Better the devil you know

Old May 13th 2004, 9:02 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default Better the devil you know

Whether you leave for good or return home to good old blighty, there seems to be 2 distinct lines of thinking, and not much in between.

Firstly, there's so many right now who've come back disgruntled, dissatisfied, glad they made the move, but self satisfied they've returned to what they know. I'm guessing they're the type that missed mum living up the road, walkers crisps, Eastenders, and the Daily Mail. And actually like living with a comfortable and usually harmless slightly negative outlook, even though they don't consider themselves such. And they're overtly concerned about house prices, you know the type.

But secondly, there's many more you won't hear from on this board, who take life as an adventure, are open to new ideas, don't carry too many expectations, aspirations and emotional baggage, and just get on with it. They, like us, appreciate the change in itself - a different air, clear skies, a genuine marked improvement on their actual environment, never mind the every day considerations.

Who knows how long we'll stick it. Who does. Half the reason for emigrating is to find yourself - and we all realise it was within us all along. So if you're Costa fodder or a deep down explorer, go find what's out there. Before you go, decide who you are, and what you hope to achieve - live the world, or stay comfortable, and better the devil you know.

Old May 13th 2004, 9:31 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better the devil you know

Originally posted by nixstuff
Whether you leave for good or return home to good old blighty, there seems to be 2 distinct lines of thinking, and not much in between.

Firstly, there's so many right now who've come back disgruntled, dissatisfied, glad they made the move, but self satisfied they've returned to what they know. I'm guessing they're the type that missed mum living up the road, walkers crisps, Eastenders, and the Daily Mail. And actually like living with a comfortable and usually harmless slightly negative outlook, even though they don't consider themselves such. And they're overtly concerned about house prices, you know the type.

But secondly, there's many more you won't hear from on this board, who take life as an adventure, are open to new ideas, don't carry too many expectations, aspirations and emotional baggage, and just get on with it. They, like us, appreciate the change in itself - a different air, clear skies, a genuine marked improvement on their actual environment, never mind the every day considerations.

Who knows how long we'll stick it. Who does. Half the reason for emigrating is to find yourself - and we all realise it was within us all along. So if you're Costa fodder or a deep down explorer, go find what's out there. Before you go, decide who you are, and what you hope to achieve - live the world, or stay comfortable, and better the devil you know.

oh my god what the bloody hell do you know....no sorry don't believe your utter crap !! go back and read what people have said about being here and the reasons for going home...my reason for emigrating has nothing to do with finding myself thanks very much perhaps you are just referring to your own circumstances but what you have written offends.....harmless slightly negative my arse...!!!ohh yes must get home for Enders..who the hell are you !!!how very little you don't KNOW !!!Guess on !!!

Last edited by Pants; May 13th 2004 at 9:41 am.
Old May 13th 2004, 9:55 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Thank you Doc

jib
Old May 13th 2004, 10:17 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pants
oh my god what the bloody hell do you know....no sorry don't believe your utter crap !! go back and read what people have said about being here and the reasons for going home...my reason for emigrating has nothing to do with finding myself thanks very much perhaps you are just referring to your own circumstances but what you have written offends.....harmless slightly negative my arse...!!!ohh yes must get home for Enders..who the hell are you !!!how very little you don't KNOW !!!Guess on !!!

Quite right. Can't remember the last time I read such a rambling piece of pseudo intellectual self satisfied drivel! Still, got to laugh!
Old May 13th 2004, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Do you know this type too. Found OZ very very boring, inward and narrow minded. Expensive, isolated and quite backward. Hated the politics, ignorance and piece of paper to fart mentality, litigation minded class ridden society with racist overtones, shall I go on............

Moved back to UK because I'd like bigger fish to fry, I took everything in OZ to its limit and beyond and it still bored me, I like a challenge and being "laid back" is just another way of saying its too bloody hot to be motivated for half the year.

My life in the UK cant possibly be the same as the one I had when I left, impossible I've changed, its changed, fact.

You may feel better for making out those who go back never got over walkers chips, but quite often its the exact opposite type who go back. Those who want more out of life.
Old May 13th 2004, 10:26 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman
Quite right. Can't remember the last time I read such a rambling piece of pseudo intellectual self satisfied drivel! Still, got to laugh!

Hi Herman...

still he stirred up the forum a bit !!!LOL....
Old May 13th 2004, 10:36 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

OMG you have sussed me out, I'll admit it it was the Walkers Crisps couldn't cope without them. Sorry mate, but I for one would not have moved my family all the way to Oz and back again for such trivial reasons, cost us in all with living there on crap wages etc about £25,000 not something you do on a whim and certainly don't give up easily.

"Who knows how long we will stick it" are you just sticking it out and not being truthfull to yourselves. i think that you will find that those of us who have returned or are planning to are being exactly that, true to ourselves and not just painting a rosy picture on it and grinning and bearing a situation. It takes a lot of guts to return much more than to actually go so please do not trivalise why people are returning by saying it is because they couldn't live without Eastenders, Walkers Crisps, Mum up the road and the Daily Mail.

Also you mention the ones you don't hear from well I can assure you they are out there, only I usually speak to them on the phone, they won't post on here anymore because they don't want to loose face by admitting that they wish they had never migrated in the first place. I know who is the happier, me who took the bull by the horns and made one of the toughest decisions in my life to return.

