Big thank you

Old Dec 24th 2018, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Big thank you

Just want to say thank you to all who moderate this forum you are all such a wealth of knowledge. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year..
We are hopefully moving back to the UK just waiting on hubbies spousal approval.
We have gleaned so much from all who post and had not thought about many things that would be impacted including my IRA, car insurance bank accounts etc.
I have dual citizenship and my husband is a US citizen retired but originally from South Africa.
We went the savings route for the financial component thinking it would be easiest.
I am a nurse and was a nurse in the UK prior to moving to the US however re registering in the UK has been challenging as I need to know an RN who is active on the UK registry to be reinstated.
I have lived in the US since 1987 so I am unable to meet that part of the requirement which is a shame since they imply there is a shortage of RNs in the UK.
Our house is sold and we close on the 28th December.
Our dog is already in England and spending time with our family ( We are jealous he gets to be with the family for Christmas and new year )
So all that’s left is a big fat “yes” on the decision for my hubbys visa and we are resigned to not hearing anything until mid January 2019.

I did have a few questions
We have Amex and see we can apply for the global transfer should we apply before we leave the US or when we arrive in the UK ?

Also my IRA is either Wells Fargo should I move it ? They told us we could leave it for 3 years without changing the address it should I move to Vanguard ?

We moved money to HSBC USA and opened a premier account so plan to open a HSBC account in the UK. Should we wait until we get to the UK to do this or should we open a international account with HSBC and have funds accessible in pounds sterling.

Thanks in advance for all responses

Old Dec 24th 2018, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Big thank you

I think you should do as much as you can from the USA such as moving your IRA from Wells Fargo because if after 3 years Wells Fargo say they won’t accept an overseas address then you won’t be able to open a Vanguard IRA to roll it into. (Vanguard accepts overseas addresses no problem, but you can’t open an account if you are not US resident).

Ditto with HSBC if not too inconvenient. Our son had a US HSBC account but lived in Houston and didn’t want to travel thousands of miles to appear in person to open a UK HSBC account. Instead he waited until he was here and it was a bit of a hassle doing it.

i would think sorting out your existing Amex card would be best done before you move but I have no experience with that. We already had a UK HSBC account before we moved back and got a credit card with them as soon as we returned.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Default re: Big thank you

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I think you should do as much as you can from the USA such as moving your IRA from Wells Fargo because if after 3 years Wells Fargo say they won’t accept an overseas address then you won’t be able to open a Vanguard IRA to roll it into. (Vanguard accepts overseas addresses no problem, but you can’t open an account if you are not US resident).

Ditto with HSBC if not too inconvenient. Our son had a US HSBC account but lived in Houston and didn’t want to travel thousands of miles to appear in person to open a UK HSBC account. Instead he waited until he was here and it was a bit of a hassle doing it.

i would think sorting out your existing Amex card would be best done before you move but I have no experience with that. We already had a UK HSBC account before we moved back and got a credit card with them as soon as we returned.
durham_lad thank you.

Just to clarify is it best to open an international account with HSBC ? We opened a USA premier account 6 months ago with them.
thanks
Old Dec 29th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big thank you

Originally Posted by Sammy2018

durham_lad thank you.

Just to clarify is it best to open an international account with HSBC ? We opened a USA premier account 6 months ago with them.
thanks
We didn’t find it necessary to open an international account, neither did our son, but that is certainly an option. You can open an HSBC UK account while still in the USA and link them together. You will retain Premier status if you either have $100k in the USA or £50k in the UK. With our son the nearest HSBC Branch was thousands of miles away for him to appear at and do an id check and papers signing, so he waited until he was back in England before opening his UK account, however that took a couple of weeks to do, which for him wasn’t a problem as he was staying with us while looking to buy his own house.

I have a friend who just moved back to France from Alabama and he opened an HSBC US account then an account in France. He said made a short vacation type trip to New York to sign the final papers for his HSBC France account.

We had kept our UK HSBC account so it wasn’t a problem.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad

We didn’t find it necessary to open an international account, neither did our son, but that is certainly an option. You can open an HSBC UK account while still in the USA and link them together. You will retain Premier status if you either have $100k in the USA or £50k in the UK. With our son the nearest HSBC Branch was thousands of miles away for him to appear at and do an id check and papers signing, so he waited until he was back in England before opening his UK account, however that took a couple of weeks to do, which for him wasn’t a problem as he was staying with us while looking to buy his own house.

I have a friend who just moved back to France from Alabama and he opened an HSBC US account then an account in France. He said made a short vacation type trip to New York to sign the final papers for his HSBC France account.

We had kept our UK HSBC account so it wasn’t a problem.
Like your son we are an 8 hour drive from the closest bank in Miami.
I think we will wait until we get to England.

With Vanguard did you just call them to roll over the IRA from the bank and do they distributions directly in to a UK bank account or only to a USA account.
We would like to close our Wells Fargo account all together if possible and we have no family here.

Many Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2018, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Like your son we are an 8 hour drive from the closest bank in Miami.
I think we will wait until we get to England.

With Vanguard did you just call them to roll over the IRA from the bank and do they distributions directly in to a UK bank account or only to a USA account.
We would like to close our Wells Fargo account all together if possible and we have no family here.

