Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Dec 8th 2018, 1:12 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Have them join BE.
I mentioned to both of them about the great folks on this website over a few months ago. They have all their legal concerns squared away but I think reading about the various experiences of other expats would be very helpful. There are always several details a person hasn't thought of.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 1:17 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
That was a weird reply as 3AM didn't mention Scotland at all?

I have to agree with him/her as i think the 'scene' in Liverpool and Manchester is amazing. Yet you are within an hour of stunning countryside. Easy enough to travel in to the two cities for any musical events etc. Plus you have the seaside on your doorstep . Doesn't matter what we all say though. It's how conformable this couple will feel when they get there. I hope it all works out fo them
Oh my gosh that was weird. Not sure where I got that from. I may have been multitasking. My apologies!

My friends have narrowed their search, and Manchester is still a potential pick. They really haven't mentioned Liverpool but I have. I think they want to be in central or south UK. Two more weeks and they'll be over there. Happy wife happy life. If my friend's wife is happy so will he be.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Dec 8th 2018 at 1:30 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by A3am
I've recently returned from the US to Liverpool and love it. The deciding factor us was the cost of living and the accessibility to national parks such as the Lakes and Snowdonia and being on the coast while still being in a city with plenty of culture and nightlife. South Liverpool has some great options for affordable family housing close to the city centre and close to parks. The city has plenty of cultural events/museums/theatres/music events etc. and it is a short 40 minute train ride to Manchester which offers even more. It's also easy to get to Ireland and the rest of Europe thanks to low cost airlines and the ferry port. I've lived in the North and South of England including London. If your friends income will not change with regards to their location, you get so much more for your money in the North of England. We can actually get more house for our money here than we could where we were living in the US. I do think it's a personal preference though. I have friends from the South of England who would never entertain the idea of living in Manchester or Liverpool but for me I personally love the atmosphere and the people of the UK's northern cities.
Hi A3am

I've heard so many opinions about the differences between the north vs south regions in the UK. Some people say the folks in the north still retain a more open demeanor which not only makes them more approachable to a stranger but also somewhat friendlier. And on the other hand quite a few say the south has the best opportunities and can be just as friendly in small towns. I know people from London that believe there is only one place in the UK worth calling home. Maybe bias toward bigger cities might be the explanation for their thinking. My friends are going to need time visiting various places to figure out what fits best. My experience in Manchester is why I have a preference there. I think they'll figure it out in short order.

I will admit it does surprise me when I hear people say they could only live in a city that has it all like NYC or London. Both are wonderful cities and I have lived in NYC. But after a while it can get tiresome living in a concrete Jungle that has a pace which is always dialed up to Mach 10.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Lancashire lass but would recommend Burton-on-Trent, Lichfield, Staffordshire moorlands and the Derbyshire dales areas. Stunning countryside, lots to see and do, good transport links and very friendly people. Wish we'd never left!
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For the price of a semi Down South -

https://search.savills.com/property-...bglrsgls170001
Old Dec 10th 2018, 7:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm a Lancashire lass but would recommend Burton-on-Trent, Lichfield, Staffordshire moorlands and the Derbyshire dales areas. Stunning countryside, lots to see and do, good transport links and very friendly people. Wish we'd never left!
I totally agree about the beauty of that area. I wonder if my friends could adapt to being in a different suburbia. Closest city is Birmingham and they haven't mentioned that particular city as a potential pick. I do believe the condensed size of the UK will bring into focus the many places that could work for them. Here in America you can travel 8 hours by car and still be in the same state. How do you think housing prices are? My friends actually lost a little money by selling their home early because they wanted to make everything simple as possible once it's time to move to the UK. Housing prices are still going up in the States in the vast majority of markets.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 8:09 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
... Here in America you can travel 8 hours by car and still be in the same state.
Same in the UK, but it's called the M25.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 8:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scot47
For the price of a semi Down South -

https://search.savills.com/property-...bglrsgls170001
WoW!

It's stunning what you can get for the money in Scotland. I'm amazed more people aren't drawn there by the affordability not to mention the culture and nightlife.
An actual house built of stone and it's insanely reasonably priced. Do you see as many houses made of stone in central and south UK that are affordable?
Btw, I will send the picture of that house to my friends, just as a reminder. That is a seven figure priced home in the states and the house would be only partially built of stone in America. More than likely the front of the structure.

My friends would be bowled over if they could buy a stone house in their desired area. For their budget that might be asking too much.

I am curious if a house made of stone has any different structural insulation quality concerns than a house made of brick in terms of quality of life for the inhabitants? You would think a stone house would be more insulated in winter but might be a bit hotter in summer. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 8:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Same in the UK, but it's called the M25.
Lol.

My friends are going to truly appreciate the minimum travel time that is required from point A to point B in Europe. Glasgow to London takes about 8 hours. Freaking amazing!
Old Dec 11th 2018, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

G;asgpow to London by train is less than 5 hours Leave the gas-guzzler at home !
Old Dec 11th 2018, 6:56 pm
Banned

G;asgpow to London by train is less than 5 hours Leave the gas-guzzler at home !
That train must be moving at a 90 mph speed. Talk about your hair on fire.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Leave Glasgow Central 05.50 arrive London Euston 11/02

other trains are similar
Old Dec 11th 2018, 7:29 pm
Banned

Leave Glasgow Central 05.50 arrive London Euston 11/02

other trains are similar
There are times when using the train is simple and efficient especially when going into a huge city like London. Fewer parking cost and concerns not to mention traffic headaches. But that said I still enjoy driving my truck on a nice long trip. There is something freeing about being on the open road even when doing a shorter trip of less than 500 miles. I'm sure my friends are going to make the most of the close proximity of the UK to the rest of eastern and western Europe. They have done several cross country trips here in the states. 6000 miles traveling distance from Florida to California and back they've done multiple times. And they have driven from north to south in South America. I'm sure traveling through Europe is going to feel like a much easier journey.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 8:12 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
There are times when using the train is simple and efficient especially when going into a huge city like London. Fewer parking cost and concerns not to mention traffic headaches. But that said I still enjoy driving my truck on a nice long trip. There is something freeing about being on the open road even when doing a shorter trip of less than 500 miles. I'm sure my friends are going to make the most of the close proximity of the UK to the rest of eastern and western Europe. They have done several cross country trips here in the states. 6000 miles traveling distance from Florida to California and back they've done multiple times. And they have driven from north to south in South America. I'm sure traveling through Europe is going to feel like a much easier journey.
Now ask what the ticket price is for Glasgow to London...
Old Dec 11th 2018, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Now ask what the ticket price is for Glasgow to London...
using my Trainline app, Glasgow to London return, leaving next Friday early morning, returning Sunday afternoon is £94.05.

ETA
at 400 miles each way you are looking at about £90 in petrol alone, plus tolls, parking etc.

Last edited by durham_lad; Dec 11th 2018 at 8:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.