Best US Bank to Keep

Old Nov 28th 2022, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best US Bank to Keep

What is the best bank in the USA to keep and use from the UK? It should be one that allows you to do domestic US wires remotely from the UK, and also remotely do international wires.

With my "US Bank" account I can do all that with a digital key, but they have no branches on the East Coast, and I would like one with Boston branches in case the system breaks down and I have to pop over to wire. I am thinking Chase Bank may be the way to go. Or is there a great online bank?

My friend in the UK has a lot of trouble getting his money out of his Capital One account
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best US Bank to Keep

Our daughter moved back to the UK just over 2 weeks ago and has kept her US Chase account and also opened a UK Chase account. The 2FA Chase uses in the USA is their app (no phone text messages) so no issues there and they do support overseas customers
Old Nov 29th 2022, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Durham Lad. I think Chase is shaping up as the way to go. I send around 35 domestic US wires a year, so doing that easily from the UK is my main concern.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter just heard that her house sale in LA has completed and the proceeds will be in her Chase US account shortly. I’ve suggested to her that she call her Chase US bank and ask for a “dealing desk” rate to transfer the money to Chase UK.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I had a US Chase account that I operated from overseas for international transfers, but I didn't have any domestic payments to make. It wasn't an app, I used a laptop and, from memory, could receive a code via email as part of the log-in process.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Our daughter just heard that her house sale in LA has completed and the proceeds will be in her Chase US account shortly. I’ve suggested to her that she call her Chase US bank and ask for a “dealing desk” rate to transfer the money to Chase UK.
Why use Chase dealing desk rate for the transfer rather than Wise or a forex company - security, convenience, best rate? I'm sure it's the best option for security and convenience, best rate, not sure. The "best way to transfer funds" question comes up frequently, so your reasons would be interesting.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tdrinker
Why use Chase dealing desk rate for the transfer rather than Wise or a forex company - security, convenience, best rate? I'm sure it's the best option for security and convenience, best rate, not sure. The "best way to transfer funds" question comes up frequently, so your reasons would be interesting.
Security and confidence is the main reason. This will be a transfer in excess of $800k and she has only been a Wise customer for a few months. I did similar when it came to moving our house money in 2016, in our case HSBC to HSBC. Quite happy doing transfers up to $30k with Wise though the one time I did more I hit a daily wire transfer limit from HSBC to Wise and had to do the wires to Wise over a couple of business days, and a weekend intervened.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Slalomdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know if HSBC still allows you to have a US account without a physical US address? Both of my banks, Wells Fargo and Barclays USA wont.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Slalomdude
Do you know if HSBC still allows you to have a US account without a physical US address? Both of my banks, Wells Fargo and Barclays USA wont.
Yes, we have a USA HSBC account with a UK address. Needs to be a Premier Account which we maintain by virtue of keeping £50k in savings/checking in our UK HSBC accounts.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

In anticipation of moving back next year, i sold my house in Fla. while the Market was hot earlier this year. I deposited the cash in Barclays (US) online savings account that pays 3%. I figured it would also be easier as I could open a Barclays UK account when Iam back in UK. Figured transactions would be seamless between the two divisions of same bank. I found out today that i will need to close the US account once I no longer have a physical address in the US. I will have 401k, pension distributions that I wanted to be paid into a US bank from my US employer. Having an account here would also make it easier for trips over here during the Winter. I am dual UK/US citizen.
Anyone know of any banks that allow accounts with an overseas address. My other bank, Wells fargo also do not allow it. Thanks
looking at your thread from the USA forum above you could create a Wise multi currency account which will give you a US bank routing number and account number. I did this in case my US bank dropped me once I was overseas and it works great. You can link it to your 401k and pension providers etc. I have mine linked to Vanguard so I can receive dividends, IRA distributions etc. it works great. It is not a fully fledged bank but works great to move the US money I receive to my UK bank.

Old Dec 13th 2022, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Slalomdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, we have a USA HSBC account with a UK address. Needs to be a Premier Account which we maintain by virtue of keeping £50k in savings/checking in our UK HSBC accounts.
Thanks, I called them yesterday and that is the route we will go.
Old Dec 13th 2022, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I called them yesterday and that is the route we will go.
Excellent, good luck with it all. This is exactly the route we took in 2016 and our son in 2017 so I'm pleased to hear that this option is still available.