British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

UkWinds5353 Nov 12th 2019 4:15 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12762426)
As others have said - every city has parts you’d avoid after dark and even every small town has an estate or even just a pub you’d avoid.

youre better off putting your time and effort in talking to your kids and teaching them strategies on de-escalating situations, not rising to provocation and situational awareness/escape strategies. May sound OTT, but a) you are coming from a different country and they may not be up to reading a situation/other people and reacting like a Brit and b) you will obviously have more money than the majority population which may lead them to attract attention - nice clothes, car, phone etc. Plus young men are the most vulnerable to crime, more so than old people. These would be great lifetime skills for them to have, regardless of location.

Yellowroom

You give the type of suggestions that makes a difference, and it's much appreciated. My oldest sons are very mature and can handle themselves in most any situation. All three of my kids are sharp and have a certain amount of street smarts. But when out away from the safety of home anything can happen while visiting night spots that serve alcohol. And as a parent you always try to plan and strategize in order to help avoid potential problems. Comes with the job really. But one thing we will be doing is toning it down a bit to avoid attracting any negative attention.

They are going to stand out to some degree because of clothing like many American youth usually do but we're going to leave the flash back in the States at least until we feel comfortable and grounded. Don't want to give the wrong impressions. A good friend of mine was visiting a country to our south and while out mingling with the locals someone called him a gringo and it was not meant as a joke. Of course I don't think we will experience anything negative in the UK but assimilation is an important part of being accepted into a different culture. Even my wife is going to need a bit of an adjustment period she has been in the States most of her life. The wife every so often likes to go so far to say even the weather is not going to be a problem at all for her, but I remember seeing her wearing a lite jacket over the summer in the UK like the rest of the Americans in her group. :p

But it's going to be an adventure.

spouse of scouse Nov 12th 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12762514)

They are going to stand out to some degree because of clothing like many American youth usually do but we're going to leave the flash back in the States at least until we feel comfortable and grounded. Don't want to give the wrong impressions.

I must admit that I don't understand what you've written. Unless your sons were planning to wear chaps, spurs and a stetson, or a 'USA rocks UK stinks' t-shirt, their clothing would be unlikely to stand out in any UK city (and even then it mightn't!). What do you mean by 'leaving the flash back in the States''? There's a lot of wealth in the UK. I do agree that ostentatious behaviour such as bringing out a stuffed wallet and offering to shout the entire pub drinks might be a bit risky, but that would be equally risky if a Brit, Australian or Indian person did it. Probably more than half of us on BE have moved to a different country with teenagers, all they need to do is exercise normal common sense.

UkWinds5353 Nov 12th 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12762532)
I must admit that I don't understand what you've written. Unless your sons were planning to wear chaps, spurs and a stetson, or a 'USA rocks UK stinks' t-shirt, their clothing would be unlikely to stand out in any UK city (and even then it mightn't!). What do you mean by 'leaving the flash back in the States''? There's a lot of wealth in the UK. I do agree that ostentatious behaviour such as bringing out a stuffed wallet and offering to shout the entire pub drinks might be a bit risky, but that would be equally risky if a Brit, Australian or Indian person did it. Probably more than half of us on BE have moved to a different country with teenagers, all they need to do is exercise normal common sense.

I'm curious, have you noticed that every nationality dresses the exact same way? If that turns out to be our only issue then we'll have no problems.

Btw, I can usually spot Americans in the crowd while we're traveling away from home.

spouse of scouse Nov 12th 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12762581)
I'm curious, have you noticed that every nationality dresses the exact same way? If that turns out to be our only issue then we'll have no problems.

Btw, I can usually spot Americans in the crowd while we're traveling away from home.

There are infinite varieties in the way people dress within one location, even if they're of the same nationality. I don't know what your children would wear that would mark them out as Americans.

UkWinds5353 Nov 12th 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12762587)
There are infinite varieties in the way people dress within one location, even if they're of the same nationality. I don't know what your children would wear that would mark them out as Americans.

Tails like devils....on their well behaved days!!

Pistolpete2 Nov 12th 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12762581)

In Weymouth, they will be the ones who don't have an English rose tattooed somewhere visible - whether male or female.:blink:

As for haircuts and hairstyles........

robin1234 Nov 12th 2019 12:54 pm

I divide my time about 50/50 between England and America, but I’d say 95% of my clothes are American. (Except underwear which is 100% M&S.) I tend to buy my clothes at LL Bean, Tractor Supply, or our local (US) hardware store. I’d like to buy clothes at M&S, but for whatever reason I just don’t see anything I like. However I somehow doubt that English folk are looking at me in my Carhartt barn jacket and baseball cap with my local npr stations logo, and thinking “omg there’s an American!”

spouse of scouse Nov 12th 2019 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12762715)
However I somehow doubt that English folk are looking at me in my Carhartt barn jacket and baseball cap with my local npr stations logo, and thinking “omg there’s an American!”