Many Thanks
When we did the rollover of my wife's IRA from Fidelity to Vanguard we did it entirely online, and tracked the progress of the transfer online. I did call them initially and they told me how to do it. However I expect it will very much depend on the financial institution that you will be rolling the IRA from. I would first give Vanguard a call and explain what type of IRA and where you want to roll it from.

I don't know if Vanguard will support distributions to an overseas bank. I have 2 US private pensions that won't pay into a foreign bank so I kept our US HSBC bank open anyway, so I do our Vanguard distributions into our US HSBC bank. Our US bank has very little money in it from month to month but we still have Premier status due to the balance in our UK account. This year we needed to renew our US passports and it has to be done through the UK Embassy who don't take credit cards. It either has to be done in person or with a cashier's check (Bank draft) drawn on a US bank and made out to the US Embassy. Our US bank shipped the checks within a day or 2 and at no charge at all.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 11:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Amex Global Transfer should be done once you have a moving date.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Amex Global Transfer should be done once you have a moving date.
Thank you
Old Dec 30th 2018, 5:56 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

durham_lad thank you.

thanks
We opened our UK account with HSBC from Canada via our Canadian Premier account. Hassle free and still using the same UK account years later. Long term I plan to keep both accounts open as pension funds will paid in Cdn dollars and can than be exchanged at the best time for us.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lf1

We opened our UK account with HSBC from Canada via our Canadian Premier account. Hassle free and still using the same UK account years later. Long term I plan to keep both accounts open as pension funds will paid in Cdn dollars and can than be exchanged at the best time for us.
Thank you for the feedback..
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I am a nurse and was a nurse in the UK prior to moving to the US however re registering in the UK has been challenging as I need to know an RN who is active on the UK registry to be reinstated
I am registered on Part 1 of the NMC register if I can help?
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I am registered on Part 1 of the NMC register if I can help?
Thats very kind of you however I think the requirement is that we have to have known each other a while and my understanding is they would call you and validate this.

My first challenge was to change my name on my RN license as I have married since I left there 30+ years ago. I uploaded my marriage certificate however again I have to know some one active on the registry.
I did go through the whole app process however when they sent docs for me to get completed it had my prior name on them. This then meant I could not get the docs completed as the name on my FL license is my married name and people at work only know me by my married name.

i have decided to abandon trying to renew .. sad really I understand they have shortage of nurses. I trained as a nurse in the UK became an SRN and have worked as nurse ever since > 30 years (mainly in the USA)

Thanks again for asking if you could help ... greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Thats very kind of you however I think the requirement is that we have to have known each other a while and my understanding is they would call you and validate this.

My first challenge was to change my name on my RN license as I have married since I left there 30+ years ago. I uploaded my marriage certificate however again I have to know some one active on the registry.
I did go through the whole app process however when they sent docs for me to get completed it had my prior name on them. This then meant I could not get the docs completed as the name on my FL license is my married name and people at work only know me by my married name.

i have decided to abandon trying to renew .. sad really I understand they have shortage of nurses. I trained as a nurse in the UK became an SRN and have worked as nurse ever since > 30 years (mainly in the USA)

Thanks again for asking if you could help ... greatly appreciated.
No problem. I have kept my registration current for 30 years-paying that wretched fee every year and then most recently having to "revalidate" for the first time. What a debacle that was and I nearly gave up. I had to scramble to find a nurse in the UK who was willing to have reflective practice discussions- which I finally did with a nurse who I didn't know using Skype. I was audited for the first time ever, and that nurse was contacted, as was my employer and the board of nursing! The entire process took a month and by the end, I could care less if they renewed my registration, they did. But still. Like you I have been here since 1987. You are right, there is a nursing shortage, but there is also a shortage of experienced nurses. Did you think about a return to practice course? Please feel free to let me know if I can do anything!
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
No problem. I have kept my registration current for 30 years-paying that wretched fee every year and then most recently having to "revalidate" for the first time. What a debacle that was and I nearly gave up. I had to scramble to find a nurse in the UK who was willing to have reflective practice discussions- which I finally did with a nurse who I didn't know using Skype. I was audited for the first time ever, and that nurse was contacted, as was my employer and the board of nursing! The entire process took a month and by the end, I could care less if they renewed my registration, they did. But still. Like you I have been here since 1987. You are right, there is a nursing shortage, but there is also a shortage of experienced nurses. Did you think about a return to practice course? Please feel free to let me know if I can do anything!
Thanks so much..funny I moved to the USA in 87 also. I went to California first then left the USA for about 2 years in 1992 lived in Spain for a year then traveled for 6 months then landed back in Florida.. been here ever since.. of course went home to England to see family for a vacation.

I resigned from my RN Job here in Florida in mid Nov 2018 ..to much going on spousal visa, sell home find a place to live until spousal visa approved ship dog to England.
Once spousal visa is approved we hopefully can just up and leave .. after getting flight booked of course.

I can always reassess when I get back to the UK.

are you back in the UK now ?

Thanks again

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much..funny I moved to the USA in 87 also.
'87 was obviously a good year, as that was also when we moved to the USA (to Houston initially)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.