Reload this Page >

Best way to transfer money from house sale to UK bank account

Best way to transfer money from house sale to UK bank account

Old Feb 9th 2019, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Indianabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to transfer money from house sale to UK bank account

Hi

I am moving back to England next month after 10 years in the US... We are selling our US home and will want to move the resulting sum of money into our UK bank account.

What is the best way to do this for a one-off large sum?

I have seen good reviews of Transferwise are there any other suggestions people have used?

Thank you for your help!

Adam
Old Feb 9th 2019, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to transfer money from house sale to UK bank account

We recently (last August) used HiFX to transfer money from our bank account for a house purchase in the UK. The staff we spoke to were professional and knowledgeable and the money reached its target well within their projected timeframe. They also matched a lower rate given to us by Transferwise, which was nice. We've used Transferwise for smaller amounts of money since then, including a sofa purchase.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

We can recommend ofx.com as well. We’ve done large and small transfers via them and have received great service and very competitive rates.

One other thing to mention: for larger transfers we’ve usually been in the “sending” country to organize and sign for the wire transfer of funds to ofx. We’ve found it difficult to do this remotely. Just something to bear in mind.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to send a large amount of money recently to buy a house in the UK.
i was too scared to send it all in one go so I split it into smaller amounts and sent them via Transferwise.
I had no problems and was very happy with the service.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Transferwise +1 for me. I use them fortnightly. Haven't ever sent hundreds (or even tens) of thousands. The highest I've sent was about $5000. I agree with Helen1964 maybe splitting might give you comfort.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with splitting, and keep good records of the source(s) of the funds, because it can ring alarm bells with the FinCen people.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently used Transferwise to send $8500CDN from Canada to Australia. It worked in the same time as smaller amounts I sent to the UK.
I wonder what level of funds would cause them to want proof of source of funds, anyone know?
Old Feb 25th 2019, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
I recently used Transferwise to send $8500CDN from Canada to Australia. It worked in the same time as smaller amounts I sent to the UK.
I wonder what level of funds would cause them to want proof of source of funds, anyone know?
When we were buying a house it was the transfer of money to the lawyers from the bank that was questioned and we had to provide proof of where the funds came from. The bank to bank transfer did not require proof of funds.