British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

christmasoompa Jul 29th 2019 7:54 am

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12715571)
I know....Trust me. But I'm hoping our timing will be excellent and the right property option will be available. I've seen a few period properties that appear to be completely redone. And there is the possibility that we might get permission to add central air conditioning? Not sure about that but if it's a option then we would be willing to throw money at the problem. I honestly don't see my darling wife sitting in a house coping with summer weather but doing so indoors. That would be a deal breaker for our period home search. I guess we'd go to plan B. Something with character and style but newish. But if we go that route then we would definitely attempt to find a home with a indoor pool. We'll see. The things we men do for romance.

I really don't think you're understanding the limitations of a listed property! You may find properties redone - ours is completely renovated as it was derelict when we bought it. We've been able to put new heating in (ground source heat pumps, underfloor heating throughout with individual controls in each room), but there's no way we've have got permission to put air conditioning units in each room. Not sure that Jacobean panelling and air con units are a match made in heaven somehow! :lol: The conservation officer would probably have laughed at us if we'd even suggested it.

If you want a period/listed property, then you need to get in the mindset of essentially being a custodian of a historic home. You can't do what you want to it. You need permission for most things, and if they're not sympathetic to the building or damage the fabric of the building (or 'disrupt the narrative of the building' - that was a favourite of our conservation officer!) then you won't be able to do it. We were lucky as we had a conservation officer that was just happy we were bringing the derelict house back to life and so gave us permission for pretty much everything we wanted to do (only no was solar panels on an extension), but most aren't that lenient.

I also think you're overestimating the summer weather of the UK. Granted, last week was ridiculously hot, but that's incredibly rare (hottest day in the UK ever to give you an idea), most summer days are 24-26 degrees, so perfectly fine without air con, particularly in period properties with thick walls. I'm sure your wife managed just fine in the UK without air con before she moved! It's just not really needed here.

spouse of scouse Jul 29th 2019 8:12 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12716267)

I also think you're overestimating the summer weather of the UK. Granted, last week was ridiculously hot, but that's incredibly rare (hottest day in the UK ever to give you an idea), most summer days are 24-26 degrees, so perfectly fine without air con, particularly in period properties with thick walls. I'm sure your wife managed just fine in the UK without air con before she moved! It's just not really needed here.

:thumbup: I run the air conditioning a lot here in Oz, but in my 3 years in the UK I only ever felt hot-ish inside our house once, I think it was about 33 degrees outside which was very unusual for the Wirral. Our house wasn't listed but was a 100-odd year old Victorian semi and had lovely thick walls. We also added more insulation which helped keep the temperature comfortable.

The double glazing was also great at keeping the house at an even temperature. I really don't know why it's so rare in Perth, which has stinking hot summers and winter nights that can easily go down to 0 celcius. I'm in the process of getting quotes to double glaze our place here, unfortunately it'll mean replacing the one year old windows but we think it'll be worth it.

UkWinds5353 Jul 31st 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12716267)
I really don't think you're understanding the limitations of a listed property! You may find properties redone - ours is completely renovated as it was derelict when we bought it. We've been able to put new heating in (ground source heat pumps, underfloor heating throughout with individual controls in each room), but there's no way we've have got permission to put air conditioning units in each room. Not sure that Jacobean panelling and air con units are a match made in heaven somehow! :lol: The conservation officer would probably have laughed at us if we'd even suggested it.

If you want a period/listed property, then you need to get in the mindset of essentially being a custodian of a historic home. You can't do what you want to it. You need permission for most things, and if they're not sympathetic to the building or damage the fabric of the building (or 'disrupt the narrative of the building' - that was a favourite of our conservation officer!) then you won't be able to do it. We were lucky as we had a conservation officer that was just happy we were bringing the derelict house back to life and so gave us permission for pretty much everything we wanted to do (only no was solar panels on an extension), but most aren't that lenient.

I think we might have two different ideas of what a Air Conditioning unit could be. You can explain your opinion after reading my description. I'm considering a central unit system that pushes cold air and hot air through ducts to every room that is considered a living space including utility areas. In the States that type system can also include the garage. The Unit(s) are usually located outside next to the dwelling. Our residence also have a stationary power generator outside next to the dwelling that provides a secondary power source in case we lose electricity due to blackouts or hurricanes. There are no units in any of the rooms. There are typically 2 or 3 units that are individually dedicated to controlling the room temperatures for different wings of the house. Again, no units are inside the dwelling they sit on a foundation next to the house. If you prefer to have one wing of the house in the low 70s while a different wing houses your children and they prefer the temp to be in the mid 60s, you can have those options. Many decent size homes also including central vacuum systems as well.

When you mentioned units in every room did you have my description in mind or were you actually imagining a unit in most rooms?

christmasoompa Jul 31st 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12717377)
I think we might have two different ideas of what a Air Conditioning unit could be. You can explain your opinion after reading my description. I'm considering a central unit system that pushes cold air and hot air through ducts to every room that is considered a living space including utility areas.

And it's the ducts that may be the problem in a period/listed property. In some of our rooms we weren't even allowed wall mounted plug sockets, we had to have floor sockets, to avoid holes in walls that are hundreds of years old.

