Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Born in Manchester - Lived in Canada since 1 year old - now 47

Born in Manchester - Lived in Canada since 1 year old - now 47

Old Apr 16th 2020, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

mayurj is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Born in Manchester - Lived in Canada since 1 year old - now 47

Hello group. I am going to have plenty of questions about moving back to UK. What I'm looking for is a game plan of the various benefits, and support that I need to apply for. Here is a little about me:
  • Born in Manchester in 72
  • Emigrated to Canada as a refugee with parents at age 1
  • Lived in Vancouver my whole life
I have plenty of family in UK on mom's side - Some in London, some in Manchester. Mom is getting old now, and father has passed. I want to get myself setup in UK and bring mom along eventually.

I'm in Tech and can work, but I need some time to get settled. What benefits should I apply for? Are there any guides you can refer me to? Are there any companies that may offer some consulting?

Also, am I entitled to any benefits as a British born? I have never applied or investigated what's available to me. Pension? I have no idea.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th 2020, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Manchester - Lived in Canada since 1 year old - now 47

As you were born in the UK prior to 1983, it is likely you are a Brit, although your statement that you moved to Canada as a refugee makes one wonder what your status was in the UK. Were your parents British or had settled status in the UK?

With regard to benefits whether or not you are eligible for anything will only be determined once you are in the UK, applied and gone through the necessary assessments. If you are a single guy, probably nothing.

As you have lived in Canada your whole life you won't be eligible for a State Pension.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As you were born in the UK prior to 1983, it is likely you are a Brit, although your statement that you moved to Canada as a refugee makes one wonder what your status was in the UK. Were your parents British or had settled status in the UK?
Mom has a British passport, and I have also. I'm less sure about her status. I have operated as dual citizen so I'm pretty sure I'm british still. Would be very surprised if I wasn't. I have been to UK many times and even renewed and got the EU passport at one point.

Yes, single no kids, wife, but likely seperating (thus asking about moving back). So wait, if I'm with a wife and elderly mother, I get more support?

Thanks for answering
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayurj
Mom has a British passport, and I have also. I'm less sure about her status. I have operated as dual citizen so I'm pretty sure I'm british still. Would be very surprised if I wasn't. I have been to UK many times and even renewed and got the EU passport at one point.

Yes, single no kids, wife, but likely seperating (thus asking about moving back). So wait, if I'm with a wife and elderly mother, I get more support?

Thanks for answering
If both you and your mother have British passports, then you're British citizens and have a legal right to move to and live in the UK.

Claiming benefits will be subject to you passing the Habitual Residence Test, info here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/
Rules that came into force on 1 January 2014 mean that, if you're claiming income-based jobseeker's allowance and do need to show that you are habitually resident, you cannot be viewed as habitually resident until you've been living in the UK or elsewhere in the common travel area for at least three months. This means that if you claim income-based jobseeker's allowance immediately on your return to the UK from outside this area you won't receive this benefit for at least three months.

If you're planning to move back to the UK and you think you will need means-tested benefits and housing straight away, think about how you would cope if you can't meet the conditions of the HRT for three months or more
Old Apr 17th 2020, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for answering
Thanks for confirming you are a Brit. Your first posting was sketchy to say the least.

So you are asking about what benefits you are eligible for if you return to the UK. As said, you need to show permanent residency in the UK and will need to apply for benefits, so who knows.

You certainly won't get any when you first arrive, so you need to have your own resources.

Old Apr 17th 2020, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Habitual Residency Test will stop you getting benefits.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Pension? I have no idea.
Your pension will be based on what you've contributed, have you ever made National Insurance contributions? You need at least 35 years of contributions to get a full state pension, but if you've never done so you could start to contribute now to get part of a pension at least. You can also back pay a number of years, I think it's a maximum of 6, and given the cost of Class 2 contributions (which is what you'd pay as an expat) is only about £3 a week, it's well worth doing. Once you're in the UK and working there, you'll then pay 'proper' NI contributions at a higher rate, but for now you could take advantage of being able to pay the reduced rate and pay for at least 6 years worth to catch up a bit.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your pension will be based on what you've contributed, have you ever made National Insurance contributions? You need at least 35 years of contributions to get a full state pension, but if you've never done so you could start to contribute now to get part of a pension at least. You can also back pay a number of years, I think it's a maximum of 6, and given the cost of Class 2 contributions (which is what you'd pay as an expat) is only about £3 a week, it's well worth doing. Once you're in the UK and working there, you'll then pay 'proper' NI contributions at a higher rate, but for now you could take advantage of being able to pay the reduced rate and pay for at least 6 years worth to catch up a bit.
This is superb info to learn. Thanks! Something to investigate for sure.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Habitual Residency Test will stop you getting benefits.
Seems that way yes. OK, at least I know what I'm up against. So probably try to arrange work before arriving, or have a way to stay somewhere for a few months - I have family, so there are some options.

Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Seems that way yes. OK, at least I know what I'm up against. So probably try to arrange work before arriving, or have a way to stay somewhere for a few months - I have family, so there are some options.
If you have family you can stay with for a few months then that's a huge expense you won't have to worry about, plus you'll have the NHS so your healthcare's sorted.