......or, "omg there's an English bloke who spends 6 months a year in America!" :lol:

christmasoompa Nov 12th 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12762390)
One thing we are a little concern about is picking a area where knife crime is very low and mostly because we have young male kids. As with most young people they like to socialize and go out to various places of interest. I wonder if the media has over blown the current issue regarding aggressive crime in the UK?

And what do you think about these areas in terms of nightlife safety at pubs or clubs? And which are most and least safe?

Liverpool
Manchester
Brighton
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Oxford
Reading
Oxfordshire

If you want somewhere safe, then why not look at somewhere outside a city but within easy reach of one for nightlife? I can only speak for Reading (I have lived in Oxford as well but it was 20+ years ago when a student, so suspect things might have changed!). I live a few miles from Reading so easy reach for nights out, but where I live we don't even lock our doors or cars. I know Reading isn't a city, but if you want safe but with nightlife, then personally I'd look at a short distance away but a rural location. No idea what Reading nightlife is like, given it's a student town it's probably reasonable, but my idea of a good night out is a nice meal, so your sons may feel differently and prefer to be somewhere bigger.

robin1234 Nov 12th 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12762729)
......or, "omg there's an English bloke who spends 6 months a year in America!" :lol:

:p

Mallory Nov 12th 2019 6:34 pm

DH and I went to Highgrove House Gardens this summer. Must have been about 15 to 20 people in our group, mostly couples in their 50s and 60s. Two men had on boater hats, which were very similar. I asked DH if he thought the two couples were together, since the men's hats were so much alike. He said no, don't think so, one couple was German. From what little conversation I heard - the garden guide did most of the talking - I did not hear any American accents (except DH who has a strong southern accent), so if anyone heard him there would be no doubt. But of all the people in the party, all were dressed very much alike for the lovely sunny day. It would be very difficult to point out where people were from. Afternoon tea, and a nice day out. I recommend it.

Adding to that, a lot of people I see in Europe with NY Yankee caps on, are definitely not American, which always amuses me.

UkWinds5353 Nov 13th 2019 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 12762600)
In Weymouth, they will be the ones who don't have an English rose tattooed somewhere visible - whether male or female.:blink:

As for haircuts and hairstyles........

LoL.

I will be looking for that item once over in the UK.

UkWinds5353 Nov 13th 2019 3:11 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12762744)
If you want somewhere safe, then why not look at somewhere outside a city but within easy reach of one for nightlife? I can only speak for Reading (I have lived in Oxford as well but it was 20+ years ago when a student, so suspect things might have changed!). I live a few miles from Reading so easy reach for nights out, but where I live we don't even lock our doors or cars. I know Reading isn't a city, but if you want safe but with nightlife, then personally I'd look at a short distance away but a rural location. No idea what Reading nightlife is like, given it's a student town it's probably reasonable, but my idea of a good night out is a nice meal, so your sons may feel differently and prefer to be somewhere bigger.

I like living in a place where even a unlocked door is not tested. That sounds exactly like the place we currently reside. The burbs. My kids have forgotten to lock the door a time or two and that difference in security over night doesn't change our safety one bit. And our neighbors are amazing and look out for one another. Florida is a state with a lot of safety concerns but whether they effect you comes down to what regions you live. There are some areas of Florida that might require a behind the gates community lifestyle. Other areas you could leave your wallet out in the yard and no one would touch it or have access to it.

My wife was looking at a place called Beaconsfield that she and her sister have discussed, but we'll figure it out after about 6 months in the UK.

UkWinds5353 Nov 13th 2019 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12762979)
DH and I went to Highgrove House Gardens this summer. Must have been about 15 to 20 people in our group, mostly couples in their 50s and 60s. Two men had on boater hats, which were very similar. I asked DH if he thought the two couples were together, since the men's hats were so much alike. He said no, don't think so, one couple was German. From what little conversation I heard - the garden guide did most of the talking - I did not hear any American accents (except DH who has a strong southern accent), so if anyone heard him there would be no doubt. But of all the people in the party, all were dressed very much alike for the lovely sunny day. It would be very difficult to point out where people were from. Afternoon tea, and a nice day out. I recommend it.

Adding to that, a lot of people I see in Europe with NY Yankee caps on, are definitely not American, which always amuses me.

A lot of people might not know this fact but the number one clothing item sold with insignia has the letters or words New York on them. So I agree with you that a person wearing a baseball cap or shirt with indicating insignia could be from any country.

spouse of scouse Nov 13th 2019 3:44 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12763196)
A lot of people might not know this fact but the number one clothing item sold with insignia has the letters or words New York on them. So I agree with you that a person wearing a baseball cap or shirt with indicating insignia could be from any country.

Is it? I would have thought the Nike swoosh or something like that.