The units/generator may well be an issue too.

Many decent size homes also including central vacuum systems as well.

In the UK too - my parents had one in their home, was installed decades ago. But it wasn't listed.

UkWinds5353 Jul 31st 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12716072)
Moving back to one’s homeland can result in reverse reverse culture shock.

We are in Canada for one reason only...our only child is here. Hubby would move home in a heartbeat. Me I’m not so sure. We have been away over 23 years...life has moved on for us as well as friends and family. Several on here have found that once the novelty has worn off, they rarely see friends and family and find themselves at a bit of a loose end.

We bought a house there about 10 years ago but having homes in 3 countries was too much of a hassle. Our parents are now deceased...so little reason to go back. I have one sister...we meet up for a long holiday every New Year...for approx 4 weeks. This year it will be twice...as we are cruising from Southampton to Cape Town in November.

I think your experience of having been gone from your birth country for so long is one a great many expats share. The question is do you truly love living in Canada and do you have a fun set of friends there? If the answer is yes then Canada might be the place and especially if you don't feel a pull to return to the UK.

I'm going to the UK for one reason. It's my wife's home and she want to have her family there with her. And we'll balance it out by having a second place somewhere warmer. I'm treating it like an adventure. :lol:

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2019 7:13 pm

I think we might have two different ideas of what a Air Conditioning unit could be. You can explain your opinion after reading my description. I'm considering a central unit system that pushes cold air and hot air through ducts to every room that is considered a living space including utility areas. In the States that type system can also include the garage. The Unit(s) are usually located outside next to the dwelling. Our residence also have a stationary power generator outside next to the dwelling that provides a secondary power source in case we lose electricity due to blackouts or hurricanes. There are no units in any of the rooms. There are typically 2 or 3 units that are individually dedicated to controlling the room temperatures for different wings of the house. Again, no units are inside the dwelling they sit on a foundation next to the house. If you prefer to have one wing of the house in the low 70s while a different wing houses your children and they prefer the temp to be in the mid 60s, you can have those options. Many decent size homes also including central vacuum systems as well.

When you mentioned units in every room did you have my description in mind or were you actually imagining a unit in most rooms?

Oh my goodness you really don’t understand UK houses at all. Do you not discuss British house with your wife?

UkWinds5353 Jul 31st 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12717384)
And it's the ducts that will be the problem in a period/listed property. Just to give you an idea - in some of our rooms we weren't even allowed wall mounted plug sockets, we had to have floor sockets, to avoid holes in walls that are hundreds of years old.

In the UK too - my parents had one in their home, was installed decades ago. But it wasn't listed.

Ok, now I see the limitations clearer. I guess we will have to weigh the positives versus the negatives and if the balance sheet tilts one way or the other. We definitely want a period home because that would make my wife very happy but we don't want style over substance. The functionality of the property is going to matter. We will see because it's early days still but I think the winters in a period property can work but the summers could turnout to be the deal breaker. And there is the question of how much time as a family we'll spend outside the country in the other property. We have time to think it all through and we actually might rent a period property for one month this December just to confirm our decision. My wife in a house in the dead of summer with out cool spaces is Monty Python worthy.

UkWinds5353 Jul 31st 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12717387)
Oh my goodness you really don’t understand UK houses at all. Do you not discuss British house with your wife?

We do. It's that American mentality of never taking no as the final word. You keep pushing until you make it happen. Works well in life but doesn't work every time.

Christmass explained her point better in the last post.

UkWinds5353 Jul 31st 2019 7:43 pm

Two more days and we are out. Just got back from North Carolina celebrating my brother's life and it was a wonderful service. It was a reminder to live your life to the hilt, because life is short and precious .

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12717397)
Two more days and we are out. Just got back from North Carolina celebrating my brother's life and it was a wonderful service. It was a reminder to live your life to the hilt, because life is short and precious .

I look forward to your daily updates c/w details and pics.

christmasoompa Jul 31st 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12717394)
We do. It's that American mentality of never taking no as the final word. You keep pushing until you make it happen. Works well in life but doesn't work every time.

American pushiness versus a Brit conservation officer..........my money's on the Brit every time. :lol:

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2019 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12717394)

Christmass explained her point better in the last post.

Not only do you not understand UK houses...you don’t understand Brits. :lol:

UkWinds5353 Jul 31st 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12717398)
I look forward to your daily updates c/w details and pics.

I haven't seen my wife this excited about a trip in some time. I doubt if we'll get much sleep and the time is going to fly bye. But we'll make up for it once back home. Probably sleep for a few days straight.

BuckinghamshireBoy Jul 31st 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12717404)
American pushiness versus a Brit conservation officer..........my money's on the Brit every time. :lol:

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12717406)
Not only do you not understand UK houses...you don’t understand Brits. :lol:

Arrr. :lol:

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12717411)
I haven't seen my wife this excited about a trip in some time. I doubt if we'll get much sleep and the time is going to fly bye. But we'll make up for it once back home. Probably sleep for a few days straight.

Don’t forget British Estate Agents are nothing like US Realtors. They always work for the seller and are only interested in selling the house and getting their commission. You have to do all the leg work yourself ie visit the house...and yes the owners will most likely show you around.