Wikiposts

Blog & Twitter

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:26 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blog & Twitter

Sat here just typing up a newsletter telling customers what's happening and remembered I have a blog page on our web sites, which I forget to use because i think a newsy newsletter is more readable. I write a lot about my industry and I prefer writing hard copy work.

What is the point of blog anyway? I can't understand why anyone would want to read the minutiae of anyone else's life so I tend not to use our blog page much.

Just out of interest though, what does anyone else think? Do you use a blog to just let off steam or read it because you get something from it?

And Twitter? How does this benefit people when you can just direct people to your own web page?

Just interested that's all.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blog & Twitter

Well I do a blog and have done since 2004 when we first started thinking about Aus. I really can't be arsed to email all friends and family with pictures and info about what we've done and not done. They have the blog address and look in when they fancy. It's actually quite interesting looking back over the years to see what we were doing and how we were feeling at any particular point.

There are a few from other people that I love reading, regardless of whether I actually know them or not. I don't understand why you can't believe someone is interested in someone else's life, particularly if it's a loved one. Human nature dictates that most people are nosey anyway.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
Sat here just typing up a newsletter telling customers what's happening and remembered I have a blog page on our web sites, which I forget to use because i think a newsy newsletter is more readable. I write a lot about my industry and I prefer writing hard copy work.

What is the point of blog anyway? I can't understand why anyone would want to read the minutiae of anyone else's life so I tend not to use our blog page much.
A blog is just a newsletter on the internet. Whether you write it every day, once a week, once a month or whatever timeframe depends on the individual.

You think a newsletter is more readable than a blog page and you prefer a hard copy - but not all of your customers will feel the same way. Some may think that you are wasting paper and postage mailing out information that they could just as easily read on your webpage.

Not all blogs are about "the minutiae of someone else's life". There are news blogs, industry watchdog blogs etc etc. Like I said: a blog is just an online newsletter.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:21 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
A blog is just a newsletter on the internet. Whether you write it every day, once a week, once a month or whatever timeframe depends on the individual.

You think a newsletter is more readable than a blog page and you prefer a hard copy - but not all of your customers will feel the same way. Some may think that you are wasting paper and postage mailing out information that they could just as easily read on your webpage.

Not all blogs are about "the minutiae of someone else's life". There are news blogs, industry watchdog blogs etc etc. Like I said: a blog is just an online newsletter.
OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but.....a newsletter, well my newsletter anyway, reaches my individual customers inbox, so it goes to them, making it more personal and directly for their attention.
A blog is a statement published on a web link which people have to come and find if they want to read it, correct?
I'm just asking because I was just wondering, from a business perspective, how it all works and which has the most efficient effect. Especially as I'm moving head office to England but keeping a business going in Oz.
I'm guessing that blog is a general update while a newsletter direct to your inbox is a bit more of an invite to read.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:01 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket, for a business I think you need both. A newsletter to get important information to your customers, and a blog where you post whatever interests you. The benefit of that is that it will attract some people who aren't your customers but who might be.

For example, I'm not sure exactly what your business is, but I gather it's fashion. So if you posted bits about fashion whenever you found them, -- let's say something about a fashion show from the newspaper, or a link to a web page on the history of stockings -- people would find that and read that. Your business id would be prominent on the blog, therefore it's advertizing.

Personal blogs are for personal satisfaction, and maybe for friends and family if they're interested. Some people just love doing them. A few people have got rich doing them.

My opinion, anyway,

Bev
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bevm
Cricket, for a business I think you need both. A newsletter to get important information to your customers, and a blog where you post whatever interests you. The benefit of that is that it will attract some people who aren't your customers but who might be.

For example, I'm not sure exactly what your business is, but I gather it's fashion. So if you posted bits about fashion whenever you found them, -- let's say something about a fashion show from the newspaper, or a link to a web page on the history of stockings -- people would find that and read that. Your business id would be prominent on the blog, therefore it's advertizing.

Personal blogs are for personal satisfaction, and maybe for friends and family if they're interested. Some people just love doing them. A few people have got rich doing them.

My opinion, anyway,

Bev

Someone sent me a PM with almost the same comments as you Bev. Both options are good. Our newsletter often has our latest styles sent straight to our customers inbox and because we only so much fabric, they often sell out before they get placed on our web site.
I am happy about this because it means that if they're not visible on the web site, there's less chance of the designs being copied (I'm a fashion designer).

The blog is definitely a good way for newcomers to the web site to learn what's happening currently..........such as moving lock, stock and barrel to england.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:57 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

If you just hired an SEO consultant (as you say you did) I find it hard to believe that he hasn't told you about the ability of a blog (which is part of your main site) to attract incoming links and therefore boost your ranking in the engines.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:03 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
.....a newsletter, well my newsletter anyway, reaches my individual customers inbox, so it goes to them, making it more personal and directly for their attention.
I don't see that as more personal if it's the same thing that's been sent to everyone else.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:17 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Dont waste your energy she's been banned....

shame..
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont waste your energy she's been banned....

shame..
She brought it on herself.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
She brought it on herself.
Well, i for one am glad Polly. She has been harrassing people behind the scenes for months which many posters wouldnt know about.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well, i for one am glad Polly. She has been harrassing people behind the scenes for months which many posters wouldnt know about.
She was banned for sending offensive private messages, and the same fate will befall anyone else found doing so.

I think it is probably best to close the thread here.