Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Nov 15th 2018, 9:17 pm
  #31  
Forum Regular
 
PrairieWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 114
PrairieWriter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by vh3 View Post
Wow, that is amazing finding your own idea of heaven on the second viewing... We are very much looking forward to returning home and know that where ever we decide there is no bad choice.
Yes, even we were surprised! We'd done a lot of advance homework (home reports, scoping out locations, driving distances etc) before we came over, which did help a lot. Nevertheless, we were prepared for a couple of weeks of intense viewing action and several more weeks of decision making!

I agree that anywhere in Scotland is good, really: you're never far from the Kyles, the isles, the Highlands and the beautiful Atlantic ocean, with its diverse sea life and startlingly empty and endless pale, sandy beaches. Also, whisky.
PrairieWriter is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2018, 9:50 pm
  #32  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter View Post
West coast of Scotland, of course!

Okay, I'm biased. That's where we're going when we move back next year.
Scotland is truly beautiful and it would be worth a look imo. The music scene and friendly faces really does make for a inviting place to live. And it doesn't hurt to live in a place where money goes a bit further.

Do you think crime is any worse in Scotland than in Great Britain? I've heard various opinions but I'm not sure.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2018, 9:57 pm
  #33  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter View Post
Edinburgh is gorgeous! Nicest city in Scotland, I think.

We had viewings lined up all around Ayrshire, Dumfries and also out on the peninsulas. Went to the first two viewings out on Kintyre and fell totally in love with everything about the place (the house, the location, the people, the remoteness, the microclimate etc). So we bought the second house we saw and canceled all the other viewings! Job done! We closed in September and my mum is taking care of the place until we get there next year. I'm very much looking forward to it. My husband is an artist (oil paints) and there's just endless inspiration, even in crummy weather. I am a writer, so we're both self employed, which is a definite bonus when you're that far out. Internet is only 5mbps, but should be upgraded to inland speeds by mid 2020 (according to BT). Let the adventures begin!

I hope you find a beautiful home in a perfect location for you! It's a big step, but hey, Scotland is a great country, isn't it.
Very rare to find the idea house in quick order. Congratulations.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2018, 12:32 pm
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,456
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Scotland is truly beautiful and it would be worth a look imo. The music scene and friendly faces really does make for a inviting place to live. And it doesn't hurt to live in a place where money goes a bit further.

Do you think crime is any worse in Scotland than in Great Britain? I've heard various opinions but I'm not sure.
Crime can happen everywhere - even in the countryside where farmers have had problems with thefts of animals and farm equipment.
London has recently asked advice from Glasgow regarding Glasgow's success in reducing gang-related violent crime.
IMHO there is not significant difference Scotland and the rest of the UK - but it does depend on where you live.
cyrian is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:25 pm
  #35  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
Crime can happen everywhere - even in the countryside where farmers have had problems with thefts of animals and farm equipment.
London has recently asked advice from Glasgow regarding Glasgow's success in reducing gang-related violent crime.
IMHO there is not significant difference Scotland and the rest of the UK - but it does depend on where you live.
The stats bear out what you're saying. London is #4 with higher rate of crime incidents. Although it's also probably true that statistics don't tell the full story and there can be extenuating circumstances to explain certain facts. Which city do you think is safer between Glasgow versus Edinburgh and why? I lived in Manchester and saw my fair share of minor incidents but I never felt unsafe. We are going to witness crime even in the most remote areas in a country. It's human nature to sometimes resist following good behavior.

I know here in the states most crime happens in certain areas meaning they happened more often than not in areas known to suffer from lack of job opportunities, less opportunity to attain higher education. ect ect.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2018, 9:01 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

