Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jul 26th 2019, 12:49 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Hopefully better than today anyway, 39 degrees is my idea of hell. Ugh.

August is often not great in the UK, May/June time tends to be better. But if it chucks it down with rain for the whole time at least you’ll be getting used to it ahead of your move.

Good of luck with it and if you’re anywhere near Wokingham, you’re welcome to pick my brains on the area if I’m not on hols.
My wife's sister mentioned the Florida like weather you guys experienced yesterday. Those type heat waves can feel shocking even to people that are use to hot weather. So I can only imagine how cool climate people may have felt. Hopefully it's a one off and not an example of coming attractions. One thing for sure we will be looking at properties that have central air conditioning or can be updated to include it.
Thank you for the well wishes and along the way of this trip don't be surprised if we take you up on your kind offer. As of now we are including these destinations: (England proper & maybe Scotland), Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Belgium. We want to add France but our time on the ground is going to be limited to mostly property and city settlement viewing and spending some time with family and friends. Doing all that in 30 days in going to be challenging.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
One thing for sure we will be looking at properties that have central air conditioning or can be updated to include it.
Good luck with that in a period property in the UK.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's sister mentioned the Florida like weather you guys experienced yesterday. Those type heat waves can feel shocking even to people that are use to hot weather. So I can only imagine how cool climate people may have felt. Hopefully it's a one off and not an example of coming attractions. One thing for sure we will be looking at properties that have central air conditioning or can be updated to include it.
Thank you for the well wishes and along the way of this trip don't be surprised if we take you up on your kind offer. As of now we are including these destinations: (England proper & maybe Scotland), Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Belgium. We want to add France but our time on the ground is going to be limited to mostly property and city settlement viewing and spending some time with family and friends. Doing all that in 30 days in going to be challenging.
No Florida weather here in Ireland LOL and elsewhere it was more like the Sahara. While some people are complaining that we never get the heatwaves, I was pretty happy with the pleasant 24 degrees. Have friends in Germany and it went above 40c yesterday. If you're in the middle of the country with no sea breeze and already have bad air quality, it's just a nightmare and then the overcrowded public swimming pools. Unfortunately many parts of Europe are seeing more extreme weather and nobody really knows which way it will go.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the same...very optimistic.

Also I would not even think about looking for a house and visiting all those places in 30 days.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 2:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Even her Maj doesn't have air conditioning, I saw a photo of her meeting with Boris (presumably at Buck palace) and there was one of those fancy new Dyson fans next to her chair
Old Jul 26th 2019, 2:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Even her Maj doesn't have air conditioning, I saw a photo of her meeting with Boris (presumably at Buck palace) and there was one of those fancy new Dyson fans next to her chair
Next he will be expecting central heating.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 3:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
No Florida weather here in Ireland LOL and elsewhere it was more like the Sahara. While some people are complaining that we never get the heatwaves, I was pretty happy with the pleasant 24 degrees. Have friends in Germany and it went above 40c yesterday. If you're in the middle of the country with no sea breeze and already have bad air quality, it's just a nightmare and then the overcrowded public swimming pools. Unfortunately many parts of Europe are seeing more extreme weather and nobody really knows which way it will go.
24 degrees I like. The 37 we had yesterday, not so much. I'm far too British, think I spontaneously combust at about 30 degrees.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought the same...very optimistic.

Also I would not even think about looking for a house and visiting all those places in 30 days.
Ditto, far too rushed, won't even get a feel for anywhere IMO.

Central heating all good (ours is even powered by ground source heat pumps and underfloor heating throughout!). Air conditioning in a UK though is incredibly rare, never mind in a period one. Next to no chance I'd say.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:25 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I know....Trust me. But I'm hoping our timing will be excellent and the right property option will be available. I've seen a few period properties that appear to be completely redone. And there is the possibility that we might get permission to add central air conditioning? Not sure about that but if it's a option then we would be willing to throw money at the problem. I honestly don't see my darling wife sitting in a house coping with summer weather but doing so indoors. That would be a deal breaker for our period home search. I guess we'd go to plan B. Something with character and style but newish. But if we go that route then we would definitely attempt to find a home with a indoor pool. We'll see. The things we men do for romance.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:27 am
Banned

Central air conditioning units include heat as well in the States. Will see how that looks in the UK.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jul 27th 2019 at 5:43 am.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We will try not to bring the hot weather with us once in Ireland

40c is a little challenging. I've played tennis in that temperature a few times in Florida and did ok but I made sure to hydrate quite well the night before. I once played a very good player in Miami Beach on a day it was sweltering and the humidity was intense. I started out serving bombs and my opponent was about 10 years younger and we were on clay courts. Won the first set 6-2 and after 40 minutes in that sun I was ready to wave the white flag. Did not hydrate at all the night before and by the second set I felt like I had zero fluids in my body.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Central air conditioning units include heat as well in the States. Will see how that looks in the UK.
Really???? I lived in NJ for almost 20 years and didn’t know that, but thanks for educating me.

