Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Better choice,Buckinghamshire or Greater Manchester area?

Better choice,Buckinghamshire or Greater Manchester area?

Old May 31st 2009, 2:03 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better choice,Buckinghamshire or Greater Manchester area?

Originally Posted by srah
How long ago did you live in the UK and visit Wimbledon/Brighton/Manchester?
Lived there up until 7 years ago but I normally visit a couple a times each year, was in Manchester a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:14 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
My comparisons are based on several years of living in London and on several visits to Manchester. The american comparisons are based on one week in New York and only two days in Chicago. Both London and New York are world defining cities and in my opinion along with Paris are the three most impressive cities in the world for a melting pot of cultures, history and entertainment etc. To live near one of these cities is to have everything on your doorstep. Given the choice I would choose New York just ahead of London followed by Paris, even though I think Paris is the most impressive historically.

I chose Chicago as an example, as its the 2/3 biggest city in the USA much as Manchester is the 2/3 biggest in the UK. I can think of numerous cities in either country that I would sooner live in than these two.

Wimbledon is very nice but forget Brighton beach its pebbly, dirty and largely a disappointment.
Thank you Jules. Have finally gotten off the wall and decided on Bucks. Now all to do is picking the house to rent and departure date. Interesting how the exchange rate is now going up as I near my leave. Can't expect everything to go as planned when visiting other countries.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:19 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Thank you Jules. Have finally gotten off the wall and decided on Bucks. Now all to do is picking the house to rent and departure date. Interesting how the exchange rate is now going up as I near my leave. Can't expect everything to go as planned when visiting other countries.

Wise choice and just as I said...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Bloodsport is an unknown quantity at this point

So you've chosen Buckinghamshire...

Well I live in Chalfont St Peter, which is just about the southernmost tip of the county. We've got the main line train link going from Gerrards Cross to Marylebone which takes about 25 minutes to get to the centre of London.

Whilst glancing through the previous posts, I picked out a few of your interests as tennis, horse riding and walking, so I picked a couple of examples...

My wife goes horse riding at Windsor Great Park (which is fantastic although it's in Berkshire, I think) and we often go walking our dog for a few hours around the great networks of public footpaths in the area around us. There are loads of tennis clubs here too, although trying to get a game during the time Wimbledon is on is going to be difficult. If you want any specifics or more information and ideas, I could try to point you in the right direction.

The other good thing about this area is the easy access up the M40 motorway to Oxford (a good day out) and pretty good links to head west towards Bristol and the Cotswolds. Then there is Henley-on-Thames and Marlow as well as some great pubs and food (if you know where to go).

There are loads of things to do and you would do well to have Chalfont St Peter as your base.

....also, just because we are southern doesn't mean we are all unfriendly. It's only 98.3% that are unfriendly.

Last edited by Bloodsport; Jun 4th 2009 at 8:53 am.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:17 am
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bloodsport
So you've chosen Buckinghamshire...

Well I live in Chalfont St Peter, which is just about the southernmost tip of the county. We've got the main line train link going from Gerrards Cross to Marylebone which takes about 25 minutes to get to the centre of London.

Whilst glancing through the previous posts, I picked out a few of your interests as tennis, horse riding and walking, so I picked a couple of examples...

My wife goes horse riding at Windsor Great Park (which is fantastic although it's in Berkshire, I think) and we often go walking our dog for a few hours around the great networks of public footpaths in the area around us. There are loads of tennis clubs here too, although trying to get a game during the time Wimbledon is on is going to be difficult. If you want any specifics or more information and ideas, I could try to point you in the right direction.

The other good thing about this area is the easy access up the M40 motorway to Oxford (a good day out) and pretty good links to head west towards Bristol and the Cotswolds. Then there is Henley-on-Thames and Marlow as well as some great pubs and food (if you know where to go).

There are loads of things to do and you would do well to have Chalfont St Peter as your base.

....also, just because we are southern doesn't mean we are all unfriendly. It's only 98.3% that are unfriendly.
Thank you for the travel tips they are much appreciated. This is going to be a very fun adventure on so many levels I'm going to try and keep my stay in the UK as relaxed and day by day as possible. Will definitely have a host of things planned prior to my departure but for the most part will decide on events the day before on most outings.

