Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Blimey it's 26th January......................

Blimey it's 26th January......................

Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:26 pm
  #1  
Grace and gratitude
Thread Starter
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,409
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blimey it's 26th January......................

..............and my first daffodil is in full bloom!!!!

Yes got up this morning - looked out my window and saw a big beautiful yellow bloom on my first daff!! Apparently it's been the warmest January on record... blah blah.... so that's probably got something to do with it.

Anyway just thought I'd share - Spring cannot be too far down the line!!

Oh and one last thing - to all those in Oz........

Happy Australia Day!!!!!!!!!
pommybird is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:28 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: In a little world all my own....
Posts: 417
jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by pommybird
..............and my first daffodil is in full bloom!!!!

Yes got up this morning - looked out my window and saw a big beautiful yellow bloom on my first daff!! Apparently it's been the warmest January on record... blah blah.... so that's probably got something to do with it.

Anyway just thought I'd share - Spring cannot be too far down the line!!

Oh and one last thing - to all those in Oz........

Happy Australia Day!!!!!!!!!
Oh I'm jealous - daffodils (for spring) and roses (for summer) are my favourite flowers. Daffs just go with the English countryside, don't they?
jojosan is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:52 pm
  #3  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by jojosan
Oh I'm jealous - daffodils (for spring) and roses (for summer) are my favourite flowers. Daffs just go with the English countryside, don't they?
Well how spooky. I have just come back from the fabulous Darling Harbour festivities and fireworks. We ended up sitting near a couple . She is from Nottingham, hates Australia but cannot leave as her husband is in the Aussie navy. Guess what we were chatting about? DAFFODILS!! She misses them

I feel a bit sad now. She gave me a big hug and kiss before we left and i wanted to ask her for her phone number, but as i am leaving Aus i felt it best not to strike up a new friendship. All the way home i was kicking myself as I would like to chat to her again

I doubt she is a member here... BUT... if you are that lovely lady with the red hair and navy husband waiting for the birth of your first grandchild please contact me!!!
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:36 am
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,533
TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

We ended up taking the kids, and sons friend, to Mindarie to just watch the fireworks. They were nice but then we spent an hour trying to get off the damn carpark.

That will be the last "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie/aren't we friggin great/best bladdy country in the world mate/Still Call Straya Home" night I'll ever have to do
TraceyW is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:07 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,533
TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I feel a bit sad now. She gave me a big hug and kiss before we left and i wanted to ask her for her phone number, but as i am leaving Aus i felt it best not to strike up a new friendship. All the way home i was kicking myself as I would like to chat to her again

!!!

I get what you mean totally Flea. I'm sure we all have that inner protection device that wants to prevent any forseeable impending hurt.

I've recently met a lovely lady who moved here three months ago and loves it with a passion. We knew each other a little before she came here (her best mate is dating my bro-in-law) and we e-mailed. Now I know, after the end of this year I will probably never see her again; I never intend to return here, and she has no desire to return to the UK ever. Yes, by being good friends with her it'll create pain for me when I leave here, but the joy I get from being in her company for however short a time is worth it.

By meeting that lady last night and just chatting you have made a connection with a like-minded person who has had an influence on your life, albeit short lived. I hope you meet her again.

Have a look at this, it's so true, even for those of us who only know each other in cyber land;





PEOPLE COME INTO YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person... When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant


Thank you for being a part of my life,
whether you were a reason, a season or a lifetime
TraceyW is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:24 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,913
Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We ended up taking the kids, and sons friend, to Mindarie to just watch the fireworks. They were nice but then we spent an hour trying to get off the damn carpark.

That will be the last "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie/aren't we friggin great/best bladdy country in the world mate/Still Call Straya Home" night I'll ever have to do
We didn't go. Kids were not bothered. Last year's were rubbish anyway. Infact Australia day is to celebrate the immigrants when you think about it. Not the Aussie's themselves
Nu-Shooz is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:08 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 716
Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We ended up taking the kids, and sons friend, to Mindarie to just watch the fireworks. They were nice but then we spent an hour trying to get off the damn carpark.

