Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I now see the importance of picking the right real estate firm in the UK versus here in America. It's a huge deal especially if they have a reputation for representing certain type of properties.

Strutt and parker is a good source.
But like shopping for used cars, you might find a gem "tucked away near the back of the lot", represented by an estate agent that you might not expect, and thankfully the internet makes it relatively easy to search many estate agent's inventories relatively quickly and easily.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I now see the importance of picking the right real estate firm in the UK versus here in America. It's a huge deal especially if they have a reputation for representing certain type of properties.
Not really. If you're talking about an ordinary estate agent, as opposed to a relocation service, then they're much of a muchness. All you have to do is to make sure they have the necessary professional memberships, this should be clearly stated on their websites.

It's quite common for estate agents in the UK to not show prospective buyers around properties, the home owner does that. You choose the properties you want to view on Right Move/ Zoopla etc, ring the relevant agent, and make a viewing appointment.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 5:27 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the general opinion about living in Essex? Only 30 minutes to London and the homes are pleasant. Are there a lot of various malls and cultural place of interest?

This one caught my eye even had the wife to take a gander. And it has a grass tennis court

http://www.struttandparker.com/properties/bakers-lane-2
Old Jun 18th 2019, 5:43 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But like shopping for used cars, you might find a gem "tucked away near the back of the lot", represented by an estate agent that you might not expect, and thankfully the internet makes it relatively easy to search many estate agent's inventories relatively quickly and easily.
P, you are correct. Not everyone will place their property with a firm that specialize in selling a certain type of dwelling. Sometimes that seller might go with a family friend who may work for a company that is known for selling properties in that area of the county or for other reasons. So yes I agree with you.
In the States this would not be a issue, because all one would need is a very hungry and aggressive agent and that person would access all available inventory at every company and they usually have inside information on pocket listings. America is so customer service friendly in that way. But no problem I don't mind being on the hunt.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 5:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Not really. If you're talking about an ordinary estate agent, as opposed to a relocation service, then they're much of a muchness. All you have to do is to make sure they have the necessary professional memberships, this should be clearly stated on their websites.

It's quite common for estate agents in the UK to not show prospective buyers around properties, the home owner does that. You choose the properties you want to view on Right Move/ Zoopla etc, ring the relevant agent, and make a viewing appointment.

That is interesting. Do most home owners actually show their homes during viewings? And how would they react when hearing critical feedback like some potential buyers might give?

I personally experienced that situation once while property shopping. The real estate agent was pointing out various features in the home and the buyer who was home at the time totally took charge and pushed the agent away. It went from a soft sell approach to the seller trying to force my wife and I to buy the house. We felt like a captive audience. Longest 10 minutes in house shopping history.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:56 am
Banned

This property is in west Sussex looks intriguing and not far from the ocean. I wonder if the UK is some type of secret to the rest of the world because in every county there are multiple listings for sale. You would think foreign investment would snap up many of these opportunities. I'm more than impressed.

http://www.struttandparker.com/properties/the-street-78
Old Jun 18th 2019, 8:47 am
Banned

Have never been to Dorset the distance is quite far but the homes are amazing. This same house 30 minutes from London would be idea.

http://www.struttandparker.com/properties/greenhayes

https://www.struttandparker.com/prop...igh-street-113

Oxfordshire
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This property is in west Sussex looks intriguing and not far from the ocean. I wonder if the UK is some type of secret to the rest of the world because in every county there are multiple listings for sale. You would think foreign investment would snap up many of these opportunities.
Wouldn't give much of a return on investment though, that's why foreign investors tend to focus on London.

That is interesting. Do most home owners actually show their homes during viewings? And how would they react when hearing critical feedback like some potential buyers might give?
In 25 years of buying and selling houses, I've never known an owner show me around (or have shown potential buyers of my houses around), it's always been an estate agent except on one occasion when a buyer asked for us to be there for a second viewing as they had questions the estate agent couldn't answer i.e. what the neighbours were like, etc. All of our viewings are done by our agent.

Now I understand why you thought some of the properties I posted were hideous. They are compared to that lovely Estate you up loaded
I'm just not a fan of houses that are modern but trying to look old. Or of modern houses full stop actually, I'm definitely a period property girl. But there is nothing uglier to me than a mock Georgian/Tudor/whatever house, like the ones in posts 438 and 441. Shudder.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 10:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I personally experienced that situation once while property shopping. The real estate agent was pointing out various features in the home and the buyer who was home at the time totally took charge and pushed the agent away. It went from a soft sell approach to the seller trying to force my wife and I to buy the house. We felt like a captive audience. Longest 10 minutes in house shopping history.
Given Christmasoompa's experiences, who conducts the home viewings may be location dependent. All I know is that I've viewed more than 40 properties in the North West, and for all bar two of those the property owner conducted the viewings, not the estate agent. I also did the viewings myself when we sold our home.

How the home owner conducting the viewing reacts to any feedback will be entirely dependent on people involved. Some welcome it, some get defensive. I never expressed negative thoughts to property owners, I saved that for the estate agent.

Old Jun 18th 2019, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Given Christmasoompa's experiences, who conducts the home viewings may be location dependent. All I know is that I've viewed more than 40 properties in the North West, and for all bar two of those the property owner conducted the viewings, not the estate agent. I also did the viewings myself when we sold our home.
How strange - rather begs the question of what they do to earn their commission!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 11:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How strange - rather begs the question of what they do to earn their commission!
I have had the same experience of SOS, perhaps it’s a NW thing.

The owners of a house I wanted to see were on holiday and the agents didn’t have a key. Maybe had I still lived in the UK I wouldn’t have thought anything of it. It is certainly worlds away from the N American way of selling property.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I'm just not a fan of houses that are modern but trying to look old. Or of modern houses full stop actually, I'm definitely a period property girl. But there is nothing uglier to me than a mock Georgian/Tudor/whatever house, like the ones in posts 438 and 441. Shudder.
You know I have to agree with you. Buying a home that is a newer version copy of an original architecture does lose a lot in the translation and namely the charm and character of the older build. And it doesn't make financial sense considering that Grade listings will be more sought after for resale than a carbon copy. I'm very pleased with your help. Think the Mrs and I are going to favor a Grade Listing property if we're lucky enough to find the right one. She will love that. I think that will make her feel even more at home and my wife deserve everything.

Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:45 pm
Banned

It seem like Dorset has so many homes that are possibilities. Just so far away from London.

https://www.struttandparker.com/prop...lisbury-road-2
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It seem like Dorset has so many homes that are possibilities. Just so far away from London. ....
I thought you were an American?

Bournemouth is only 50 miles from the West End, and large American cities would consider 50 miles from downtown to still be the suburbs!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:55 pm
Banned

How the home owner conducting the viewing reacts to any feedback will be entirely dependent on people involved. Some welcome it, some get defensive. I never expressed negative thoughts to property owners, I saved that for the estate agent.
That probably is exactly how things work depending on location of the region like you said. We will be glad to have found our new home and get everything settled and especially the kids. I kinda feel like I'm going to be the person that is deserving of the sales commission at the end of this process. And I probably will know everything I never wanted to know about hunting for houses but was afraid to ask once it's all said and done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.