I'm happy to report that my friends are going to old Blighty for the holidays and will visit several cities .They just decided the other day to use the vacation break to tour places that he feels the Mrs will embrace. Both are very excited and ready to take in the sights & sounds and hopefully by the end of their holiday break they will know better, and that place where inner peace lives will speak to them. They are going to visit Bristol. Reading, Brighton, Luton, Bath, Oxford, Kent and a few more. They are also visiting Manchester because of all the wonderful things I've mentioned about the place. Fingers crossed for them. I told him to take her & kids to a fun exciting Castle for the weekend but don't tell her in advance. lol. He is going full court press on this move.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:42 am
  #37  
BE Forum Addict
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,456
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Which city do you think is safer between Glasgow versus Edinburgh and why? I lived in Manchester and saw my fair share of minor incidents but I never felt unsafe.
Huge question.
What do you mean by crime?
Personal violence; drug-related crime; property crime?
Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have their wealthy areas where you can find property crime e.g. car theft or housebreaking but perhaps not so much the other 2 types.
They both have their deprived areas where crime is more endemic. If you are aware of these areas then you can avoid them.
Glasgow is much larger than Edinburgh - not only in core population but also for the adjoining towns which surround it and which are not technically Glasgow. I suspect that per head of population, there is not a great difference.
For example, in Glasgow (actually outside Glasgow) there is a wealthy area with large houses; good schools and higher house prices - because people want to live there. Only one mile away there is an area of multiple deprivation with much social housing or former social housing; a lot of unemployment and lower life expectancy.
This is no different from most big cities in the world.
I was born in a deprived area in Glasgow and have never experienced (so far) anything other than petty crime.
cyrian is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:39 am
  #38  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
Huge question.
What do you mean by crime?
Personal violence; drug-related crime; property crime?
Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have their wealthy areas where you can find property crime e.g. car theft or housebreaking but perhaps not so much the other 2 types.
They both have their deprived areas where crime is more endemic. If you are aware of these areas then you can avoid them.
Glasgow is much larger than Edinburgh - not only in core population but also for the adjoining towns which surround it and which are not technically Glasgow. I suspect that per head of population, there is not a great difference.
For example, in Glasgow (actually outside Glasgow) there is a wealthy area with large houses; good schools and higher house prices - because people want to live there. Only one mile away there is an area of multiple deprivation with much social housing or former social housing; a lot of unemployment and lower life expectancy.
This is no different from most big cities in the world.
I was born in a deprived area in Glasgow and have never experienced (so far) anything other than petty crime.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I agree there is no major difference in most big cities in the western world. I've lived in Manchester and felt safe, and spent most of my time in the UK in Great Britain and although it's not that far away, my stay didn't include visits to our neighbor to the north. Unfortunately it was a omission on my part that I hope one day to correct. Interestingly enough I have a handful of friends from Scotland and I see that nation through their eyes.

My question about the level of crime in Scotland was general in scope. Sounds like you're saying that Glasgow and the outer areas have safe neighborhoods one by one right next to each other with multiple upscaled communities like you would see in Great Britain. I've gone on Rightmove to look for properties for my friends and the houses are amazing with so much character. Honestly, I would give Scotland a second look if it were me, but they know what's best for their family. And I get the fact that it's quite normal to want to experience living somewhere different. Scotland's culture is so rich and fun and I'm drawn to it.

I think avoiding most violent crime(which is the most concerning type) has a lot to do with being street smart and wise about one's decisions and surroundings . Being aware of the places in question and knowing something about it's potential problematic history. There are times when the neighborhood is upscaled and problem people still come a-hunting for trouble. That has happened to me in NYC when two guys tried to jump me while I was in Herald Square doing a bit of shopping.

Thankfully my physical attributes were well toned from all that weight lifting and time in the gym. I was a bit younger then as well. Safe to say they picked the wrong guy that day and the experience did not leave me with a bad impression of NY, it just left me with a good story to tell.

Weirdly enough my brother experienced an attempted mugging in upper NYC walking down stairs after getting off the bus making his way to the subway, and waiting in the third floor stairwell was a drugged out mugger with a huge knife. He put the knife to my brother's face and demanded all his money.

Usually when you transfer from the bus and walk down stairs to the subway your main focus is hopefully making your train on time and maybe if lucky getting an actual seat to rest from the journey. Instead, my brother had to do hand to hand combat just to make it to his train. Unfortunately for the mugger my brother has been taking Karate for over 10 years. Big brother managed to disarm the aggressor took the knife from him and broke his arm in three different places. The police were impressed. It wasn't until when my brother returned to his home that the seriousness of the attack hit him. He actually got nervous once he was home and he thought about what happened. He was in a so so neighborhood and my incident took place in a good area. Things can happen anywhere.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:00 pm
  #39  
BE Forum Addict
 
yellowroom's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Was Virginia, now Yorkshire.
Posts: 1,876
yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Do you think crime is any worse in Scotland than in Great Britain?.
spent most of my time in the UK in Great Britain and although it's not that far away, my stay didn't include visits to our neighbor to the north.
Just a note. Scotland is in Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales.
yellowroom is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 6:09 pm
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 2,358
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Just a note. Scotland is in Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales.
Exactly, it happens to be the largest of the islands in the British Isles, just off the coast of mainland Europe.
durham_lad is online now  
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:41 pm
  #41  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Just a note. Scotland is in Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland and Wales.
Is Northern Ireland considered a part of Great Britain?
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:48 pm
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 2,358
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Is Northern Ireland considered a part of Great Britain?
No.

The UK is made up of Great Britain and N. Ireland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain


durham_lad is online now  
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 12:18 am
  #43  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post

No.

The UK is made up of Great Britain and N. Ireland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain


Thanks.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:55 am
  #44  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,820
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
I kid them about their plans because they have accomplished all the difficult work. They've(he has) been planning this move for years and even the kids have duel citizenship. They just haven't figured out where they want to move to. The careers can be performed from a home office. He has some family in Brighton, his parents and siblings are all in Scotland, I think they want a fresh start. They go over for festivals and family visits once in a while. Now the kids are of school age they feel the time is right. He doesn't want to raise his children in America.

