Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Better for kids in Australia.

Better for kids in Australia.

Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Better for kids in Australia.

Most of us know that is not the case but do people say it to make themselves feel better about their move ? Obviously a child could be better off in a small country town in Australia than in the centre of London or Manchester but the statement is often bandied about in a general way.
Speaking only for us personally but our kids life where we are living now has improved out of sight. We live in a small village in a very rural part of the country, the pace of life is slow, the people are amazingly friendly and the place itself is wonderful.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better for kids in Australia.

Originally Posted by chris955
Most of us know that is not the case but do people say it to make themselves feel better about their move ? Obviously a child could be better off in a small country town in Australia than in the centre of London or Manchester but the statement is often bandied about in a general way.
Speaking only for us personally but our kids life where we are living now has improved out of sight. We live in a small village in a very rural part of the country, the pace of life is slow, the people are amazingly friendly and the place itself is wonderful.
Hi, I think it also comes down to how you also bring your children up.....when we lived in the UK (1st time around) our boys did lots of sports etc and also visited other parts of the UK and spent holidays also overseas, we did the same in Aus, the country did not make a difference..to us at least but we did hear the "oh its better for kids here in Aus" etc lots of times and in all honestly looking at the children of most of the people who made this comment I honestly use to think why?....I have friends from Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool who have done really well for themselves here and are ALSO very nice people. We are now living happily back "home" our two Sons are doing very well here and for them they certainly enjoy life here, they find there is more to see and do and much more choice and options for what they want out of life at this moment in time. Can a country make a better life for a child? well if your a child from a war torn country or one where there is always lack of food or a real ethnic class culture conflict then yes and if they are in a country that treats them well and has a good understanding of how to "settle" these types of migrants into their new life.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

The single reason I would say life in Australia could be more interesting as a family is weather. It is often too wet/cold/grim in the UK to do much on weekends but obviously this depends on the family's attitude and finances too like the above poster said.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

How you live your life as a family, not the location that matters.

There are a couple of factors such as good school areas, not so safe areas, but not the country I would say.

One of the things I think moving to the US will have taught my kids is, life is what you make it not the location. We are moving back in 2 years. So if my kids decide to live down the street from me in the UK and never leave, they will do so not thinking life is greener elsewhere. If they choose to emigrate they will do so with the full facts that they need to work at it and the new country won't make their life better, only they can.

My kids do lots of things in the US that they were unable to do easily in the UK, (like ski 45 mins from house, go swimming outside everyday) so talking about it and showing people the pictures make out life here for the kids look amazing. But there are lots of things we could do at home but not here. My DS did cricket, football, tag rugby and table tennis free at school, not offered here free, can't affort it here. We had amazing history which my DS loves, not available in the US. Easy access to European, again not a option here or AZ.

Remember us British are obsessed with the weather, show most UK people some sunshire and they think it makes life all rosy and happy, my pics look like that. But as alot of us know 114 F is not at all rosy and happy

Also I do think in the UK, we have a culture telling people that elsewhere is always better than home. I remember and still hear people saying 'they've never left so and so, not even on holiday' or the alternative, 'they have moved to so and so, they have done so well for themselves'.

So no I don't think its the country that gives kids a better life I think its how you live as a family.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:33 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived for around 12 years on and off in the UK before this permanent move I really can't agree with your statement that it is OFTEN too wet/cold/grim to do much.

Originally Posted by Supernoodles
The single reason I would say life in Australia could be more interesting as a family is weather. It is often too wet/cold/grim in the UK to do much on weekends but obviously this depends on the family's attitude and finances too like the above poster said.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived for around 12 years on and off in the UK before this permanent move I really can't agree with your statement that it is OFTEN too wet/cold/grim to do much.
Yes I agree, my husband and DS love mountain biking, try doing that in 114F or camping or actually anything outside except swim. You can always rap up against the cold and the rain, but theres not much you can do when it boiling hot.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:21 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I think determining whether Australia is better for kids really does depend on where in the UK you are talking about (and what your family values are.)

Personally, I would rather raise kids in the country in the UK than in the bush in Australia.

Also, I would prefer to see kids splashing around in the rain in Wellington boots rather than having to smear sunburn cream all over before they venture into a pool or risk skin cancer. But hey, that's just me...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I think determining whether Australia is better for kids really does depend on where in the UK you are talking about (and what your family values are.)