In the UK heat is by radiators, using small copper pipes to transfer the hot water. That will not facilitate AC.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 27th 2019 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 3:49 pm
Banned

Really???? I lived in NJ for almost 20 years and didn’t know that, but thanks for educating me.

In the UK heat is by radiators, using small copper pipes to transfer the hot water. That will not facilitate AC.
Point taken. 20 years is a long time in any one place. We will be brand new residents in the UK including my wife to a certain degree because she left the Manchester area as a very young person. Lots to learn and I'm sure it will be a fun experience. It's not every day when a person starts life in a completely new environment once reaching middle age. We look forward to it. There are so many homes on the market and I think we'll get lucky and find the right place.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Point taken. 20 years is a long time in any one place. We will be brand new residents in the UK including my wife to a certain degree because she left the Manchester area as a very young person. Lots to learn and I'm sure it will be a fun experience. It's not every day when a person starts life in a completely new environment once reaching middle age. We look forward to it. There are so many homes on the market and I think we'll get lucky and find the right place.
IMO it’s is harder to adapt in your 40’s/50’s etc. 20’s/30’s I think adapt much better to life in a new country. Also depends how adaptable you are and what type of life you are leaving behind. The plus side is your wife can help you...explain how things work etc. Just my opinion mind...you may take to it like a duck to water.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 2:39 pm
Banned

IMO it’s is harder to adapt in your 40’s/50’s etc. 20’s/30’s I think adapt much better to life in a new country. Also depends how adaptable you are and what type of life you are leaving behind. The plus side is your wife can help you...explain how things work etc. Just my opinion mind...you may take to it like a duck to water.
You are 100% correct about age being more of a factor once you get older. Most people usually become more set in their ways and the idea of major change can require a certain amount of adjustment when you have to learn a new culture and approach to doing just the most basic things. My wife and I are pretty lucky in that regard because we both enjoy learning, and adventure, and that mindset lends it self to seeking out other horizons even at a older age. It's difficult to grow one's self to being better without accepting a positive approach to live in general.

We will take it one day at a time and try to enjoy the ride. My wife and I were talking a few days ago and although she is over the moon about going back home to the UK she said to me that now it's getting closer to happening she wonders if living in the UK will be as good as her hopes. I think a lot of people that consider moving back to where they were raised especially if it's far away probably question the logic of making such a major change and if it will be worth it.

Have you asked yourself whether life in Canada is actually better than moving home to the UK?
Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You are 100% correct about age being more of a factor once you get older. Most people usually become more set in their ways and the idea of major change can require a certain amount of adjustment when you have to learn a new culture and approach to doing just the most basic things. My wife and I are pretty lucky in that regard because we both enjoy learning, and adventure, and that mindset lends it self to seeking out other horizons even at a older age. It's difficult to grow one's self to being better without accepting a positive approach to live in general.

We will take it one day at a time and try to enjoy the ride. My wife and I were talking a few days ago and although she is over the moon about going back home to the UK she said to me that now it's getting closer to happening she wonders if living in the UK will be as good as her hopes. I think a lot of people that consider moving back to where they were raised especially if it's far away probably question the logic of making such a major change and if it will be worth it.

Have you asked yourself whether life in Canada is actually better than moving home to the UK?
Moving back to one’s homeland can result in reverse reverse culture shock.

We are in Canada for one reason only...our only child is here. Hubby would move home in a heartbeat. Me I’m not so sure. We have been away over 23 years...life has moved on for us as well as friends and family. Several on here have found that once the novelty has worn off, they rarely see friends and family and find themselves at a bit of a loose end.

We bought a house there about 10 years ago but having homes in 3 countries was too much of a hassle. Our parents are now deceased...so little reason to go back. I have one sister...we meet up for a long holiday every New Year...for approx 4 weeks. This year it will be twice...as we are cruising from Southampton to Cape Town in November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.