Surrey is not a bad drive to London. I wonder if the area has as many Festivals and other events compared to some of those places mentioned in my original post? Pretty sure they are going to rent first before buying a home. They want to be near many of the fun activities for adults. It's his belief that will make the transition easier for his wife who is happy about the move but a little concerned and nervous. They don't want to be in a place too slow. Somewhere fun with a vibrant nightlife for the weekends.
I suggested Manchester to them because that is where my family lived and it was a good experience.
Well a BIG thumbs up for daring to mention Manchester Most British ex-pats would have been horrified at such a suggestion not many years ago. I come from the Lancashire / Cheshire border area just half an hour from Manchester and altho i found it a fabulous area to grow up in .( Lake District / Derbyshire,Southport ,Morecombe and Blackpool all within spitting distance ) Even though it now has the BBC in Manchester ( good as dammit , over the bridge in Salford ) Best shopping mall in the country at the Trafford centre Even though it has two of the worlds top football teams . Man U and Man C... It still retains the stigma of a century of disdain from London and the southern counties. It still retains a myriad of disadvantages against the south. which this couple will have to contend with for their children.
The best schools are deemed to be in the south( apart from some private schools) ie thats where the money is ,so thats where its spent. These schools have 'fast tracks ' into higher education A far higher proportion of kids from the south make it into Oxbridge, which belies the higher population in the Northern conurbations . etc
Do they want their kids 'picked up' on their northern accent all the time. ? Might seem a small thing, but it drove me mad as an Ex-pat in the Netherlands. Every single southerner I met, picked me up on it over the 30 yrs I lived there. (Something a Northerner would never.
dream of doing. as its ill mannered)
Job prospects would most likely be far higher in the south than the north.For them and for their kids. in the future. ( Altho that changed for the first time this year .More IT jobs offered in the north than the south)
Believe me i HATE to say this because having family in both the north and the south of the country I know the north is far superior in quality of life ,work / life balance. than the south .which is now grossly overcrowded ,making travel on the roads and rail a nightmare for many.
They have so many things to take into account. then. Its going to be a matter of making a list of what is really important for them( including weather )
As the guy comes from Scotland but can work from home I would seriously consider the Lake District. It's a wealthier area of the north though so housing is expensive. in which case I would rent for a year .As the Kids are young this won't matter so much. It is deemed the most beautiful area of the country by many, close to motorways and all amenities .Manchester less than an hour and a half away. road and rail links to London.
In any event I would seriously suggest renting wherever they go. It will give them a chance to settle without commitment and take a good look around the country before they decide if its for them.Good luck to them
GeniB is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 10:03 am
  #45  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,829
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Well a BIG thumbs up for daring to mention Manchester Most British ex-pats would have been horrified at such a suggestion not many years ago. I come from the Lancashire / Cheshire border area just half an hour from Manchester and altho i found it a fabulous area to grow up in .( Lake District / Derbyshire,Southport ,Morecombe and Blackpool all within spitting distance ) Even though it now has the BBC in Manchester ( good as dammit , over the bridge in Salford ) Best shopping mall in the country at the Trafford centre Even though it has two of the worlds top football teams . Man U and Man C... It still retains the stigma of a century of disdain from London and the southern counties. It still retains a myriad of disadvantages against the south. which this couple will have to contend with for their children.
The best schools are deemed to be in the south( apart from some private schools) ie thats where the money is ,so thats where its spent. These schools have 'fast tracks ' into higher education A far higher proportion of kids from the south make it into Oxbridge, which belies the higher population in the Northern conurbations . etc
Do they want their kids 'picked up' on their northern accent all the time. ? Might seem a small thing, but it drove me mad as an Ex-pat in the Netherlands. Every single southerner I met, picked me up on it over the 30 yrs I lived there. (Something a Northerner would never.
dream of doing. as its ill mannered)
Job prospects would most likely be far higher in the south than the north.For them and for their kids. in the future. ( Altho that changed for the first time this year .More IT jobs offered in the north than the south)
Believe me i HATE to say this because having family in both the north and the south of the country I know the north is far superior in quality of life ,work / life balance. than the south .which is now grossly overcrowded ,making travel on the roads and rail a nightmare for many.
They have so many things to take into account. then. Its going to be a matter of making a list of what is really important for them( including weather )
As the guy comes from Scotland but can work from home I would seriously consider the Lake District. It's a wealthier area of the north though so housing is expensive. in which case I would rent for a year .As the Kids are young this won't matter so much. It is deemed the most beautiful area of the country by many, close to motorways and all amenities .Manchester less than an hour and a half away. road and rail links to London.
In any event I would seriously suggest renting wherever they go. It will give them a chance to settle without commitment and take a good look around the country before they decide if its for them.Good luck to them
They have a lot of choices, but going to a better school also doesn't mean anything these days. You end up paying more for housing/education and then there's still no guarantee you'll end up having a better quality of life. As you say, probably better to stick to an area with less people and you don't have to go to Oxbridge to get a job.
Moses2013 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.