British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Blue Badge Parking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/blue-badge-parking-880650/)

kskillma Jul 19th 2016 1:29 pm

Blue Badge Parking

Hi there

My elderly aunt is returning to the UK after living in NZ for the past 45 years. She has the NZ equivalent of a blue badge (disabled parking permit) and she has asked me to find out how she goes about getting a UK one. However, will her NZ one be valid in the UK?

She is coming to stay with us until she can sort out private rental accommodation, which may be for several months. However, is there anything I should be doing as a priority (other than register her with my GP) as I feel I like I should really be doing some ground work now?

Novocastrian Jul 19th 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Blue Badge Parking

Originally Posted by kskillma (Post 12006417)
Hi there

My elderly aunt is returning to the UK after living in NZ for the past 45 years. She has the NZ equivalent of a blue badge (disabled parking permit) and she has asked me to find out how she goes about getting a UK one. However, will her NZ one be valid in the UK?

She is coming to stay with us until she can sort out private rental accommodation, which may be for several months. However, is there anything I should be doing as a priority (other than register her with my GP) as I feel I like I should really be doing some ground work now?

Her NZ badge won't be of direct relevance. She'll need to register with a GP who may or may not write a letter to the local council recommending issuance of a disabled driver sticker for her car.

kskillma Jul 19th 2016 2:57 pm

Great - many thanks for your help!

scot47 Jul 19th 2016 3:16 pm

Tell her to get a bus pass too ! (If she is fit enough to get on a bus.) A great boon. Conditions vary from area to area. In Scotland our "Bus Pass" (Concessionary Travel card) is good for free travel throughout Scotland by bus. cheap rail tickets in some areas too.

Editha Jul 19th 2016 4:33 pm

After she has moved to the UK your aunt can start the process for applying for a Blue Badge online here. The application goes to the local council where she is living.

You have to provide some documentary evidence of identity, resicence and a photo. When I applied on my mother's behalf, I was not asked to provide any medical evidence. I think it is up to the local authority whether to request medical evidence, and I guess the fact that mum is 90 years old was sufficient.

You don't have to apply online using the gov.uk website. You can ring your local authority and ask for forms.

The fee is £10.

Novocastrian Jul 19th 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12006565)
After she has moved to the UK your aunt can start the process for applying for a Blue Badge online here. The application goes to the local council where she is living.

You have to provide some documentary evidence of identity, resicence and a photo. When I applied on my mother's behalf, I was not asked to provide any medical evidence. I think it is up to the local authority whether to request medical evidence, and I guess the fact that mum is 90 years old was sufficient.

You don't have to apply online using the gov.uk website. You can ring your local authority and ask for forms.

The fee is £10.

That's interesting. I assume your mother was on side with that? We'd love to apply on my FIL's behalf but he won't hear of it. Nevertheless, it would be a great benefit for him. I've mentioned before that he'll be 89 in a few days.

Editha Jul 19th 2016 5:04 pm

Unfortunately, there isn't much 'groundwork' you can do before your aunt arrived. What to do after she arrives depends on how disabled she is. These are some of the resources available:

A Care Assessment, carried out by the local authority social care department. Your aunt will have a statutory right to an assessment of her needs.

An Occupational Therapy assessment. Either your aunt's GP, or the social care department can make the referral. If she is physically disabled, she should definitely do this. OT can provide aids, and do work to adapt her permanent home.

A Fire Service assessment of her permanent home. The assessment is free and they provide alarms free of charge. They are keen on providing the service for the elderly and infirm.

If she is disabled and elderly, she should consider getting a Lifeline pendant. There are a number of different companies offering this service, so it is worth shopping around.

There is a wikilinks list of useful information for the over fifties here.

I particularly recommend the Age UK site which is stuffed full of useful information.

Editha Jul 19th 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12006587)
That's interesting. I assume your mother was on side with that? We'd love to apply on my FIL's behalf but he won't hear of it. Nevertheless, it would be a great benefit for him. I've mentioned before that he'll be 89 in a few days.

Mum was onside. But, I don't think her signature was required.

Novocastrian Jul 19th 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12006595)
Mum was onside. But, I don't think her signature was required.

Thanks. My FIL shrinks from the word "disabled". I think he's worried that the label would restrict his driving rights, rather than just providing access to convenient parking spots.

Editha Jul 19th 2016 9:46 pm

It won't affect his entitlement to a driving licence.

Novocastrian Jul 20th 2016 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12006832)
It won't affect his entitlement to a driving licence.

We know that. He can be difficult. :(

Editha Jul 20th 2016 8:52 am

The Blue Badge is very handy (not that I want to gloat, or anything). We've had to take mum to outpatients appointments several times in the last couple of weeks. I reckon we've saved the £10 fee twice over in exemption from parking fees, as well as the convenience of being able to park closer to the clinic entrance.

Dundee15 Jul 20th 2016 1:50 pm

Here in Scotland you have to be in receipt of certain disability benefits to qualify for a Blue Badge, or you need a certificate from your GP confirming you meet the criteria to get the badge. Sadly you can not get one just because you are old!!!

kskillma Jul 20th 2016 3:05 pm

Thank you so much everyone - your comments are really helpful. She arrives on Sunday so tried to make appointment at local GP to register early next week but was told she needs to produce 'proof of residence'. I don't imagine she will be getting any official post within the first few days so that will have to wait. Hope she's not poorly beforehand! Think I may open her a bank account online - that may do the trick, they're bound to post something to her!

Novocastrian Jul 20th 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by kskillma (Post 12007458)
Thank you so much everyone - your comments are really helpful. She arrives on Sunday so tried to make appointment at local GP to register early next week but was told she needs to produce 'proof of residence'. I don't imagine she will be getting any official post within the first few days so that will have to wait. Hope she's not poorly beforehand! Think I may open her a bank account online - that may do the trick, they're bound to post something to her!

Just write a letter to her at your own address and have her take it with her to the GP.