Betty Boomerangs Back!!

Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:15 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Betty Boomerangs Back!!

Ok folks well here I am, back in Blighty for a week and life is good!

So far I'm loving being back here. My first day back I was up at 0500 and did something I have not done for 5 years - turned on the radio instead of the telly.......... tuned into Radio 2 and within 20 mins was chuckling along with the presenters and singing along to some fav tunes! No whining voices of Davo/Zappo/Johno and dire music - no! Just good ol British humour to start the day off right!

I walked into town along the seafront and the sun was shining, stopped to look in a shop window and bam, some lovely lady started talking to me -I cannot believe how friendly most people are and I never noticed that before!

Wandered round the shops and was pleasantly surprised to find everything is SO cheap and very good quality - loads of quirky little shops too, so much better than the dire Aussie 'malls'! Everyone I spoke to was so nice and chatty and you could actually have a conversation with them - none of this fake, sing-songy "Hey, how ya going?" crap - marvelous!!!

I spent a 2 days at home them went to Amsterdam and it was fab, so easy to get to. Met up with friends and had a blast, did so much in 2 days it was unreal. Came back, stayed in London at a friends, went to the pub (heaven!) and then spent the Sun afternoon at a birds of prey experience where we got to hold these huge eagles and watch other birds hunting for prey. It was so interesting, the sun was shining and I so enjoyed having a good chat and a laugh with other people in the group!

Got back late Sunday but was up with the larks yesterday morning to ride my bike along the seafront - again glorious sunshine even if it was a bit cold but I soon warmed up! Took a pedal along the seafront cycle path to the old ruined pier, other cyclists nodding and saying hi, stopped to pet a cute pooch I wonder if its just me in honeymoon mode but I just can't believe how nice people are in general here!

So health wise I really do feel better already. Ok maybe its because I'm not doing shift work atm but the palpitations have gone, no more crying every day in the shower, I sleep like a baby, my conjunctivitis has disappeared all by itself and, despite being on the go non stop, I have bags of energy!

I'm off out on Friday with the girls, festival on Sat, concert next week followed by job interview and then off on my 4 week course. I have done more and walked more in the past week than I did in the past 6 months in Australia!!!!

So any negatives? Um well I do tend to find people let their kids run riot here in shops and restaurants which is a tad annoying, train fares are very expensive and I saw lots of beggars on the street in London which I am not really used to seeing but that's about it so far.

Off to look at a car today so I can get it for the right price. Since being home I have found that good ol Wridgways have damaged more of my stuff than I knew so just had to shell out for a new washing machine and repairs to my bike which has put a dent in my savings but I have enough to live on for a few months if I am careful.

I feel happy, relaxed and more energised than I have done in years, I really do think I made the right decision to come home, just little things like meeting my sister for a coffee yesterday in town then helping her choose a dress for an upcoming event I find so enjoyable. My parents are away atm having fun in Europe they'll be home in July just as my course finished - I can't wait to see them!!! I feel like I can be myself again, I fit in and its feels incredible, so far so good, happy to be home at last!

Last edited by MissBetty; Jun 4th 2013 at 8:17 am.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:37 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back!!

Miss Betty,

I am so pleased to hear that things are going well for you and it really does sound as though you are having a brilliant time. You deserve it. I know what you mean about fitting in. I am doing things that I love to do and can't believe how easily I have managed to fit in with others. The banter with my friends, that I have only known for a few months, is brilliant. I have had many panda eye moments from laughing too much.

Keep us posted on your adventures. Sorry to hear that the movers were even worse than you first thought.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, I'm glad you're having a ball ! (Despite Wridgeways damaging your stuff). Kids running riot, yeah, that gets on everyone's nerves. Except their parents of course. You will probably see more beggars in the summer months. Cost of train fares ? You can join in the chorus with everyone else !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 4th 2013 at 9:14 am.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Ok folks well here I am, back in Blighty for a week and life is good!

So far I'm loving being back here. My first day back I was up at 0500 and did something I have not done for 5 years - turned on the radio instead of the telly.......... tuned into Radio 2 and within 20 mins was chuckling along with the presenters and singing along to some fav tunes! No whining voices of Davo/Zappo/Johno and dire music - no! Just good ol British humour to start the day off right!

I walked into town along the seafront and the sun was shining, stopped to look in a shop window and bam, some lovely lady started talking to me -I cannot believe how friendly most people are and I never noticed that before!

Wandered round the shops and was pleasantly surprised to find everything is SO cheap and very good quality - loads of quirky little shops too, so much better than the dire Aussie 'malls'! Everyone I spoke to was so nice and chatty and you could actually have a conversation with them - none of this fake, sing-songy "Hey, how ya going?" crap - marvelous!!!

I spent a 2 days at home them went to Amsterdam and it was fab, so easy to get to. Met up with friends and had a blast, did so much in 2 days it was unreal. Came back, stayed in London at a friends, went to the pub (heaven!) and then spent the Sun afternoon at a birds of prey experience where we got to hold these huge eagles and watch other birds hunting for prey. It was so interesting, the sun was shining and I so enjoyed having a good chat and a laugh with other people in the group!

Got back late Sunday but was up with the larks yesterday morning to ride my bike along the seafront - again glorious sunshine even if it was a bit cold but I soon warmed up! Took a pedal along the seafront cycle path to the old ruined pier, other cyclists nodding and saying hi, stopped to pet a cute pooch I wonder if its just me in honeymoon mode but I just can't believe how nice people are in general here!