That will be the last "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie/aren't we friggin great/best bladdy country in the world mate/Still Call Straya Home" night I'll ever have to do
Irish Guinness is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:22 pm
  #8  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I get what you mean totally Flea. I'm sure we all have that inner protection device that wants to prevent any forseeable impending hurt.

I've recently met a lovely lady who moved here three months ago and loves it with a passion. We knew each other a little before she came here (her best mate is dating my bro-in-law) and we e-mailed. Now I know, after the end of this year I will probably never see her again; I never intend to return here, and she has no desire to return to the UK ever. Yes, by being good friends with her it'll create pain for me when I leave here, but the joy I get from being in her company for however short a time is worth it.

By meeting that lady last night and just chatting you have made a connection with a like-minded person who has had an influence on your life, albeit short lived. I hope you meet her again.

Have a look at this, it's so true, even for those of us who only know each other in cyber land;





PEOPLE COME INTO YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person... When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant


Thank you for being a part of my life,
whether you were a reason, a season or a lifetime

That is lovely Tracey. And so true. I am kicking myself now as we really hit it off
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:48 pm
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,533
TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by pommybird
..............and my first daffodil is in full bloom!!!!

Yes got up this morning - looked out my window and saw a big beautiful yellow bloom on my first daff!! Apparently it's been the warmest January on record... blah blah.... so that's probably got something to do with it.

Anyway just thought I'd share - Spring cannot be too far down the line!!

]
Crikey, spring has sprung early at your house eh?

I usually look out of our window and see at least two dozen flies stuck to the fly net!!


Ohhhhh happy days,
TraceyW is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:50 pm
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,533
TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We didn't go. Kids were not bothered. Last year's were rubbish anyway. Infact Australia day is to celebrate the immigrants when you think about it. Not the Aussie's themselves
You're right really. For a country that is made up of immigrants, the Aussie's choose to forget that minor detail and continue to be one of the most racist nations.
TraceyW is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
ree76's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: back in the uk
Posts: 48
ree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We ended up taking the kids, and sons friend, to Mindarie to just watch the fireworks. They were nice but then we spent an hour trying to get off the damn carpark.

That will be the last "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie/aren't we friggin great/best bladdy country in the world mate/Still Call Straya Home" night I'll ever have to do
we went down to mindarie aswell. got some funny looks while there as i was wearing a union jack t-shirt
ree76 is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:11 pm
  #12  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by ree76
we went down to mindarie aswell. got some funny looks while there as i was wearing a union jack t-shirt
I don't know why because it was 75% english there that night!
northernbird is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:42 pm
  #13  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,913
Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by ree76
we went down to mindarie aswell. got some funny looks while there as i was wearing a union jack t-shirt
And so you should wear your union jack t-shirt Afterall if it were'nt for the English, Irish and Scots..Australia wouldn't exist as it is today.
Nu-Shooz is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:55 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
ree76's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: back in the uk
Posts: 48
ree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
And so you should wear your union jack t-shirt Afterall if it were'nt for the English, Irish and Scots..Australia wouldn't exist as it is today.
And thats what they seem to forget when they moan about all us poms come over here taking their jobs. i dont understand how they can have so much ill feeling towards the uk when probably 75% are no more than 2 generations removed from british ancestors
ree76 is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:01 pm
  #15  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blimey it's 26th January......................

Originally Posted by ree76
And thats what they seem to forget when they moan about all us poms come over here taking their jobs. i dont understand how they can have so much ill feeling towards the uk when probably 75% are no more than 2 generations removed from british ancestors


Because Australia is going through its rebellious teenager phase of evolution. Has to disagree, dismiss, hate and despise everything about their parents whether they are right or wrong. They have a very immature mindset a lot of the time and it is cringeworthy at best, yet they cant see how daft they look to the rest of us.

You will rarely if ever hear any Australian media singing the praises of anything British, in fact they will often go out of their way to hide it... teenagers,, dont you just love 'em?
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.