Susan
Old May 13th 2004, 11:27 am
Live the moment

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
OMG you have sussed me out, I'll admit it it was the Walkers Crisps couldn't cope without them. Sorry mate, but I for one would not have moved my family all the way to Oz and back again for such trivial reasons, cost us in all with living there on crap wages etc about ?25,000 not something you do on a whim and certainly don't give up easily.

"Who knows how long we will stick it" are you just sticking it out and not being truthfull to yourselves. i think that you will find that those of us who have returned or are planning to are being exactly that, true to ourselves and not just painting a rosy picture on it and grinning and bearing a situation. It takes a lot of guts to return much more than to actually go so please do not trivalise why people are returning by saying it is because they couldn't live without Eastenders, Walkers Crisps, Mum up the road and the Daily Mail.

Also you mention the ones you don't hear from well I can assure you they are out there, only I usually speak to them on the phone, they won't post on here anymore because they don't want to loose face by admitting that they wish they had never migrated in the first place. I know who is the happier, me who took the bull by the horns and made one of the toughest decisions in my life to return.

Susan
go girl......yahooooooooooooooooooooooo....no he's on a bike tour for 4 months...whopppeeee doo...real life eh!!!NOT !!
Old May 13th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

...your ears, I suggest! Such pseudo-intellectual tosh.

Do not despair. For those having problems getting an Oz visa or pine for those halcyon days in Oz, here's how to recreate Oz in UK:

- banish all asylum seekers to Isle of Man

- banish all black people to Isle of Wight

- contact Sky to ensure TV only receives sports programmes 24x7

- sit under UV lamp without any goggles, to obtain genuine 'burning retina' effect

- break-into local zoo and steal most venomous snakes/spiders. Sprinkle liberally in house and garden

- remove bricks from house and replace with stiffened cardboard

- if you want to create Tasmania, marry your sister/brother (preferably both)

- only read the Daily Mail/Sun/Express for maximum 'narrow-mindedness' effect

- to recreate the Australian government, switch between Teletubbies and wrestling on another TV

- to recreate the effect of a coldie, kiss the ice-making compartment of your fridge/freezer

- call your closest friends and end all sentences with either 'mate', 'but' or 'youse'

- if an intellectual thought crosses your mind just repeat the letters A F L

- when out driving, hone your Aussie driving skills by reversing randomly (preferably killing somebody, to keep the good ol' statistics up)

- when in a nightclub, and a female (eg human being, sheep etc) is nearby, don't forget to employ that world-renowned Aussie charm with questions like "D'ya wanna root?!"

Time to crack a coldie....
Old May 13th 2004, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Do you know this type too. Found OZ very very boring, inward and narrow minded. Expensive, isolated and quite backward. Hated the politics, ignorance and piece of paper to fart mentality, litigation minded class ridden society with racist overtones, shall I go on............

Seems you've just got the UK spot on!! Do you not read the News papers/watch TV etc etc in the UK?. You can't as much fart near someone nowadays without being sued for compensashun by some lowlife getting legal aid!!

Wake up and realise that theres good and bad about every country, the UK isn't all singing birds, walking amongst the likkle lambs in the pastures!! The same as Oz isn't all beaches, BBQs etc etc.
Old May 13th 2004, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MikeStanton
...your ears, I suggest! Such pseudo-intellectual tosh.

Do not despair. For those having problems getting an Oz visa or pine for those halcyon days in Oz, here's how to recreate Oz in UK:

- banish all asylum seekers to Isle of Man

- banish all black people to Isle of Wight

- contact Sky to ensure TV only receives sports programmes 24x7

- sit under UV lamp without any goggles, to obtain genuine 'burning retina' effect

- break-into local zoo and steal most venomous snakes/spiders. Sprinkle liberally in house and garden

- remove bricks from house and replace with stiffened cardboard

- if you want to create Tasmania, marry your sister/brother (preferably both)

- only read the Daily Mail/Sun/Express for maximum 'narrow-mindedness' effect

- to recreate the Australian government, switch between Teletubbies and wrestling on another TV

- to recreate the effect of a coldie, kiss the ice-making compartment of your fridge/freezer

- call your closest friends and end all sentences with either 'mate', 'but' or 'youse'

- if an intellectual thought crosses your mind just repeat the letters A F L

- when out driving, hone your Aussie driving skills by reversing randomly (preferably killing somebody, to keep the good ol' statistics up)

- when in a nightclub, and a female (eg human being, sheep etc) is nearby, don't forget to employ that world-renowned Aussie charm with questions like "D'ya wanna root?!"

Time to crack a coldie....
Nice to see you chastising someone for being a pseudo-intellectual tosh spreader
Attached Images  
Old May 13th 2004, 5:19 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

deleted
Old May 14th 2004, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

friends is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pants
well said paula
Old May 14th 2004, 12:31 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default Logged on this morning..

Woo! That was fun wasn't it? Doesn't take much to stir up emotion on here, guess it worked.

Pseudo intellectual? I'm flattered. Rambling tosh - excellent!

Chill friggin out, it might never happen.

Now, time for another fresh juice...
Old May 14th 2004, 12:49 am
Live the moment

Default Re: Logged on this morning..

Woo! That was fun wasn't it? Doesn't take much to stir up emotion on here, guess it worked.

Pseudo intellectual? I'm flattered. Rambling tosh - excellent!

Chill friggin out, it might never happen.

Now, time for another fresh juice...
fun isn't it!!!! enjoy your juice....

well done.....

enjoy the tour !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.