So health wise I really do feel better already. Ok maybe its because I'm not doing shift work atm but the palpitations have gone, no more crying every day in the shower, I sleep like a baby, my conjunctivitis has disappeared all by itself and, despite being on the go non stop, I have bags of energy!

I'm off out on Friday with the girls, festival on Sat, concert next week followed by job interview and then off on my 4 week course. I have done more and walked more in the past week than I did in the past 6 months in Australia!!!!

So any negatives? Um well I do tend to find people let their kids run riot here in shops and restaurants which is a tad annoying, train fares are very expensive and I saw lots of beggars on the street in London which I am not really used to seeing but that's about it so far.

Off to look at a car today so I can get it for the right price. Since being home I have found that good ol Wridgways have damaged more of my stuff than I knew so just had to shell out for a new washing machine and repairs to my bike which has put a dent in my savings but I have enough to live on for a few months if I am careful.

I feel happy, relaxed and more energised than I have done in years, I really do think I made the right decision to come home, just little things like meeting my sister for a coffee yesterday in town then helping her choose a dress for an upcoming event I find so enjoyable. My parents are away atm having fun in Europe they'll be home in July just as my course finished - I can't wait to see them!!! I feel like I can be myself again, I fit in and its feels incredible, so far so good, happy to be home at last!
Brilliant, Miss Bet! It's always so good to hear from people who return and everything is as good as they had hoped and more. Keep sending those updates
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

So lovely to get your first update! I'm so glad that its "so far, so good!" Please keep updating so we know how its going.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update.
Good to hear you are feeling better all round since getting back.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great Betty! I love Hastings.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:17 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you one and all for the kind words, as always much appreciated!

Well I got the car - woo hoo! Have bought a bright red Mini Cooper - half the cost of what it would be in Australia as well. I was feeling a bit anxious making such an important purchase on my own but the guy I bought it from has his own Mini business and his Mum lives in........FNQ lol! He has been to Loony Town many times - small world eh?! We had a bit of a chuckle about some Aussie stuff and went for coffee, we were chatting so much after 2 hours he said "Oh sorry, did you actually want the car?!!" We just cracked up laughing! Got it for the price I wanted too so very happy with that Picking her up on Friday, very excited!!!

Just got insured and the company have accepted my Aussie 5 years NCD thank goodness, including full Green Flag cover and extra cover for keys/wrong fuel it came to just over £300.00 and the company? Sheila's Wheels!!! Oh the irony............

Last edited by MissBetty; Jun 4th 2013 at 7:22 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:26 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Just got insured and the company have accepted my Aussie 5 years NCD thank goodness, including full Green Flag cover and extra cover for keys/wrong fuel it came to just over £300.00 and the company? Sheila's Wheels!!! Oh the irony............

I worked with an Australian a few years ago in Britain and she was, 'right up there' with the thought that this insurance company was racist against Aussies, sexist as it was just for women etc. However, this was the same woman who would have me believe that the, 'Playboy' logo doesn't exist as a fashion brand in Australia (like it is in UK and NZ) and people who live and/or talk like, 'Kath and Kim' t.v. show don't exist. (Let's just say I put her hat on straight)

She had an unusual first name and eventually made major inroads into losing weight (the two aren't related). When I heard she had resigned and was returning to Oz I thought, oh, that's what the weight loss campaign was all about. She turned up in UK single, went home single and one day might remember how to smile. (Don't hold your breath)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 4th 2013 at 8:31 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

so glad you are feeling well and enjoying being back. Got a car too, that's brilliant. Thanks for the post. Good to know all is well.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home Betty!
You have certainly got around a lot already.
Hope it's a good Summer for you and that employment works out.
I holidayed in QLD whilst in NZ and really couldn't see the appeal: stinking hot, alligators etc.
Enjoy....people seeming incredibly friendly, does I think have something to do with new arrivals going around with enthusiastic enquiring expressions on their faces...and being willing to engage with others no matter who they are.

I am still finding most transactions friendly and banter-filled a year on so it doesn't have to come to an end if you keep up the open approach iyswim.

Radio 4 has been bliss for me rather than Radio2.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

So happy everything is going well for you... but you're making me sad that my pond hop is still 16 months away! LOL!
The friendliness... yes, the shops are so friendly, and things are quirky. Canada (don't know about AUS) isn't friendly like that. We're friendly enough, I guess... but nothing like what I experienced in the UK.
And the reason you are happy? Because you are choosing to be! No mention of bad weather, bad politics, bad anything - good for you!
May you continue to be happy with your choice. (and I want a mini too!)
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:05 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Bloody brilliant Miss B!
Great update, all good news, keep on smiling and when it wears off then its just back to normal life (but where you want it to be).
Keep updating when you can (having a life is more important though!) and we'll all read with enthusiastic interest, you're famous!
All the best
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

I loved reading all the things you've done since being back, I was exhausted just reading it!

The kids running wild bothers me too, and I'm not sure if it was like that when I lived there but just didn't notice it as much as now that I'm older and grumpy.

Anyway, if you keep up with all the activities you'll be losing tons of weight like Whofan, who from what I can tell is fading away before our very eyes losing 20lbs already despite having eaten her way through most of the pasties sold at Greggs

Please keep up with the postings of how your life is going, if you can find the time that is
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:35 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are having a great time MissB!

Stay positive and enjoy being home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.