British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Beverley or York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/beverley-york-926924/)

lynchy Aug 3rd 2019 2:01 pm

Beverley or York

I was looking for opinions on either area for a possible move.

We’re a family of 4 where the kids are 20 months and 3 years old. We have a budget roughly around £220k, and would prefer a house to an apartment. We have been to both locations which we liked very much. The only issue I had was the amount of traffic around York. I am from the South east, so I was hoping to find somewhere that wasn’t too busy, but also not quiet.

The other little concern I have is, towns that are close by. I would like to be able to visit different places as my wife is shopping crazy. I don't wish to be too isolated. I know Hull is fairly close by to Beverley but I have never been there.

So generally, a safe area for the kids and good value for money.

Gaz

moi Aug 4th 2019 5:31 pm

Re: Beverley or York

Originally Posted by lynchy (Post 12718375)
I was looking for opinions on either area for a possible move.

We’re a family of 4 where the kids are 20 months and 3 years old. We have a budget roughly around £220k, and would prefer a house to an apartment. We have been to both locations which we liked very much. The only issue I had was the amount of traffic around York. I am from the South east, so I was hoping to find somewhere that wasn’t too busy, but also not quiet.

The other little concern I have is, towns that are close by. I would like to be able to visit different places as my wife is shopping crazy. I don't wish to be too isolated. I know Hull is fairly close by to Beverley but I have never been there.

So generally, a safe area for the kids and good value for money.

Gaz

Hi,
I lived in Hull for 22 years and have visited Beverley and York many times. I see you have 2 children. I think my main concern would be finding out which has the better schools for my children. Beverley is quieter than York. People from all over the world visit York because of its medieval history. Beverley is a very nice market town, but there can be trouble sometimes on the weekend evenings from people on a night out in Beverley. The Beverley Minister is lovely and there is some horse racing, but York Minister is even more spectacular. I think there is more to do in York than Beverley because of all the touristy things. Personally, I would choose York, but real estate is more costly probably more than in Beverley. Tons of people from Hull go shopping in Leeds or Sheffield. I believe Leeds is supposed to be the London of the North. Leeds also has good hospitals. Personally, I would probably pick York over Beverley, but only if the schools were better. Harrogate is supposed to be really nice and have great schools too, but expensive. From Hull to Manchester Airport it is exactly 2 hours, so less from Beverley and even less from York. I must say I am a little jealous if you move back...I have lived in New Jersey, USA and always dreaming of moving back to the York/Harrogate area if I had the money. Maybe I am dream living in the show "Last Tango in Halifax". If you ever watch the show "Poldark", Demelza is originally from Beverley. There are also some quaint villages around Hull..South Cave, Kirkella etc. Good Luck. Where are you located now? One thing for sure in Yorkshire, is that the majority of the people are very friendly wherever you end up and would not hesitate to help you.

Spacecake799 Aug 7th 2019 6:30 pm

Take a look at Knaresborough. It’s in between Harrogate and York, it’s a small market town with great schools. Close to Leeds for great shops aswell.

philat98 Aug 7th 2019 6:51 pm

Your money gets you a better house in Beverley. Parking in York is terrible but I guess that employment prospects and schools are better. Leeds is only an hour from Beverley on the M62 and is a better shopping place than York.

johnwoo Aug 7th 2019 7:21 pm

Personally I prefer Beverley, and York isn't far, about 30miles from Beverley.
I'm from West London and spent most of my National Service near Beverley., where I met my wife. There is a Beverley Facebook Page you might take a look at.
York would be considerably more expensive I think. Like everywhere it's getting more and more crowded.

GC44 Jan 2nd 2020 3:27 pm

Why not look at Stamford Bridge. We lived there for 10 years before our move to Canada in 2011. Great little community with good schools and easily commutable to York (if you know the short cuts). We are planning on a move back there this year fingers crossed.

Twitcher1958 Jan 4th 2020 1:00 pm

My nephew lives and works in York - lovely city but getting around by car, particularly the daily commute, can be awful.
I would agree with the comment above though to put thought into schooling for your children - I’m often amazed by choices people make by not thinking ahead a few years - for example, access to a good school or transportation choices for ‘independent’ children so parent transport isn’t always required.

BristolUK Jan 4th 2020 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by GC44 (Post 12784420)
Why not look at Stamford Bridge.

Certainly convenient for the football. :lol: