Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Hi all....it's been on my mind for a while now, I moved here in 2011, but I just don't feel like I am settling here.
I originally moved out here for a relationship, after 4 years that didn't work out, it's been 2 years since we separated (this isn't a crazy run back home kind of thing) and for the past 6 months I've done nothing but think about moving back.
I live in Brantford, not one of the nicest areas! But I have never really liked it here, I'm not used to the lifestyle in this city, and no matter what I do I just can't seem to settle! I used to work in administration and human resources (ex British army), and now I work in Timmies, it pays the bills, but finding a job that pays more than min wage around here is super tough, I don't have qualifications but I have a huge amount of experience, but getting an interview is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!!!

I guess my main questions would be...where do I start if I decide to move? I have a dog (bull mastiff), who would come back with me too, I have a house of my own, which could be easily sold! But can anyone suggest where I look or find info for the following:

- flying a dog back to the uk, costs, vets etc
- sending back boxes of personal things (I'd leave as much as I can, but after 5 years, it's hard to fit your life into a suitcase)
- anything else I might not have thought about this end?
- I transferred my pension over here, would that cause any problems moving back? Obviously I know I can't claim it again!!

When I get back, it should be fairly simple...I would move back in with family until I find a place, my sister works in a recruitment agency so getting a job should be straight forward.

It's still just a thought, but I'd like to fully research my options before making any decisions!
Thanks in advance for your help
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

chudleigh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Hi, my husband and I have been here now for several years and are thinking of moving back to be closer to elderly relatives - and also because I particularly miss home. We have a dog too. It is an expensive business and your dog needs to be in good health. Cost wise a large dog (we have a giant Schnauzer) could be around $5k. We estimate our whole move (two cats, dog, house full of belongings) is going to be approximately $30k. You also need to close your affairs here with CRA. That's important! They aren't as amenable as The Inland Revenue. Good luck and maybe wait for the outcome of the general election!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in the UK are you heading back to?
I was over a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty grim...Are you sure you're making the right decision?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks chudleigh, my dog is 4 years old and in good health so that's the 'easy' part!

All of my family are in the UK, that's my main reason for wanting to move back, the only other option is to move within Canada, but then I'd have to start all over again, and I'm 35 and not sure I want to do that anymore!

I've heard it's not amazing over there at the moment, I'm booking a visit at Christmas this year...I think I'm hoping that will make my decision for me, I'll either love it and want to stay or I'll miss my current home!

I'm hoping this is just a phase and things will improve over here for me, which is why I'm not making this decision over night, I'm just finding out what I'd have to do if I was to move, just in case if that makes sense?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I struggled with finding work as well as an administrator, so I hear you! Have you considered moving elsewhere in Ontario or Canada though, Brantford isn't perhaps the best place to live or find work.

Air transat for pet transportation from Canada is your cheapest option ($275 one way). Flying With Pets and Airline-Approved Pet Carriers | Air Transat

Depending on the amount of goods you have to transport back, Air Transat Cargo are also reasonably priced. LeisureCargo: The Total Air Cargo Management Experts

You should get advice on selling your house and your tax liability on leaving Canada (there's a thread in the Canada forum about it, if I recall correctly). Edited to add, here it is: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...advice-895346/

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 27th 2017 at 12:05 am.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Siouxie, that's a great help...I'll look into that information, even if it ends up just being a back up plan!
I have briefly thought about moving, but I wouldn't know where to go or where to start with that either! I love it out west, but I've heard that it can be quite expensive to live out that way so I'd have to think it through carefully.
Thanks for your help and the links
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

We cruised home on the Queen mary 2 with our dog in 2012,it worked out a lot cheaper than flying with him and you get unlimited luggage .We have been back here 5 years now but hoping to move back to Canada this year ,kids are grown up now so its the right time for us (3rd time lucky haha)
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mush77
I originally moved out here for a relationship, after 4 years that didn't work out, it's been 2 years since we separated (this isn't a crazy run back home kind of thing) and for the past 6 months I've done nothing but think about moving back.
The OP may want to consider applying for Canadian citizenship before returning to the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

I was thinking the exact same thing today...at least then I will have the option to return if I need to!
Thank you for everyone's advice...I love how everyone is so helpful
Old Apr 28th 2017, 11:47 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
The OP may want to consider applying for Canadian citizenship before returning to the UK.
+1 for this, especially if OP is still relatively young.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 11:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Where in the UK are you heading back to?
I was over a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty grim...Are you sure you're making the right decision?
Where did you visit?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Where did you visit?
Mostly London.
Not the touristy areas though, the suburbs visiting friends and family.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Streets are filthy
Rubbish everywhere
Dumped furniture all over the place
People screaming at each other on public transport
Overcrowded trains and buses
M25 blocked
Roads congested
fast food outlets everywhere
massive rat infestation

...and these were just the good points!
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Streets are filthy
Rubbish everywhere
Dumped furniture all over the place
People screaming at each other on public transport
Overcrowded trains and buses
M25 blocked
Roads congested
massive rat infestation

...and these were just the good points!
Oh, London? That explains it.
Old May 1st 2017, 3:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, Canada is hardly innocent of that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.