Speaking of Wimbledon, I'm in the process as we speak trying to decide if attending a long day session would be wise. I will not arrive in the UK until the second week of Wimbledon. Can't be helped due to prior commitments. I think if my day session were to get rained out there is a policy of no refunds. Might leave that decision to the side until a few weeks before the tournaments starts just in case I can still buy tickets at a later date or if I can get a read on the weather forecast at least 10 days out.

I've been told that it does rain more often in the UK during the spring/summer months. I'm so excited that I might not even mind the rain.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:30 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the travel tips they are much appreciated. This is going to be a very fun adventure on so many levels I'm going to try and keep my stay in the UK as relaxed and day by day as possible. Will definitely have a host of things planned prior to my departure but for the most part will decide on events the day before on most outings.

Speaking of Wimbledon, I'm in the process as we speak trying to decide if attending a long day session would be wise. I will not arrive in the UK until the second week of Wimbledon. Can't be helped due to prior commitments. I think if my day session were to get rained out there is a policy of no refunds. Might leave that decision to the side until a few weeks before the tournaments starts just in case I can still buy tickets at a later date or if I can get a read on the weather forecast at least 10 days out.

I've been told that it does rain more often in the UK during the spring/summer months. I'm so excited that I might not even mind the rain.

Are you sure you will be able to get tickets at that late stage? They are notoriously hard to get hold of i am told. It is well known that people camp out on the pavements the night before just to get in!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:27 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking at both areas as possible summer stays. Which of the two do you think offers the best combination of eateries,night life,pubs, scenery,sight seeing outings such as historical venues,parks ect ect? I'm in conversation with realtors about possible homes to rent.What is the up side to picking manchester over Buckinghamshire and vice versa?

Thanks very much
Trust me as a former manc - stay away from manchester - there are good areas close by, so may be ok as a base location, otherwise not much going for it.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Are you sure you will be able to get tickets at that late stage? They are notoriously hard to get hold of i am told. It is well known that people camp out on the pavements the night before just to get in!

I'm not sure if a later purchase is possible. Tickets go on sale on june 8th. I might just go for matches played at the new indoor stadium only. Will limit my match choices but it's the safest way to hedge my bet. And speaking of betting I think it's very cool that legal betting is allowed on tennis matches in the UK. Might have to get a fiver down on a few favorites. Why am I smiling so much
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
My comparisons are based on several years of living in London and on several visits to Manchester. The american comparisons are based on one week in New York and only two days in Chicago. Both London and New York are world defining cities and in my opinion along with Paris are the three most impressive cities in the world for a melting pot of cultures, history and entertainment etc. To live near one of these cities is to have everything on your doorstep. Given the choice I would choose New York just ahead of London followed by Paris, even though I think Paris is the most impressive historically.

I chose Chicago as an example, as its the 2/3 biggest city in the USA much as Manchester is the 2/3 biggest in the UK. I can think of numerous cities in either country that I would sooner live in than these two.

Wimbledon is very nice but forget Brighton beach its pebbly, dirty and largely a disappointment.
Jules, would you really rather live in New York than London or Paris? I find that opinion interesting coming from a european. I have heard that New York city is considered a safer & cleaner city than London. In a few weeks I'll get the chance to truly explore all the different districts of London and get a feel for the cultures there. I'm curious, why do you prefer NYC over London and Paris?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:09 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Camping on the pavements is all part of the Wimbledon experience and shouldn´t be missed.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:29 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules, would you really rather live in New York than London or Paris? I find that opinion interesting coming from a european. I have heard that New York city is considered a safer & cleaner city than London. In a few weeks I'll get the chance to truly explore all the different districts of London and get a feel for the cultures there. I'm curious, why do you prefer NYC over London and Paris?
Firstly I think London is safer than NY and yes you could describe London as a dirty city in many areas. There are few cities dirtier than London probably Buenos Aires is the dirtiest I´ve seen (I am talking about civilized cities here and not the butt ends of the world) London is completely different to most european cities and for that reason its one of my favorites, for example cities in southern europe have similarities such as architectural design, atmosphere and funny smells, whereas cities in northern europe have there own architecture, atmosphere and smells etc Most of eastern europe could be grouped together as well (most are bland thanks to communist city planning) with the exception being jewels like Budapest etc.

Reason I Love NY is because it is so different to europe in many aspects, I love the greater melting pot of different cultures, the uniqueness of the city, the Bronx, Harlem, Queens and all the weirdos that roam the city at night, especially the waco´s in central park I love the feel that this was the city that offered a new world to millions of immigrants and for these reasons its unique to me, its probably my favorite city.