward to...all those lovely lovely walks along the sea and cliffs. You sound very happy.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HighTide
Anxiously waiting for the surveyor's report now of which we should receive the verbal report this evening followed by a more in depth written report in a couple of days. Hoping it is good so we can move along with the process and exchange contracts. Really want to get settled again.
Gosh, all this Devon talk is making me really homesick. David, you must be on the edge of your seat waiting for the reports. Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.