Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bishops Stortford - what can you tell me?

Bishops Stortford - what can you tell me?

Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bishops Stortford - what can you tell me?

I think we're going to concentrate on settling in Bishop's Stortford. It looks (over the internet) to be a nice area, lovely greenery, good schools, commuter friendly etc.

Can anyone recommend a particular area within BS or advise against a particular area in BS? I'd prefer not to be in the Stansted flight path.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bishops Stortford - what can you tell me?

Stansted Airport is literally within walking distance of Bishop Stortford.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Can one get a seat on the train to London in the mornings? Or would maybe Saffron Walden be a better option?

Houses I sort of like (although I'd still prefer a more rural and bigger house and garden!)

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/sales/3119196
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/sales/3032508
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/sales/3064010
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/sales/3316726
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-21556314.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33996034.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-21567675.html
Old Jun 15th 2012, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I recently posted a pic of my house (my houses is in there somewhere I mean). Here it is again, pretty rural me thinks.

Bishop Stortford was my nearest town, about 15 minutes drive away. Yes you will get a seat on the train in the morning, I always did. Trains are plentiful from BS, they would not be quite as plentiful from Saffron Walden, I think BS is a better commuter town.

It is of course not walkable to Stansted Airport (re other post) and quite easy to avoid the flight path. Keep to the left of the M11 on a map for sure.

Try The Pelhams, The Hadhams, Manuden, Berden, Ugley, Standon, Albury.

Sawbridgeworth, Sheering, Hatfield Heath, Hatfield Broad Oak are also good options, trains from Sawbridgeworth are reasonably frequent too, although you get on after the BS lot so seats in the morning cannot be guaranteed.

Edit: Hmm I have just looked at a couple of your houses. Thorley Park. Chavtastic.
Attached Thumbnails Bishops Stortford - what can you tell me?-stocking-pelham.jpg  

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 15th 2012 at 7:25 am.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Thorley Park, hmmmm, thanks for the warning - shall avoid!!!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:48 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I lived in Bishop's Stortford before coming to the US in 2005. We lived there for five years and loved it. Whenever we return to the UK we still stay there in rented accommodation.

The town has become much more built up since we've been away - they even have a Starbucks now! I would disagree a little on Thorley Park being chavtastic! Yes, there are some parts of it that are, but there are others that are OK - you can easily see which is which. The houses will be larger in the better parts of Thorley Park,and frankly, if you go look at the area, you'll see the cars will be better and that the roads themselves just seem nicer. A bit amgibuous I know but you'll "get it" when you actually visit!

I would live back in that location in a heartbeat if we were to look at the UK again.

Good luck!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:50 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Pynchbek and Abbots Way - No's! IMHO!

Bishop's Gate was nice when it was first built, but I remember thinking it looked a bit tatty the last time I was there. It's nice and close to Tesco's though!

Have you looked at anything on St Michael's Mead? That's probably one of the higher end "estates" there.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:54 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I recently posted a pic of my house (my houses is in there somewhere I mean). Here it is again, pretty rural me thinks.

Bishop Stortford was my nearest town, about 15 minutes drive away. Yes you will get a seat on the train in the morning, I always did. Trains are plentiful from BS, they would not be quite as plentiful from Saffron Walden, I think BS is a better commuter town.

It is of course not walkable to Stansted Airport (re other post) and quite easy to avoid the flight path. Keep to the left of the M11 on a map for sure.

Try The Pelhams, The Hadhams, Manuden, Berden, Ugley, Standon, Albury.

Sawbridgeworth, Sheering, Hatfield Heath, Hatfield Broad Oak are also good options, trains from Sawbridgeworth are reasonably frequent too, although you get on after the BS lot so seats in the morning cannot be guaranteed.

Edit: Hmm I have just looked at a couple of your houses. Thorley Park. Chavtastic.
It is walkable from Bishop Stortford because i have done it..i worked at the Airport as a trainee when the new terminal was being built..if i missed my lift from Chelmsford to Stansted i would have to get the bus/train to BS and walk to the site.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:24 am
Just Joined

burgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

New to this site but we are moving back to UK after many years away and are planning on Bishop's Stortford for the same reasons given below.

Nicola, did you complete the move and how was/is it? Particularily interested in getting the kids (8/10) into good schools.

Any tips welcome.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Nicola1
I think we're going to concentrate on settling in Bishop's Stortford. It looks (over the internet) to be a nice area, lovely greenery, good schools, commuter friendly etc.

Can anyone recommend a particular area within BS or advise against a particular area in BS? I'd prefer not to be in the Stansted flight path.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

UK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really niceUK IFA is just really nice

Recommend that you look at

Zoopla.co.uk
Homecheck.co.uk

if you have an i phone there is an app called emortgage, which is a property finder plus has costs for getting a mortgage.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Burgin,

We didn't get around to looking at the area whilst we were on our recce in July and August, so we've decided on the Farnham/Guilford area's in Surrey. It was really beautiful that side. I have heard that Saffron Walden near BS is lovely.

Schooling wise, www.ofsted.co.uk provides alot of information, all the best with your search.

Kind regards,
Nicola
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We spent time recently in this part of Herts and in the end decided on Ware.
Big part of this is it's where my Wife's job is. But I needed to decent link into either Liverpool Street or Moorgate so our list covered most town on the A10 outside the M25 (Cheshunt, Broxbourne, Hoddeson, Ware to Hertford East and Sawbridgeworth Bishops Stortford.

Conclusion was that the reduced rent for BS was mitigated by commute for her and fare for me.
Check this site if you have need for a London work commute
http://www.commutefrom.com/

We also considered Knebworth and Welwyn but Ware came out tops.
Yes the trains are less frequent but once the timetable is known can work to that. Plus I have some flexibility.

We looked at a couple of places in Thorley area and they were very tired. One was set up as student house for sure so be cautious if you have to rent/buy unseen.

Good luck. If the die had rolled differently BS may have worked but not for us this time.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

burgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips. We need to commute to Liverpool Street. We were looking at Bishops Stortford as the schools there looked, in general, very good. Will see how we get along.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Clair38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burgin
Hello,

New to this site but we are moving back to UK after many years away and are planning on Bishop's Stortford for the same reasons given below.

Nicola, did you complete the move and how was/is it? Particularily interested in getting the kids (8/10) into good schools.

Any tips welcome.

Thanks
Hi,
I've just come across this string from last year. I am currently looking at moving back to the UK after many years away and also thinking about Bishops Stortford...just wondered whether it worked out for you and what you think of the place/schools etc?
Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Clair38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burgin
Hello,

Any tips welcome.

Thanks
Hi,
I've just come across this string from last year. I am currently looking at moving back to the UK after many years away and also thinking about Bishops Stortford...just wondered whether it worked out for you and what you think of the place/schools etc?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.