Personally, I would rather raise kids in the country in the UK than in the bush in Australia.

Also, I would prefer to see kids splashing around in the rain in Wellington boots rather than having to smear sunburn cream all over before they venture into a pool or risk skin cancer. But hey, that's just me...
Sounds good to me, a small UK village does just as well and they would have better access to extended family. It's good for kids to be raised knowing family more than it is for them to be raised where the sun shines and have no access to family.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

Well having grew up in the UK for 24+ odd years, that is my experience of the UK. The weather is often wet, cold or grim (maybe not at the same time!) especially if you compare it to Australia, I don't know how anyone could dispute that.
Obviously, a family's attitude towards weather is the key here, not the weather itself, I'm sure there are families in both countries that go out and enjoy themselves come rain or shine as well as those who hide away indoors from the rain/sun.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well having grew up in the UK for 24+ odd years, that is my experience of the UK. The weather is often wet, cold or grim (maybe not at the same time!) especially if you compare it to Australia, I don't know how anyone could dispute that.
Obviously, a family's attitude towards weather is the key here, not the weather itself, I'm sure there are families in both countries that go out and enjoy themselves come rain or shine as well as those who hide away indoors from the rain/sun.
I too grew up in UK and it never stopped us going anywhere or doing anything. We wrapped up and went for it, rain or shine we were riding horses across the hills year round.
We are one of those families who tend to now hide from the heat, the sun we have no problems with but once it gets past about 32 it is too uncomfortable to do much no matter how naked you are. In UK we did fine even with temps hovering around freezing, so long as we were dressed right.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Confused1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
How you live your life as a family, not the location that matters.
[QUOTE=It's good for kids to be raised knowing family more than it is for them to be raised where the sun shines and have no access to family. [/QUOTE]

NOt sure you can globalize, it really depends on your family, and if you really want your kids influenced by them. If your family is extremely negative, pessimistic, and tend to put your kids down, or make your kids feel bad about the choices they have made, I am sure you'd prefer to raise them away from such influences, so that they know it is okay to try, even if you fail, for example.

I think it may also depends on what passions/gifts your kids have - for those that may have access to certain activities that may not be available or which you may not be able to afford in the UK. As adults we find that if we follow our passions, life is more enjoyable, particularly if you can make your passion into your job - so why move a child away from that?

In short - each family has their own criteria of what "better" means, and sometimes what is "better" for one may be worse for another.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Confused1
NOt sure you can globalize, it really depends on your family, and if you really want your kids influenced by them. If your family is extremely negative, pessimistic, and tend to put your kids down, or make your kids feel bad about the choices they have made, I am sure you'd prefer to raise them away from such influences, so that they know it is okay to try, even if you fail, for example.

I think it may also depends on what passions/gifts your kids have - for those that may have access to certain activities that may not be available or which you may not be able to afford in the UK. As adults we find that if we follow our passions, life is more enjoyable, particularly if you can make your passion into your job - so why move a child away from that?

In short - each family has their own criteria of what "better" means, and sometimes what is "better" for one may be worse for another.
True it depends on your family, but it's pretty rare that the whole family including extended and both sides are toxic, at that point I'd be skeptical and think it's the adults moving who have "issues". The type who think everyone else I meet is wrong and I'm the only sane/right person. Then maybe the family left behind are the lucky ones, finally rid of the nut cases.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:31 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

The same thing is thrown around about Canada too..much better for kids..better opportunities etc and the number of people who cite this as the one of the main reason for emigrating is very high. But kids here are just sooo boring they all look the same they all same the same things and do the same things..at least kids in the UK have got some get up and go and seem to be much more ambitious.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brissybee

No. It's not just you, the only time we liked the weather in Brisbane was in the winter, the rest of the year, we hated it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

The weather does not make life interesting as a family....it works all ways...ie its too hot/cold/wet/snowy/humid etc...it threw it down yesterday here in Derbyshire but we all still went out as a family it was indoors...had a really fun day....and today its dry and we have been outdoors.....you can moan and blame about the weather anywhere in the world and you can let it stop you if you want...we choose not to let it....and thats having lived in hot,cold,wet and humid countries, there all much of a muchness in lots of ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.