Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Booked our flights back to ole Blighty.

Booked our flights back to ole Blighty.

Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:48 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linda

Glad to hear all is going well...yep I bet the daughters are having a great time !!ekkkk wait till mum and dad get there and then show them how it's really done !!!

Keep us posted....

P
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sethyed
HM - thanks for this flight tip. I just checked and cheaper than anything else so far. Good luck! I sent you a PM as I too am a 9 year expat who cannot WAIT to get home this summer. Who did you use for moving?

Thanks for the PM, if I can help in anyway let me know.
As far as the moving firm, we are lucky to have a brother in law who works for a shipping company, so we got the shipping back to the UK for $2000 40ft container.
Try AAA movers or A1 movers, can't remember the exact name, they gave me a quote of $4600 door to door including packing and packing supplies.
I would suggest you pick three companies and play one off against the other to get the price down. My quotes started at $7000 approx and after a lot of calls I got them down to the above quote. It's a bit of work but definately worth it.

Oh I think another was express movers with a similar quote. The names of the two women I dealt with for were Tammy and Galia so you will know if you have the same one... They were very helpful by the way.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Ploughmans lunch only a couple of weeks away pants....

Had confirmation today. The stretch limo is booked to the airport, compliments of the place eldest son and I volunteer at. WOOHOO... Great way to go out.....

Glad the link is helping with cheap flights.

Mr Honeymommy has an interview the day after we get back to the UK so thats great. He had the telephone interview last week and it went very well.
I can arrange work with an agency initially, untill we know hubby's hours. Then I can look for something more permanant.
I am going to try to get the kids into a school for the last 2 weeks before summer holidays. This will give them a chance to meet a few kids and get an idea of what the school is like. May help them settle a little easier.
I have a load of houses to view when we get there. There are loads available for rent, so thats great for us.

So now we are doing the last minute stuff, sleeping on the floor

One regret...... I wish I had bought 2 twin airbeds instead of the double.. Every time hubby moves I get seasick!!!!!!

Well off for my coffee now to wake me up.....

Mr H and I joked about bags under our eyes. He says he will have to put preparation H under his eyes before the interview. It helps to hide them apparently...:scared:

Hows that for a tip.....
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by honeymommy
Mr H and I joked about bags under our eyes. He says he will have to put preparation H under his eyes before the interview. It helps to hide them apparently...:scared:

Hows that for a tip.....
Yes, but then they shrivel up and disappear up your nose.

:scared:
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

WOW!!!!

I never knew anyone that ACTUALLY tried it!!!!!

Hows ya sinuses now then?

Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

gem03 is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck honeymommy with the move back home! your a laugh I must say. We leave around July 8, thank the lord, I will be happy not to pack another bloody thing in my life. When my hubby moans, I tell him that it is just us two and we don't have that much stuff, but honeymommy has a walton clan, and she is always laughing her head off.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

haha.. The Waltons... I used to joke with the kids at night about the waltons.... It got a bit out of hand in the end with them shouting to each other over and over again......

As far as packing... I made a huge mistake now the furniture is all gone.. I made nice neat piles of T-shirts, pants, sweaters, socks, undies, etc for each child next to their bed thinkig it would be fine till we had to pack into the cases...... BAD MOVE!!!!!!

I am now facing 2 rooms that look like a disaster from that TV show that organises people's homes. Their clothes are all over the place cus they just have to have the T-shirt and shorts from the bottom of the dam pile!!!!!

So... we have 1 week to go... I am going to pack most of it and leave them with minimal items that won't have much floor coverage..... LOL

I would love to say I never want to pack again, but to be honest I know that as soon as we can buy a home I will be ready to throw everything in bags and head off again.....

One good thing.... It's great for throwing out all the accumulated crap...... Especially when the kids are at school.... (Sneaky mom here)

Have a great flight by the way..... Don't worry too much about neat packing, just throw it all in and sort it out the other end.... It will be creased anyway........
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:31 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi honeymommy

good luck with your move back...the weather is dull at the moment but the sun should be out by the time you touch down!!!
i dont come on here much these days, only to kill the odd 5 minutes here and there, so i havent really followed your story...but i wish you and your family all the luck and love in the world. Life changes at such a fast pace these days, you never really know whats round the corner....so good luck for the future!

sue
xxx