British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Bicycle Back To Uk Via Flight? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/bicycle-back-uk-via-flight-379027/)

babyblue Jun 12th 2006 8:43 pm

Bicycle Back To Uk Via Flight?

My son really wants to transport his bicycle back to england. does any one know anything about this?
He says you can take it on the flight in a special box! Can anyone shed some light on this? I know it has to be taken to peices but is it worth the cost etc?

Any advice for a frustrated mother of a teenager! :eek:

dunroving Jun 12th 2006 9:03 pm

Re: Bicycle Back To Uk Via Flight?

Originally Posted by babyblue
My son really wants to transport his bicycle back to england. does any one know anything about this?
He says you can take it on the flight in a special box! Can anyone shed some light on this? I know it has to be taken to peices but is it worth the cost etc?

It is possible, but I'd advise you to get it boxed at your local bike store so it's done properly (may cost $20 or so).

Also, bikes are usually checked in as a "special item" (can't just count as a piece of luggage) and I'd guesstimate it may cost $100-$200 or more.

If it's cheaper to do this than buy a new bike, I'd say "Why not" especially if he's fond of it. But if it's a piece of junk bike it may not be worth it.

mand8002 Jun 12th 2006 9:13 pm

My husband has brought my daughters bike to Australia from UK on the flight. He just wrapped it in that really strong brown paper after putting some cardboard round the bits that might stick out and tear the paper. He just checked it in with his luggage and as it came within the allowance did not have to pay any extra for it.

proo Jun 12th 2006 9:15 pm

Some airlines let you take it with you free of charge (normally the very big airlines). You should call and ask. The pedals and handle bars need to be removed so it can be flat-packed with the rest of the body. You should go to a cycle shop to get the box.

NoreenC Jun 16th 2006 11:11 am

My husband brought his bike back from Canada recently on a flight with Zoom. They didn't charge him anything. He'd had it packaged in Canada ready to bring back for a couple of years - finally got here. We did the last leg by train - again at no charge. Now he has to ride it!:-)

Ms Mango Jun 16th 2006 9:20 pm

I bought my bike back to the UK from USA two months ago. I got it boxed up at a bike shop for $30 and Virgin let me check it in as one piece of my baggage allowance.

Flying Tiger Jun 17th 2006 1:30 pm

Most airlines will allow you to take a cycle on board as long as it is
1. prebooked with the airline
2. handlebars rotated 90' in line with the main frame and the pedals must be removed and secured to the frame
3. the whole thing is put into a cycle shroud of cardboard (available through UPS or removal companies.

note that with some airlines there is a $100 fee and some allow you to use the cycle as ONE of your two pieces of luggage ( you can still pay for an additional luggage piece.
you need to look at the carriage information on your chossen airline web site.
good luck

nickos12 Jun 18th 2006 12:02 pm

Hi,
You may be able to send it by post.

I sent a bike back from Ascension Island to UK by royal mail took about two weeks but just packaged with cardboard with pedals removed.

worth finding out

Liz

England Girl Jun 23rd 2006 10:09 am

I flew back to the UK from NZ with singapore and mentioned I had a bike when I had to change my flights. i packed it up myself - with the help of a friend. I wrapped bubble wrap around the pedals and other loose bits.
at the airport they wanted to charge me $500 as my bike box weighed 15kgs and you were only allowed 10kgs (bike weighs 9kgs and is considered quite light but I'd thrown a few other bits in ;) ).
Had a lovely check in guy who managed to get it on the plane for nothing!
Arrived in great condition but had to put it together myself!

If the bike is old and you're considering an upgrade I'd wait till you get home but it was really no extra hassle (just had to ask my mum to borrow the work van to pick me up).

alison

babyblue Jun 27th 2006 10:25 pm

I just thought i would let you guys know that my son got his bike home for nothing.
I was stunned!

I booked a flight through Canadian affair and he flew with thomas cook airlines. We boxed the bike up with a box from a local store. We took it to the airport and they said that there is no charge this end but there may be when it gets to London. When he arrived in london they said that there is no charge as Thomas cook is a british company.
HOW ABOUT THAT?
something for nothing. We did have to pay for excess baggage though.
some you win some you lose. Great deal on flight and my son said it was a really good flight.